Why I despise Georgia ... and why you should too

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ufla5220, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Those who know me well have probably heard me say this before: the greatest mistake General Sherman made in his march to the sea during the Civil War is that he didn't detour to Athens, burn the city to the ground then salt the earth so it would be uninhabitable for generations to come.

With that you might conclude -- correctly, I might add -- that I despise Georgia. Not the state, mind you. I have a lot of good friends in the state. It's the University of Georgia, and for good reason.

So, I'm reprinting my 2009 column that explains my reasoning. Feel free to agree with me.

October 29, 2009

By Franz Beard

I do this every year so if you’re reading along and thinking this is very similar to something I write every year, move to the head of the class. This is Florida-Georgia week, time for my annual reminder to the Gator Nation why I despise the University of Georgia and why you should, too.

I have gone on record as saying that I despise Georgia with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. I take that back. That’s not even close. I would cheer for a team quarterbacked by Osama Bin-Laden to stomp Georgia unmercifully. And it doesn’t matter the sport, I pull for Georgia to lose by an embarrassingly large margin. I never wish for injuries, just seriously wounded pride and a lasting feeling of shame for ever putting on that red and black uniform.

Some people tell me they always pull for SEC teams when they are playing out of conference. I do with one exception and that’s Georgia. As far as I am concerned there is only one reason to ever pull for Georgia in anything and that is if a Georgia win helps the Florida Gators win a championship. Otherwise, I see no reason to wish anything but the worst.

And before I go any further, Gators do not refer to the Georgia Bulldogs as “Dawgs.” We are Gators who actually went to college, not a bunch of functioning illiterate rednecks who can’t spell a simple four-letter word.

The reasons to despise Georgia are many and they go well beyond the 2007 storm the field incident, one of the dumbest decisions ever made by a head coach. Mark Richt might have gotten his team motivated to win the 2007 game against the Gators, but he endangered everyone on the field; lied about it for an entire year afterward; and never took into consideration that in showing up Urban Meyer he created an enemy for life. Trust me on this one folks — Urban Meyer NEVER forgets.

Meyer’s way of getting even was to call time out twice in the final minute of last year’s 49-10 blowout win by the Gators. Both times, Richt and all the Georgia players looked up at the scoreboard to see the score and the few remaining seconds on the clock, a grim reminder that they were getting hosed.

It’s laughable that Georgia fans and players talk about how Urban Meyer disrespected them. All they do when they open their mouths is remind Meyer of what happened in 2007 and give him reason to throw another 40-gallon can of gas on the fire.

“The Incident” didn’t cause Florida to lose the 2007 game. A lack of blocking and failure to take care of the football turned a game the Gators could have easily won into a loss they’ll never forget and that is the silver lining to this dark cloud. Urban Meyer will never let the Gators forget.

I’ll give you a few other reasons.

REASON NUMBER ONE: My dad was a 16-year-old freshman at the University of Florida in 1942, biding his time until he was 18 when he could sign up to join the Navy to fight the Germans and the Japanese. On most of the college campuses across the nation, the physically able athletes had already signed up to fight for their country in the weeks immediately after Pearl Harbor. Florida had gone 4-6 in 1941 but expectations were high that 1942 would be different thanks to season-closing wins over Miami and Georgia Tech and a close loss to UCLA. Those hopes and dreams went out the window with the unilateral declaration of war against Germany and Japan.

The most able bodied of Coach Thomas Lieb’s football team were already in the military when the 1942 season arrived. Most of Florida’s team was made up of young guys waiting their eighteenth birthdays or who couldn’t pass the physical.

That wasn’t the case at Georgia, which had one of the two or three best ROTC programs in the country. Georgia was already loaded when the war broke out. By the time the 1942 season began, Coach Wally Butts had a roster full of stars who were enrolled in the ROTC program, including All-Americans like Flatfoot Frankie Sinkwich (he won the Heisman that year), George Poschner and Charlie Trippi, who would go on to become one of the greatest college football players in history.

When Georgia and Florida squared off in Jacksonville on November 7, the game was over by the first quarter and by halftime, it was total carnage. Butts could have called it off any time he wanted, but he kept pouring it on. Late in the fourth quarter Sinkwich and Trippi were still in the game pouring it on.

The final score was 75-0. Georgia went on to win a national championship. Florida went 3-7 with wins over Randolph-Macon, Auburn and Villanova.

For the rest of the story, click this link:

http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-football/why_i_despise_georgia1/
  2. ldgator

ldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +871
    Thanks Franz. It never gets old!
  3. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,410
    I just hope the players read this today. If they aren't fired up to beat Georgia, there is no hope.
  4. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    I hate the Dawgs because I grew up in Jacksonville in the late '50s and early '60s. The Dawgs always eat the Gators, usually by a large margin. I sat through the 51 - 0 rain game.

I always had to pass through the drunk re-faced Dawg fans yelling GO YOU HAIRY DAWGS.

Bad memories! Please go Gators!
  5. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    Well you did not here a lot of that bs in the 90's and 2000 s did ya.?
  6. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    We are gonna tear that ass up today. #special teams
  7. gauscfan

gauscfan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    You don't have to convince me to dislike UGA. I've been there for a long time!
  8. MR_FLORIDA

MR_FLORIDA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    uh oh. Love it
  9. DeanMeadGator

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Did not! Spurrier always hated the 'Dawgs and we ate their lunch.

It was good not to hear the little 'Dawgs barking!!
  10. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    It goes without saying. And with gusto!
  11. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +955
    If there is any siliver lining in losing to them, three years in a row. It is the younger generation will get to see why we hate UGA so much.

Been around a lot of fans, but they are the worst when they win, no where to be found when they lose.

My bad joke of the day.

What city does Will Muchamp never buy lottery tickets in.

Jacksonville, he never wins there.
  12. DeanMeadGator

Ratings Received:
    +233
    The 'Dawg fans are bad, but they are nice compared to Ohio State fans. Worst I have even seen.
  13. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +535
    Not that I needed another reason to despise uga, there's this mental image burned into my brain. Walling back to my car Saturday, we saw a fat uga chick in the back of a pickup doing the Gator chomp and wearing jean shorts.