Why is buying a car so hard?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by corpgator, Aug 30, 2013.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,865
    The simple answer: do your homework in advance of any contact. Look at offers for similar vehicles and know what you want to do, and know that time must me on your side. If they laugh in your face, don't take it personally but resolve to get what you want. Eventually someone will meet your demands. But to presume that you can walk into any place and walk out with a vehicle on your terms is not likely. They are in the profit business and they are good at it. Patience is pretty much all you have on your side.

And make sure they don't make some last minute changes. That resets the negotiations time clock.

Good luck.
  2. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,865
    The simple answer: do your homework in advance of any contact. Look at offers for similar vehicles and know what you want to do, and know that time must me on your side. If they laugh in your face, don't take it personally but resolve to get what you want. Eventually someone will meet your demands. But to presume that you can walk into any place and walk out with a vehicle on your terms is not likely. They are in the profit business and they are good at it. Patience is pretty much all you have on your side.

And make sure they don't make some last minute changes. That resets the negotiations time clock.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +934
    They do try to rip you off. On a new car you should get 10% off MSRP, on a used you should never pay more than 30% off. Leases you are screwed, I would never lease. I was a finance manager at a Toyota dealership at one point in my life. I know the numbers and they will screw you every chance they get.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,204
    Recently bought a new car in Gville, did the homework, did the test drives, we were happy with either accord or camry, then had the dealers negotiate with dealers in Orlando, Daytona and St Aug, until we got his best price - which was the lowest of the 4 and took the 60 mo 0% financing on a price lower than the online services predicted for the Camry Hybrid. The internet has taken away many of the advantages dealers used to have on hold backs, incentives etc - knowledge is power - you just have to be prepared to walk away if the deal isn't what you want
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    If you are not going to keep a car at least 7 years, having a leased vehicle with included maintenance can put you ahead financially.
  6. lwg8tr

lwg8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Just bought 3 months ago...my midlife crisis baby..2006 Dodge Charger Daytona...5.7 Hemi with a K&N FIPK and Diablo tuner....estimated horses 400. Fast like a scalded dog, kicking sound system, leather and suede interior and gets 26pmg on the highway.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    They forgot one...At the end of the rental term you give back the car and you're left without a car. At the end of a lease you give back the car and you're left without a car. Oops, this was supposed to be a list of how leasing and rental are different. Never mind. :wink:
  8. ufbeta

ufbeta VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    Only if you don't drive. The mileage restrictions can kill you. Been a long time since I've seen any situations where a lease was a better move financially.
  9. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    There are a few times a lease can be good. It is a way to drive a higher end vehicle at a low monthly payment. Also if for a business car many times the cost is written off. The nicer cars are cheap to lease because they don't lose value as fast and that's what you are paying when you lease. Like a few have already said you better make sure you will not be going over the max miles in the lease. Also take care of it. If you trash it you will pay for it. As low as interest rates are I would buy after doing research on the computer for a good price.
  10. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    auto sales---the list price is irrelevant and the trading price is basically pure bargaining and subject to deception on the part of the seller. The optimal strategy is to use a site like TrueCar and bid low, forcing the seller to accept the lowest number they are comfortable with or lose the sale.
  11. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Very nice guys -thanks
    I'll be in the market for a new truck in the next 6 months or so.