Why don't we like snow?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by deathroll, Dec 28, 2013.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Love it and hate it. But you are exactly right. Commuting in snow suuuuuccccks! Falling on ice just as bad. Been there done both :D

...not to mention, northern cars rust out quicker in places that snow a lot
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,020
    I have seen appreciable snow once in my life-in Jan of 2000 I worked for a company headquartered just outside of Boston-I had to go to a training class-they flew me into Providence and when I got off the plane it was about 9PM and there were flurries of snow-they took me to a Courtyard by Marriott near Foxboro and I went to bed-Around 5am I awakened and looked out my slider-but could not see much as the snow was banked against it to about 5 feet high- needless to say it took until late tuesday for them to get the road to the Hotel cleared- the first day the snow around the hotel was beautiful-Wed am when they picked me up the snow that was banked all along the road looked like baby chit- it was damned fugly-and it was damned cold-when I went back to the rescheduled class it was in May- got to go to Fenway to see a game- Liked Boston alot better in the spring
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    I've lived in Central Virginia for over 25 years. I enjoy snow and it comes only occasionally here. Go west or north by about 50 miles and it snows much more. I enjoy it, especially when you have young kids. Some of my fondest memories are that we had a house with a large deck and a hot tub on it. During a good snow, my daughter and I would get into the tub and watch the snow come down and once we were ready, we got out and had a snowball fight. Then once you get cold again you just get back into the tub and get ready for another round.

But the caveat is my ideal pattern is a snow of around 4-5 inches. You get two days off work/school to enjoy sledding and stuff. Then afterwards it has melted enough for things to get back to normal. If you get too much snow it is piled up along the roads and in the parking lots. And then it gets really dirty and nasty looking. That isn't fun.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  4. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,959
    Must be nice - only way we get a closure is if the windchill goes around -25 degrees....or a massive (I mean feet overnight) snowstorm that they can't clear in time.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,091
    all in good fun!!! have lived in both obviously, both have their good points and bad. depends on what you like i guess.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. mamag8ter

mamag8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,958
    Just beautiful Vert. I just couldn't live there, I have a sensitivity to cold.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mamag8ter

mamag8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,958
    You poor baby!! OK, that does it!!! I am staying in Florida!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,091
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Like snow? I really do but hate the cold (anything below 35) especially the heater on inside. And 5 months of cold really got me in the latter times. I used to live in Indiana (both northern and southern)... a native Hoosier. Whenever it snows heavily, it's really beautiful... one has to be out there unlike you could see it from the pictures. About twice I have been in a ice storm which it had ice everywhere including the twigs and branches on the trees - awesome sighting.

However, I hate the slick roads (worse than 'normal ones', I meant) because of some other drivers were rather careless and could hit you... I was very good with snow and slick snow but not with ice, ofc so I always watched out on others. I once hit a tree by the ice out in the hilly country. I had a long driveway which I often had to get rid of snow. And it didn't bode well with my body - almost always sneeze (sometimes coughing)... my body relies on humidity and warmth. So I moved here to Florida 11 years ago and love it here... no more pain-in-the-neck stuff I had to deal with the wintry stuff like I said. I don't mind going north on snowy scenes on a vacation trip but not living there. lol
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mamag8ter

mamag8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,958
    Very nice Vert. Reminds me of the Christmas cards we used to get when I was a kid. I used to look at them over and over.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,020

I sang that song recently to one of my Granddaughters- love Dean's version
    • Like Like x 2
  12. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    No, with all due respect!, you really don't. Kentucky has a little snow and a nice short winter, where the problems involved are novelties. (I know, I lived there for 5 years.) If you lived, say, in New Hampshire (where I also lived) you would know that by the third month of hard winter (snowed in November and the ground was covered until late March) your attitude would be very different. It is gorgeous there, but too cold for way too long.

Sooo, count your blessings (I know you do) for the almost perfect 4 seasons you receive! That is one of the best parts about living in Ky. I am from Florida and have been back home for 30 years but I remember folks telling me that there are only 2 seasons in New Hampshire...winter and July.
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    In 2012, my wife and I moved from Gainesville to a location FURTHER north than New Hampshire. Needless to say, it's been an adjustment. She's ready to go already, but our jobs are too good to leave right now. It's crazy to imagine that we moved from Fla to a location further north than Cleveland, Buffalo, Syracuse, Chicago, and yes . . . New Hampshire.

So this brings me to my question: who can say that they live further north or in a colder place than northern MN? For a little perspective, NYC gets about 26" of snow per year. We got 56" . . . last April! Yes, it was a record and quite a welcome for the Floridians. :eek: Even the natives were complaining.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Ha! Looks like we'd be neighbors verti :D

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  15. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Depends on where in NY. Live up in the Catskills or Adirondacks and it gets just as cold. NYC not so much. But yeah, 56 is a lot of snow and MN is just damn cold :)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +566
    It got down to 74 in the house last night so the wife turned on the heater.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Lived in MD and VA for 8 years. The snow there was a novelty and fun b/c it didn't last. Plus, since the road crews are woefully ill-prepared, pretty much everything shuts down so you were "forced" to just play until the roads are cleared in 2 days. What I truly detested were the week long drizzle/fog in Oct - Dec. It didn't rain really, but you had to use windshield wipers. You had to wear winter gear, but it wasn't so cold that you wouldn't end up sweating. In the end, the lack of sunshine for a week or more was simply too depressing to this FL boy. I'll take freezing weather (even in the 10's) on a bright day over drizzly and 55 degrees every time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    Currently -14 in my home town. High of -9 today. Glad I'm in Georgia for the holidays. o_O
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,687
    There's a snow belt in upstate NY that gets a chit-ton of snow from moisture picked up off the great lakes. Syracuse area can get around 100" of snow a year, and areas north of Syracuse get a lot more than that.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    Love snow. Grew up without it, so it's always been kind of mystical to me.

Spent two winters quarters during my UF years working in Vail, CO, tending bar at night and skiing all day. I was never happier in my life.

Have shoveled tons of it. I even like that. The town where I live is gorgeous all year 'round, but is even prettier with snow. Every year when there's a big snow storm, I take my daughter's Canon out for a walk and take photos of Frank Lloyd Wright homes covered in snow. His home and studio are just two blocks from my home. There are close to 30 of his commissions within two or three miles of us. I've shot all but six or seven of them for my "White on Wright" gallery on Facebook.

We're getting our first big storm today. We've had a few two to four inch nights, but nothing big. This one is hitting in about three hours and is supposed to continue through the night. We're heading south for Atlanta very early tomorrow morning. I'm bracing myself for a difficult drive. Would rather stay home and shovel.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1