"Why I'm a creationist"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tim85, Jul 11, 2013.

1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +967
    Just a short editorial written by a random Yahoo! Arts & Entertainment writer that I thought was kind of insightful. Creationists could relate and the non-creationists could find it at least insightful.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-im-a-creationist-141907217.html

2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Good article- thanks for posting.
  3. reformedgator

reformedgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Just out of curiosity I Googled the different odds that were given by mathematicians & some evolutionists of a single cell evolving into the complex & immense life forms we have today. The number of zeros were staggering. So it's no wonder that there are some who believe that we are not a cosmic accident but created on purpose & for a purpose.
  4. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    If Earth was the only planet where life was capable, and now was the only time it could have happened then you'd have a point, but the universe is a very big place that's been around a very long time, so the odds of it not happening some time, somewhere in the universe are small.

A way to think of it is that the chances of flipping a coin 1000 time and getting tails every single time are pretty slim, but if you have trillions of people flipping those coins over billions of years the odds of it happening at least once are much greater.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    one thing that many religious folks don't consider is the following

many scientists, etc who believe in evolution, Big Bang, etc also believe in God. Many scientists believe that regardless of whether you are talking Big bang, evolution, etc there is either a starting point before which there was 'nothing' or there was a transition from 'something else' to what currently exists. And many of those scientists believe God to have created the 'starting point'. There are also scientists who believe in some sort of infinite loop of existence leaving no room for God.

So many scientists believe in god and creation. The sticking point between those scientists and religion is a sort of moot argument of where God made the starting point.

To me, the main thing is believing in God. But that is of course, simply my opinion.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    I'm a creationist who - if pressed - could probably find a few good points from Ahmedinejad. :laugh: Life is a little less rigid if you don't treat everything as black and white.
  7. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +967
    For life to exist on Earth, and this is only our Earth, to paraphrase my Astronomy professor, "if you were to stack dimes from the side of the Earth facing the moon - the dimes covering that face and reaching to the moon, and for their to be 10 dimes separated within those stacks specifically marked - the odds of life forming are comparable to that of a blind man choosing those 10 dimes from those stacks."

I dont care what perspective you choose to have on it - that's staggering and almost silly.
  8. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    This is a reasonable analogy:

A way to think of it is that the chances of flipping a coin 1000 time and getting tails every single time are pretty slim, but if you have trillions of people flipping those coins over billions of years the odds of it happening at least once are much greater.

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=266005#ixzz2YlFyzzoe

My question is - who created the materials to make the coin to flip, space, gravity, etc. in the in the first place?
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,274
    Maybe I'm misreading, but at the end she seems to be conflating "science" with social science, which seems ignorant, frankly. That's a shame, I enjoyed her pieces in the NYT magazine when she was writing there, she has interesting things to say about technology. Not so much here.
  10. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,818
    Yes, if you ignore the rest of universe, it is silly.
  11. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    Now add to the analogy it had to happen more than once on the same planet and within about 20 to 30 years of each other and that they had to be of the opposite sex and they had to find each other on this huge planet etc., etc., etc. Evolution without God requires an enormous amount of faith.
  12. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,274
    I dont see the need to assume that there is a "creator," even if its not God and some kind of "event" like the big bang. Essentially, I think the idea that "something" can't come from "nothing" is mostly the result of ingrained Western/Judeo-Christian outlook/metaphysics.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    Science doesn't really support it either, which is why the Big Bang is a very ambiguous concept.
  14. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    Could it not just as easily all been created by the devil?
  15. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    "Evolution without God requires an enormous amount of faith."

What IS God?

Is it reasonable to believe God is First Cause without knowing what First Cause Is?

If God as creator calls into being all there is, what can be discerned of God from what is continuously and universally manifested?
  16. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,274
    Yeah, only a vested interest in a "creator" or "creation" logically necessitates the need for the concept of "nothingness."
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    Well let's be fair, that's not what you said.
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,274
    It is more or less. The idea of "creation" is deeply inbedded in our thinking, even among non-believers and scientists. Metaphysically, we've been operating and undertaking almost every pursuit scientific or not, with that notion ingrained in our outlook.
  19. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    God is our Creator. I don't need to know how He did it. I need to know who did it. I simply don't believe all the randomness just happened that resulted in 'man' and as I mentioned had to happen again and again and again just perfectly. That belief requires an amount of faith I do not possess. I believe someone created it all and once I came to that conclusion I set about the task of finding that someone. Fortunately, He found me and I am forever grateful.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    I'm pretty sure the accusation of tautology doesn't really stick to Darwin very well.
    "Whatever survives survives." Really? Lots of bold claims about in depth cogitation that are laid out more as shallow observation.

It definitely seems more fair to view "creationist" as an abstract, subjective stance...so I'll keep trying to give creationists the benefit of the doubt, regardless of how unimpressive some of these justifications are.