Why play such a tough early-season schedule?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GreenandScaly, Dec 3, 2013.

1. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    Duke never plays road games...the arizona game was in new york. They play one road game every 10 years for the acc/big ten challenge. UK plays even fewer road games. Only playing Louisville on the road or nc. Uks big 12/sec challenge game isn't even on the road. They play baylor in dallas. They can't ever actually play a real team on the road more than once a year.
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    It almost is two fold. We get a loss uconn/wisconsin get a 'quality win' that none of them will remember the circumstances and that will look a lot better at the end of the season after we get healthy
  3. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    This. And get more national coverage/publicity, respect and credit with the selection committee.
  4. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    I dig the schedule. Would rather play good teams any day. Playing them makes you better, gets you more exposure.
  5. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Pretty simple, you play a tougher schedule you have a better looking resume, even if you lose some of those tough games. I'd wager that if we played the teams we are playing this year in the years we missed the tourney we wouldn't have missed it. imo the committee looks more highly at a close loss on the road to a ranked team rather than a blowout win over a non ranked team.
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    I think its hard to find a team that plays more top 10 caliber teams OOC than Kentucky.

That being said, the fact of the matter is that it doesn't make financial sense for teams to play road games OOC. Why on earth would UK play a home-and-home with Baylor when they can play a home game in Rupp followed by a neutral site game where the profit is split? Repugnant as this may sound, most teams have to play true road games in the non conference schedule if they want to schedule very good teams. This isn't as true for teams like Duke and Kentucky. Also, I dont' see how you can even group those two teams together. Duke absolutely doesn't play true road games non-conference and Kentucky has one every single year with a top 6 or 7 all-time program (UNC or UL).

UK's "road" game against Baylor Friday is going to be in the same stadium that houses the final four this year AND it results in more money for the program. Call it chicken if you want, but I call it smart and can't think of a coach or program that wouldn't prefer this option over a home-and-home.
  7. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I thought Duke was in Arizona...that crowd from the replays seemed very heavy Arizona so I assumed it had to be at Arizona cause Duke never gets outnumbered in neutral sites.
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +796
    because if we had an easy non-conference schedule folks would complain about that
  9. BLING

BLING Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    Because we had a beast team this year if not for all the injuries, Walker ineligiblity, and Harris situation. I doubt when the schedule was being made Billy D planned on having only 6 guys available. He showed in years past that when we have a "weak" team - he will make the schedule a little easier. And when he thinks he has a team, he might try and get an extra premier game or two.

Plus I think the SEC is pushing for the basketball programs to schedule a few more tough games lately - after having so many teams left off the bubble due to weak scheduling.
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397

Indeed! And poor Mike Hill was the recipient of my email tirades regarding our crappy scheduling.
    I love what we are doing now.
  11. King8r

King8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    Exactly. Preparing for the SEC schedule. You can improve best by playing good teams.
  12. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,719

You were one of the first ones to come to mind when I mentioned this upthread. Just didn't want to call you out by name.
  13. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    When we look at our tourney resume in February and March, our strength of schedule will be high, and you will not see the following next to our name: "Bad losses: @ Wisc., @ UConn". Scheduling good competition builds a post-season team and resume, win or lose.
  14. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    You improve by playing tougher teams, but when almost everyone is either injured or suspended, ineligible or recovering from injuries, it is difficult to win against tough teams anytime in the year, but you are still better off learning to play against tough competition, even if you lose some. And no, you aren't learning to lose. That is not something you learn.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Agree with this. You guys wouldn't be a better team if you had two more wins against lesser teams. Considering both losses were to good teams, on the road, and were so close, I think this is even more true.

Those two games make Kansas and Memphis more important though. Its nice to have as many quality wins as possible on selection Sunday and the SEC doesn't look as if it'll offer up many opportunities. Not the end of the world though either way. Certainly the committee will look closer at games you guys had a complete roster for than these early ones.
  16. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    You learn so much more about your team after games like last week and tonight. And God knows, you might win one of them too!
  17. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    And here is why. We just got a win better than anything we might get in the SEC other than Kentucky