Why Fitness Certification ?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 34 / -10
    Note: this doesn't pertain to anyone else who has a certification. Based on how I operate, I'm asking why it is necessary for ME.

I got certified for two reasons:

(1) Because I was assured that it would convey credibility, but in the nearly two years I've been charging people money, not one soul has asked if I'm certified, not one.

(2) Because I was told that it was the only way to qualify for liability insurance, which some have advised me that I do not need (owing to the way in which I work).

The main reason I'm asking because, well, I'm a certified fitness trainer who does not desire to operate as a fitness trainer. Indeed, I'd very much prefer to operate as an alternative to the fitness trainer, primarily because my approach does not center on exercise.

Also: my certification process was fairly rigorous, but I didn't learn anything in the process that took me from not being able to help people look better naked to being able to help people look better naked. Yes, I did brush up on my anatomy. Yes, I did learn how to better explain a number of metabolic processes that no one needs to understand in order to look better naked. But basically, I suspect that certification signals that you passed an exam. And I tell clients that, for what it's worth, I crushed it. :wink:

Thoughts appreciated ..
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    The simple answer is that its not. There are so many certifying agencies that range from total joke to excellent. But there is nothing standing in your way of providing fitness and nutrition advice without any type of certification. That may change at some point as I am sure the government will want to make it seem like they are doing something by requiring dieticians and nutritionists to have some government approved license to practice. Until then though the only authority you need is the one given to you by your clients.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 34 / -10
    True, certification means everything and nothing ... and that seems particularly true for nutritionists. A recent client of mine was a 'Certified Holistic Counselor' who expressed concerned that I was ingesting artificial sweeteners because they "Stay in your body and who knows what they do!"

Regarding fitness certifications in particular, I've known guys who have not only multiple certifications, but even multiple college degrees in the exercise field, and they're dispensing quack advice. The 'trainer to the stars', Chad Waterbury, comes to mind. He has all his clients on the 'Warrior Diet' ... whereas he was a staunch, six-meals-a-day proponent not long ago.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,688 / 108 / -27
    I've known too many others who got certified that know jack squat.

It's a relatively easy field to master, at least compared to programming/development, my day gig.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 34 / -10
    Yeah, I think I probably chose the right field in that regard. With electronics, in particular, I've got a stupid-governor on me. I'm just now getting a smartphone. Yipee!
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 25 / -4
    The wife is a nurse and she actualy knows what those chemicals do in your body.

Take physical therapy, and that degree is a career instead of an occupation.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Problem with physical therapy is 8 years of school for less compensation than you could get in other fields. Even a degree in kinesiology or sport sciences followed by a career as a trainer could be more lucrative.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 34 / -10
    I've never been the least bit tempted to become a physical therapist. I do do some of the work of the physical therapist, however, in merely showing people how to perform basic movements correctly. As they say, "Corrective exercises are exercises correctly performed."
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 34 / -10
    Note on physical therapists: typically, or so they tell me, their biggest frustration is one of client adherence. But at least partially to blame is there practice of prescribing unreasonable routines. How many busy people are really going to do two sets of fifteen reps of ten exercises twice a day ?

I suspect that, by and large, people need to learn how to fix themselves.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    The majority of pt patients are the elderly and post surgery rehab. Those with injuries or faulty movement patterns probably don't need pt nearly as much as their doctors think and so don't adhere to the program. I have been to physical therapy 3 times and only once did I go through until release and that was post surgery. The other times I was prescribed way too many sessions probably just milking my insurance.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 34 / -10
    Also, PT's are subject to the same rote thinking as are fitness trainers and nutritionists. Ex: they still typically prescribe terminal knee extensions for patellofemoral pain syndrome. And they still have people rolling their IT Bands.