Why Saban should take the Texas job

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Dec 8, 2013.

1. BARRYisaWinnah

BARRYisaWinnah Member

Ratings Received:
    +52

you are lucky the new board switched over and I can't easily search for your posts in those threads, but ok buddy, if you say so.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    what?
  3. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I do say so, I know what I said. And Like I said before, everybody knows how I feel about Skylar playing QB
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    All those reasons make sense for Saban. With little else to accomplish and his penchant for wanting to move on to new challenges makes it plausible
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I can imagine. They would really want the guy gone if he had lost as many as.... ahhh, nevermind.

It's not a stretch to imagine Bama appearing handicapped next year breaking in a new QB. Worst case scenario we have "equal" passing games. But I also remember they were still pulling it together in game to start the season and everyone said Bama was vulnerable, and they really weren't. We catch them early, but that goes both ways. We'll likely be much better end of next season than in our first few SEC games.

There's just not that much difference. It's insulting to Skyler for you to put that out there. Ok, I'll concede we might have won a game or two more. But we were blown out in most of our losses. There is nothing from our previous two seasons that tells me Jeff was a two TD loss per game to our offense's production.

Alabama will be superior to us in the trenches. From 2011-2013(three classes) they have recruited

13 OL
    14 DL

7 RBs
    10 WRs
    9 LBs

Compared to our

13 DL (several not on roster, McCallister, Cox, Westbrook have yet to produce)
    8 OL (several already not on roster, 4 from 2013 will be RS FR)
    RB (just not on same level yet)
    WR (have a few)

I know Bama's going to be breaking in a new QB but they don't have to pass it all over the field to beat us. Vandy didn't, Ga Southern didn't. We will be in a brand new system.

I know we'll have a few SRs from 2010 that should help us, but Bama must have some as well.

At this point Bama has, better staff, proven system, home game. If we win it will be a pleasant surprise. Hope it doesn't come down to STs play.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    Wow…you didn't even watch the game? I can't imagine missing seeing a Gator game by choice. It's sad how far the program has dropped, but I'll never not watch the Gators.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Bama is not going to be superior in the trenches. I see you put some numbers down but how have they played? Are all of them on campus still?. What about the transfers UF got. What about the players that got kicked off etc...?

I understand you are a fan of oversigning, taking grade risk, processing kids etc but Foley is not going to allow the staff to do it. Muschamp has to work with what Foley allows and even with all the restrictions our talent is on the level of Bama's or any other team we play next year

Talking about Vandy and GA southern this year is ridiculous look how many injuries we had and look at who UF's QB were. Look at the talent differnce between Jeff and Skylar.
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I think the program is fine
  9. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
  10. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Hey man give the guy a break. You know I usually agree with you but you've gotta go easy on him. He wasn't attacking you or anything
  11. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I am so glad we are switching to a uptempo spread offense. If you try to out-Saban Saban you end up like MSU against Bama in that bowl game in 2010...which was a 49-7 loss. Now granted we have more talent than MSU, but still you can't out-Saban Saban. Creative wide open offenses are what beat his defenses. 3 yards and a cloud of dust plays right into his hands.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. j7

j7 Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I think I read somewhere about the HC at Texas having to deal with the Longhorn Network responsibilities/coverage. Maybe that is something Saban would not be too fond of.
  13. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    I like how folks keep bring up Alabama taking a step back due to them starting a new QB. Let's review 2008(McElroy) and 2011(McCarron). Weren't those seasons where Saban had to start a new, inexperienced QB? He went 12-2 in McElroy's first season as the starting QB, and went 13-1(national champion) in McCarron's first season as the starting QB. It is a lot easier for a new QB when you just have to manage the game behind a superior OL and have talented RBs and WRs around you and a nasty defense to back you up. Alabama played a lot of young players this year, so don't expect them to take too much of a step back.

Back to the topic at hand. Texas and Alabama carry the same level of expectations. It is just that Saban has done an insane job at achieving them, while Mack Brown has struggled since 2009.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Blake Sims is no McCarron and who is going to play left tackle for Bama next year a true freshmen? Next year's Oline is not the Oline of the past. They are going to need to throw the football at times
  15. number1

Ratings Received:
    +296
    I don't know, but player development and recruiting could fill that void. Saban has a track record of doing that, so why doubt that he does it again? That's the fun of coaching, replacing players and finding ways to hide your weaknesses.
  16. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    McElroy's first season as starter was the 2009 national title season. In 2008 Bama's QB was John Parker Wilson. JPW stunk.
  17. number1

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Well that proves my point even more. lol
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    You don't need to know who lost his puppy in fifth grade, to know a team. Bama is hell. At home it is even worse. Thinking a list of names means more than the list of names, isn't even football as it is a team sport. If you want to be a biographer, then knowing each and every one might mean something. Ask Mel what he thinks of the talent Bama has. The rest of us already know without having to list anyone as they are all spelled Bama...

Their recruiting has been top notch without gaps. They are at home. We will be installing a new O and new systems without the depth they have due to recruiting gaps and attrition.

I hope you are right, but win or lose, the list of Bama players isn't as important as the team and coaching they have.
  19. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Saban has never stayed long at any other place. He may have reahed the saturation point iof living football 365 days a year and has nothing left to prove. That said the Big 12 conference is second rate just like the BIg 10....so what's he gain except money...maybe. I hope he stays for the the good of the SEC.
  20. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Given the huge questions on offense at UF, I really can't be that optimistic. Muschamp says he wants a big-time offense, but until he hires a coordinator and we get an early look at the new system in the spring, it's really just talk. In the meantime, Saban has proven he can win in any season, including in a rebuilding year. He'll likely be much more concerned about beating Auburn, LSU, Auburn and Mississippi than Florida.
    • Agree Agree x 1