"Why Millennials Long for Liturgy"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Jan 14, 2014.

1. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,968
    There is a new church in our denomination that is just getting started up in Jacksonville called the Sonlife church. I'd highly suggest you seek it out. Their pastor, Rev. Bob Hovey is a good man and our church partners with them for something called the Buddy Walk every year. I believe they are a little more contemporary than my church but the overall theology and polity will be very similar.
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,999
    That's the ARP I grew up in, along with 1st Methodist across the lake. Pastor Chad has been a fine replacement for 'the Rock' the few times I have been able to attend your church. My oldest really enjoys the youth group when he is not at sports practices.
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +738
    Both EFCA churches we have attended were great with this with excellent expository preaching. I love when a pastor digs in and attempts to provide the best meaning of the scripture. I know nothing about the St. Augustine one but here is there info.

http://coquina.org/
  4. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,065
    Because, today's culture makes it uncool to be religious... wgbgator's post on page one is a perfect example of this.

The self-appointed 'nuanced' among us have embarked on a crusade to identify anyone who believes in a religion (except Muslims who are to be protected at all costs...) as less intelligent.

It's not enough for them to simply follow their own advice concerning the homosexual lifestyle, live and let live, when it comes to religion. They all feel th need to be vocal in their condemnation.

You can SE it here, on this very thread. May young people cave to peer pressures (and the indoctrination they receive in the education system) and shun religion. They are even taught to vilify those they meet who dare to believe. Later in life, when they finally figure out how manipulated they have been, and that the peer pressures have long since disappeared (for most) with their youth, they find religion.

It's just not cool today to believe...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    The "Family Life Center" has destroyed more church ministries than any other issue, probably including immorality scandals.

There are thriving churches who have gone down to bankruptcy (or worse, sold their property to a mosque or abortion clinic) because they just HAD to have that big gym next to the sanctuary. Borrowing $$$ is NOT "living by faith". Paying off the loan CERTAINLY isn't. You steal from the future for immediate gratification and that is NOT sanctioned in Scripture.

"If you can't afford it... don't build it" is a good rule of thumb. The treasure of the Bible-believing church is NOT in lands and building, it is in PEOPLE.
  6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,506
    Well, arguably a 'church' is not scriptural.
  7. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,968
    I'll agree and disagree. Our church built a family life center a few years back with a gym, media room, fellowship hall, classrooms, etc. and has put it to really good use, including leasing to a local school for special needs kids that was without a home for a while and outreach opportunities like weekly basketball and indoor soccer. It wasn't undertaken lightly but there are ways to do it responsibly, including borrowing, provided you have good leadership and financial management. A church should certainly not go upside down on a loan, but borrowing at a low rate when you can invest at a higher rate of return is not only logical, but proper stewardship.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Look guys, its not about the liturgy and steeples, its about the clergy and peoples. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    As you have a B.S.ing history on Too Hot, you will need to supply a link to substantiate your charge that churches sold their property to Muslims for a mosque or to be converted into an abortion clinic. I searched online for articles pertaining to such and found only one that might apply. It was the sale of an Episcopal church in Binghamton, NY. The church had severed its association with the increasingly liberal ECUSA and affiliated with a separatist Anglican group. The ECUSA held title to the church and refused to sell it to the separated congregation when they were offered $150,000 for the property. Bishop Katharine Schori has a policy of refusing to sell church property to congregations separating from the ECUSA. The EC then sold the church building to a mosque for $50,000. I wonder what Jesus would have said about the poor stewardship of the EC regarding this matter.

Two other churches ended up as mosques. One was no longer being used as a church and had been bought by investors. Some time after that these investors sold the former church property to Muslims. Another concerned a First Assembly of God church property that was foreclosed. The bank regained title and sold the building to Muslims.

No church sold its property to be used for an abortion clinic. There is a building in Grand Rapids Michigan that was build 200 years ago to be used as a synagogue. When the congregation outgrew the building it was sold to an Orthodox church that in turn also outgrew it. It was then sold to an investment group that converted it into commercial property. The investors subsequently leased it to an abortionist who operated there for 9 years. In 1999 the investors put the former church building up for sale attracting the attention of a right to life group. After raising the funds needed to purchase the building, the group acquired the building in 2013 and evicted the abortionist. A pregnancy resource now occupies the former church/synagogue.