Why is buying a car so hard?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by corpgator, Aug 30, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    I'm trying to lease a new car. Having learned from earlier experiences, I'm trying to negotiate the price of the car first and then go on to the lease using that price as the net capitalized cost. The problem is, no one will give me a quote without me "coming in."

I did finally get a price by using USAA's car buying service. I then tried to use that price to get a lower price from other dealers and either they've sent me funny numbers expecting me to be tricked into coming in. Literally they can't even add properly. Or they simply say "come in" so they can use high pressure tactics.

I already tried to negotiate with a local dealer in person. After the test drive, he swore he was honest and would give his best price up front. It was absurdly high. We started to haggle and then I left after realizing that even if I could get to the price I wanted, he had already lied to me in the first place by saying we didn't need to negotiate.

I don't understand the business. Someone is going to sell me car, so I though they'd actually want to get my business. Why can't car dealerships offer a price and stick to it? Nearly ever other product has a set price with built in profit that's not there to get more out of a person who cracks under pressure.
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +645
    Agree. It sucks. Noone is more F.0.S than a car salesman. I buy a brand new truck, drive it into the ground and buy another one 10yrs later. I dread walking in. I only have about 4 more times I suppose. Lol.
  3. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +749
    I guess buying a car isn't hard but not getting ripped off is.
  4. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    We worked out financing privately first and walked in money in hand. It gave us all the leverage and we showed them the numbers from comparable cars from other dealers. We were prepared to walk away "cash" in hand, so they were very VERY motivated to work with us. We got a good deal on an "off-year" that had all of 50 miles on it (it was the showroom model so not even test driven). Since we average 12-15 years a car, we didn't care it was technically an 09 in early 2010. Very, very happy and will likely do the same next time :) Good luck
  5. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +645
    I was gonna pay cash, but they offered 36 months zero interest before I wrote the check. Jumped on that.
  6. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
  7. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    if you know how much the invoice of the car is, and you know what Holdback is, and you are ready to buy and you have a set price in hand and financing (which they wont like) go into the dealership play their "4 square neg. game" until they bring your their first offer.

When they bring you their first offer, laugh at them, then tell them that you already did your homework, and this is what you're willing to pay for the vehicle at that moment and that you have financing done already and give them the choice.

Walk out on them, don't be scared to. they will think you're bluffing but walk out on them. Another great tactic is calling the other dealership while you're there discussing price.

Or your can go to the website and pick a car and pit dozens of dealerships against each other.

I've never paid window for a car, I sold cars for a few years so I know how the system works.
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    I think you're mixing buying a car with renting a car...you'll never get the deal you're trying to make that way.
  9. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +266
    I hate the question, "What were you wanting your monthly payments to be?" I always just say $10.
  10. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +266
    I've had a couple of places ask for my driver's license for the test drive. Then they conveniently forget to give it back and when I try to walk out they hold me captive for a little while until I demand my license back. Jerks.
  11. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
  12. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Leasing a car is not renting. Look at how leases are calculated and you will see that if you don't negotiate the price of the car first, you're going to get taken. Besides, they have no idea I'm trying to lease. All they know is I'm looking for a price to buy.
  13. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    How are car renting and car leasing different

Leasing is a form of financing; renting is not. Lease terms begin at 24 months; renting can be for as little as a day or less.

You may be able to swap cars in the middle of a rental; not so with leasing. Since leasing is a form of financing, customer credit scores, income, and debt are important; not so with renting.

Leasing appears on your credit report just like a loan; renting does not. Defaulting on a lease damages your credit score; defaulting on a rental does not.

With renting, you choose your vehicle from rental companies' available makes and models. With leasing, you can lease any new vehicle make and model you want.

It's easy to end a rental early by simply returning the car, while ending a lease early can be very costly, because it's a long-term contract.

For the same length of time, renting is much more expensive than leasing.
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,865
    buying a car is easy to me. find one you like, make them an offer, they say no, walk away. rinse, repeat until somebody says yes.

in your case, I would tell them what I was willing to pay and what terms were acceptable and make them understand that you are qualified to come down and sign the documents. I usually have better luck doing it further away from home and telling the owner that I am not traveling until I know that the numbers work and I will have a ride bringing me so I can drive it back providing that it is as represented.

the hard part is walking away from a car after you have invested countless hours in it. they know that.
  15. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,234
    If you're buying a new car, when you know what you want, contact the internet sales managers of several local dealers for a quote. Be specific on color(s) and features you want and don't want.

You'll almost certainly get as good a quote back from at least one of them as you'd ever negotiate at any dealer, but without all the hassle.

Last time I did this we did better than I thought we could do. My wife had a car throw a belt and the engine seize on a Friday. We decided to get a new car rather than rebuild the engine. We test drove several models we thought would work for her on Saturday and settled on what she wanted. Late Saturday afternoon I sent emails to probably a half dozen dealerships.

By Sunday late morning, I had several quotes back including two that were a couple thousand below the price that Edmunds says people in my area were paying for that car. The quotes varied by $2500 between local dealers.

I contacted the dealer with the best quote and set up a 1pm test drive. We were out the door at 3pm with the new car at the price we were quoted.

Completely painless. No haggling.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,054
    Get the invoice price from truecar.com. Depending on whether it's a hot model, you should be able to pay from 1000 under to 500 over invoice.
  18. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +645
    I don't know where ya'll live, but after the Toyota dealership in Pensacola, the next closest is Mobile and hour away, then Panama city almost 3 hours away. I could have saved about 600-750 but I would have spent a day traveling. Also, toyota gives you 5 free service for the first 25k miles at the dealer where you purchased. If I have any problems, I don't have the time to waste. The savings aren't worth it, imo.
  19. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +712
    Second TrueCar. Wife and I bought a car last year and it was an easy experience. We did our initial research narrowed it to 4 cars and went out and test drove them and got the first "price". Went home and narrowed it to two cars and used TrueCar to see what we should be paying.

Went into the Mazda dealership told them what I wanted to pay, asked for their best offer and told them I was going to the Nissan dealership next. If Nissan gave me a better offer on the car I wouldn't be coming back so they needed to give me the best offer now.

Went to Nissan and told them I was going to Mazda next and basically the same thing. Mazda played ball. Nissan tried to trick me with bullshit tactics. Bought the Mazda for less than invoice.
  20. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,609
    Easiest way to do it is send an email to multiple dealerships (put them all in the header) and tell them what you're willing to pay and what your pre-approved financing rate is (or in the case of a lease, money factor and residual). Tell them first one to bite gets your business