Why don't we like snow?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by deathroll, Dec 28, 2013.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    I recognize that scene very well. Used to live in Cortland NY for 9 years. My good friend and cousin went to UB and I'd visit quite often in the winter.
  2. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,695
    love the snow draped norway spruce on the left hand side of pic. i think they're beautiful.
  3. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    We lived in northern states like Illinois and Connecticut for 30 years. Raised my kids dealing with the same problem with snow suits that icequeen mentioned earlier. And muddy, slushy boots. :mad: We had mudrooms and /or basement entrances in all the houses we lived in, but if I didn't catch the kids in time I still had to deal with mud tracked into the rest of the house . :mad:

The kids grew up still loving the stuff. They all skiied as kids and are still skiing as adults. Oldest son has 2 youngsters (8 and 10) who ski competitively in Colorado. My 10 year old granddaughter beat all the boys in her local age group for 2 years running when she was 6 and 7. She placed 4th in the state for girl's her age last year. :D She's a real trooper having broken a leg one year and dislocated an elbow the next. :(
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +421
    Yea you said it... snow sucks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,695
    looking forward to taking a walk in it, later in the week when the abnormally chilly air subsides...for some pics, and the dogs love walking in the snow. the hound likes to get on his back and roll around in it, lol, trying to make i guess a 'dog snow angel', he's a nut. i'd like to take my grandson outside to build a good snowman. and our backyard has a gentle downhill slope, i wanna get him on one of those round plastic disc 'sleds', his daddy sure loved that!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Snowsuits you say? Northerners of a certain age identify with A Christmas Story precisely b/c of them :)

[​IMG]

Me, my sister, cousins (two smallest) and neighbor (circa 1977/78). I'm the redhead in front with my hand on hip.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,592
    Been down south, I mean Down South, since Wednesday night. Two days in Atlanta and now in Birmingham for niece's wedding. It's a balmy 27 degrees here. I can't believe no one is out playing golf. I'm a bit concerned about what's waiting for us when we get back tomorrow night. I took my car out of the garage so we would have room to pack my wife's SUV for the trip and didn't put it back in. It's been snowing constantly since we left, so there's probably two feet of snow on it. You can't get that much off with a brush. The low tomorrow night is projected at -17 with wind chills in the -35 to -45 range. It hasn't dipped below minus single digits in 20 years.

I'll check back about how much I do or do not love snow Monday morning.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    OK, guess I'll gain a little firsthand perspective on this "what's so bad about snow" question. I fly into Chicago tomorrow. Weather calls for snow today with a chance of snow tomorrow; high of -12 with 25 mph winds producing a wind chill of -50. Today's high here in St. Pete will be 78. I'm going fishing.
  9. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    Missed out on my 90 degree temperature change. Southwest let me fly Tampa to Nashville but as soon as we deplaned, we found all flights into Chicago had been cancelled. No flights available into Chicago until tomorrow at 6 PM! Missed my meetings so I flew home (back to Tampa).
  10. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    In Omaha last night actual temp was -11. In Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area in eastern Iowa it was -21. Then add the wind and you get even more awful.

Heat wave here in Omaha tonight--it will be -5 for a low. In eastern Iowa it will get to -15. Wind chills continue to make it awful. Supposed to be zero tomorrow night!!!! LOL
  11. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +342

How did the battery handle the outdoors?
  12. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,695
    1 degree here currently. windy. -13 with the wind chill. have my heat set at a balmy 67. aside from quick-walking my dogs, haven't gone outside tonight, lol

just for fun, here's a flashback to march 1993, blizzard, eastern ky. my poor black toyota supra is buried, just to the right of my hubby's work van. i didn't see my car for a few days. but it wasn't too bad cuz it was march.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  13. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,695
    this one's my hubby and bro in law building a snow castle in february '94. we had an excellent slope in the backyard, and the kids were sleddin' their asses off.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    Just made the long trek home from Atlanta. Stopped to see a friend in NC and thought we'd go check out Cleveland on the way home. Ended up having to drive through the conditions on Monday (freezing temps and icy roads). Only made it to South Bend before having to call it quits. Better yesterday, but South Bend stop made the trip much longer. Snow is beautiful, but precipitation followed by freezing temps is a miserable combination when trying to drive. Probably fly next year, but then you face the delays/cancellations. Hard thing to beat.
  15. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    After being in Florida for 20 straight winters, my family and I had to brilliant idea to go to Gatlinberg,, Tn for a vacation. We left Christmas night, and drove the 15 hrs up to a nice cabin on top of a big mountain overlooking Sevierville, some may know right where I'm talking about, about five minutes from Dollywood. We stayed til the third of January, and had a great time with my girls and wife. Well the night before we were to head home it snowed about three inches. Well I didn't think of it as a big deal, plus my wife and daughters had never seen snow so that was a plus for them. We load our expedition and start to head out the next morning, salt has been spread on the road, a little snow still on the road, but the car is having no problems climbing the driveway out on to the roadway. I get to the top of the hill and am looking at about a 40 degree grade down the hill, when the ride get exciting. I feel my tires lose grip and I begin to slide down the mountain on black ice. Wife and children begin to panic,(dad did to) I was able to get the car to slide to the curb where I was able to put it basically in the ditch. I looked down at the bottom of the hill and four other brave souls have tried and failed, cars piled up at the bottom against the guard rail. I get out of the expedition to see if we are stopped and bust my butt on the highway, wife got a good laugh. And am greeted by three other fellow Floridian's who just happened to be Gators. The Lord looks after the dumb and slow. Anyway these guys treated me like I was their lone lost brother, all of us stand in the middle of the road trying to figure out how we could get our Gator butts back to the sand and sun of good ol F L O R I D A. We were able to back up the road and turn around, went back to the cabin and stayed until about noon for the sun to melt the rest of the ice and snow. I was so happy to see the Florida state line I almost cried. Thanks to all the fellow gators and their help. I don't like snow, think I'll say home next yr. :);)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    Heh. Amateurs. :p J/K. It's amazing what changes with a little snow. Add a steep hill and driving becomes a whole new adventure. Our entire town is built on a steep hill. I haven't had the problem yet of sliding down, but have faced the challenge of not being able to get up the hill. Up here, though, we are more prepared to face such challenges (shovels, ice scrapers, sand, cat litter, snow blower, layers, wool socks, Sorel boots, snow shoes, de-icer liquid, de-icer pellets, fuel line cleaner, and on and on). Having lived in FL for nearly 30 years, this is all new to me. o_O
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    This. The key is to get enough momentum to make it up said hill but not too much that you go skidding off the hill/bridge. Kitty litter/saw dust works well for getting out of ice/mud, but I've also found a little trick with snow. If you're in a massive amount of ice but there's snow pushed off to the side, take some of the snow and pour it ON the ice. Believe it or not, the snow will give you a bit more traction over said ice. Have done it several times. Same with sidewalks. I never shovel to pavement because it brings on more ice.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. gatorknights

gatorknights Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +867

I grew up in Minnesota. I now live in Florida. Y'all can imagine why I don't like snow :)
  19. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    So far this winter:

[​IMG]

Out the daylight basement door:
    [​IMG]

The compact car. Buried:

[​IMG]
  20. LabraGator

LabraGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    I grew up about 1 degree north and 1 degree west of your location so totally understand what you saying. Not always a lot of snow up in those parts, but always a lot of cold. For serious snow need to take a boat over the the Keweena Peninsula. They average over 200" a year with over 300" fairly common.

But for cold, it's hard to beat northern MN. Always that light color on the temp map pushing down from Canada in that area (often just west of you off the iron range). Looking back, it's hard to believe I ran two trap lines over the winters that I checked daily. Before school one direction, after school in the other. It's also a bitch of a place to work outside in the winter. Spent a couple years as a framer. It hit -59 (pre-windchill) my last winter up there... happened to be sheathing a roof that day. Also, be thankful you're not on the western part of the state. You get the cold and the winds blowing across the great plains.

On the bright side, the mosquito and biting flies will drive you out in the summers. But be sure you spend some time in the BWCA and North Shore before you leave.
    • Like Like x 1