Why I hate the scUMbags - and so should you

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +803
    Not to hijack the thread, sav, but Tulane is considered the same way.
    Great university to Southerners, daycare for rich Northern kids.
  2. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +841
    Tulane withdrew from the SEC and never won a Championship.
  3. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    My grandpa went to Coral Gables high school. He played football and basketball. He often talks about how his basketball coach knew UM's coach and that he had played pickup games with Rick Barry. I think the two of you might've teammates. He graduated in 1957 I think or maybe 1956. We're you there at that time? That'd be pretty cool
  4. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +841
    No, I graduated in 1965 and Larry Rentz was my teammate. Your grandpa preceded me and Rick Barry by several years. I played against another name you might know-Ted Hendricks of football fame. He was a good round ball player at Hialeah High. I backed up Neal Walk at center on the freshman Gator basketball team. We were 19-1.
  5. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Good stuff man. That's awesome. I called my grandpa and it seems I had my facts wrong. He had played against Barry and some other guys in a handful of pickup games at a church down there years ago. My grandpa was one of those guys who never quit playing. Up until he was 70 he would still want to play in our annual family thanksgiving day football game. Pretty amazing experiences and memories you have.
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,285
    My perception since I left the state of Florida and stopped road-tripping to games has changed entirely. When I first got to Chicago, I ran into a lot of UM grads, all of them musicians, composers, arrangers and producers in the commercial music industry. They were for the most part clueless about sports at their alma mater. Almost none of them were Florida natives.

I moved away from Chicago for ten years, but eventually got sucked into the maelstrom of helping my kids find the best schools. My twins went to a very good suburban Chicago high school, but what really set the school apart for me was the knowledge and support we had from their deans/counselors in choosing colleges. The reputation of the University of Miami was nothing like the perception I previously had. It wasn't a southern school. It wasn't anyway related to the state of Florida. The kids applying there were also applying to NYU, Syracuse, BU, BC, Tufts, etc. The counselors were positive about the academics, social life and the overall setting. Year-in, year-out, UM does one of the best presentations of all the 100 plus schools that visit. Looking at their admissions profile through the high school's Naviance portal, the admissions standards looked pretty tough. It was comparable to UF's, but hard to substantiate because so few students from OPRF apply to UF and almost none end up there. Two or three students a year end up at UM. The two from my kids' class were very sharp. Three more from the following class are starting at UM this fall. (No one from UF in three or four years) The white trash thing just doesn't hold up. These kids are from good families. Their parents went to good schools. It's a world class academic institution with a successful, but dodgy sports legacy. (Up here, all three collegiate sports programs in Florida share that reputation.)

I'm sure if I got back down there for a game, I'd be reminded of the trashy clueless fans they have. I don't think they are students or alum. They're just people who need something to part of that was worth starting a fight over.
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,026
    It would be great if this were the case, but I think Miami fans will show up for this one. It will be a better showing than our last trip to the OB, but I still think we'll have the clear minority of fans there.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    Ive known quite a few Cane alums over the years and they are just as obnoxious as the subway alums. In fact I used to work with a couple of golden canes and they were as obnoxious as it gets........when they won. The notion that they all guidos and return to NJ upon graduation is old news. It is a good academic school, better than FSU anyway.

Thankfully in recent years they have had nothing to brag about, not even baseball, hopefully it stays that way.
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,014
    LMAO.
  10. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +841
    My theory as to why the "U" hasn't already received its well deserved punishment is because Shalala is using her political connections with the Clintons to muscle the NCAA to make sure
    Miami gets off light with little or no real damage.
  11. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    This would be a great week for the NCAA to drop the hammer, preferably about an hour before kickoff. That would really mess with UM's heads.
  12. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +841
    That is if the hammer really gets dropped.
  13. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    The only time I ever thought my family and I would be physically and violently assaulted near the Swamp was the last time Miami played there. We were thoroughly verbally assaulted and three huge guys got in my face with fists when I told one to stop grabbing at my wife's butt after they made all sorts of crude comments toward her in front of my kids. A motorcycle cop stopped and they went on their way. I hated Miami and their fans before that. You can imagine what I think of them now.
  14. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +841
    FearNoSpear-my experiences pale in comparison to my Dad's. He was a two-way starting tackle as well as the field goal kicker for the Gators. He jumped center for the Gators in basketball. He was the starting and star pitcher on the Gator baseball team. Hungary Gator asked for and posted pictures of Dad playing at old Florida Field in the thirties. Dad was a Deputy Sheriff for Dade County and died when I was eleven. All that remains are his scrapbooks, so I'm proud of his accomplishments. I maybe wrong but so far as I know he maybe the only 3 sport starter for the Gators.
  15. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +438
    I had the chance to go to the ref$u-scum game in Doak in '09. It was my first time ever to see ref$u play and the first time I had seen the cocanes since Schnellenberger's FIRST GAME coaching them in 1979.

I have never seen a bigger contrast between 2 fan bases. Ever. And by my standards the ref$u folks were somewhat low-rent (I watched some ref$u kids stealing a street sign after the game... they were girls).

But the scum fans were in an entirely different universe altogether. I have been around drunk bammers and driven through BAD trailer parks in my lifetime, so I have seen people at their worst. The scum fans made East St. Louis look good. It was as if the worst prison in some Third World country had just sent all its inmates to Tallahassee to watch a football game.

I would not go to that game Saturday down there if I were PAID to attend.
  16. Judgemickey

Judgemickey Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    That being said, I still despise UGA the most; F$U next followed closely by scUM.