Why does the Left hate homeschooling

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    Here in Colorado, with the growth of online schools and charters, I've seen less home schooling going on. The good news is that the worst of the union dominated traditional public schools are emptying out as parents vote with their feet, or are actually putting reforms in place to try to stay open.

For those of you who follow educational issues, Douglas County, CO has one of the most aggressive, reform minded school boards in the country. What they have been up to the last couple of years should be a model for many other locales.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    Home schooling is thriving in Grand Junction. My son and daughter-in-law home school their three 10, 8 and 6 year old children. The are part of a larger association of like minded home schooling families and bring their children together twice a week for group lessons in Spanish. The families share the cost of hiring this teacher for all the children. My son also employes her to come to their home once a week for further one-on-one conversational instruction.

They also have group science classes once a week. Parents trade off teaching these classes. All of the parents participating are well educated professionals and use the same curriculum. It is not a Bob Jones / fundamentalist / religious based type of curriculum.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Why do you say that?

Glad Lincoln isn't here to see what our nation has become.
  4. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    But, pouring tons of money into education hasn't fixed a thing...
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    What was Lincoln's position on asylum for home schoolers from nations that we consider democratic and free?
  6. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    As a 1977 high school graduate I can assure you I did my part.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    me too. zombies are scary.
    Seriously though out of all my friends, the ones who home school are the furthest left leaning. public schools are part of the "system" and any decent private school has a religious agenda.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +970
    This is the way it should be done, Lacuna. I dated a girl awhile back who had been schooled through a similar system that was described to me as, "Classical Christian." Clearly there was a religious factor, but she said there was a huge section of her highschool discussion-groups revolved around philosophy including an in-depth discussion of Plato's The Republic, which I thought was just really awesome.
  9. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    That's interesting... It's almost always the opposite. At lease that's what everyone here intimates.
  10. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Lol...
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    I think the people that are the farthest out there or idiosyncratic belief wise are the most likely to home school.
  12. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    using my friends as the measuring stick growing up homeschool=hippies or hare krishnas. now those friends are adults and doing the same with their kids
  13. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Well if you think that's what I was thinking then you'd be wrong. And doubt many here think that the home schooled kids grow up to be the smartest people with special/different beliefs nor do they have the smartest parents..
  14. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    I was saying what I think. I don't know, I've met home schoolers that were bright and extremely smart, and I've seen some that just have weird views, extremely individualistic views, or are highly religious. But they all tended to have an extremely cohesive ideology or religious view point, or were so individualistic that they were impossible to classify. I'd say most people don't fit those criteria, but many homeschoolers do.
  15. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    the school system was different, now political correctness rules, smart kids are held back out of fear of making others feel bad, less smart kids are spoon fed into classrooms where the entire curriculum is dumbed down to allow them to keep up, teachers to often now don't teach but instruct how to pass standardized tests, teachers to often now must accept bad behavior due to gubmint mandates, imo there is no validity to the argument "when most were still utilizing it". most still do, i would argue that it (being more bureaucratic, and politically correct) has let us down, at least current students, and probably those of us that are going to depend on this generation of "student" to run our country in the not so distant future.
  16. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    the goal of education has become passing a test, not understanding or reasoning; it is about uniformity not individual excellence (at whatever level that may be for each student), it has become a defacto no student left behind which ironically leads to all children being left behind. people claim there are some nuts in the home school crowd, acting at the same time like there aren't any nuts in the public school system. teachers have a job, follow the rules, meet criteria now, manage classroom dynamics, is that because they want to or are they handcuffed? i hope it is because they are handcuffed. parents that homeschool, imo have a genuine desire for the child's welfare, i can't honestly say the schools do nowadays. the other thing is all the homeschool parents are still paying taxes, so the funding hasn't changed, if anything the ratio of teachers to student should go up, and therefore improve outcomes, but it hasn't
  17. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    My son and daughter-in-law made the decision to home school for several reasons. They were dissatisfied with the math program in their local public school. Home schooling allows them to select and control the curriculum, tailoring it to the children's needs and specific talents. They believed the public school did not adequately teach critical thinking skills. They prefer to directly supervise who their children associate and play with on a daily basis. Most of the parents involved with their homeschooling group attend the same church and have similar values and goals.

They are financially in a position to travel at will when my son's schedule permits. Home schooling permits this where the public school authorities would frown upon frequent absences and penalize the children. This past Fall the family spent a week in New York, 5 days in Washington, D.C. and spent 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas with us in Florida. This would not have been possible if they were in P.S.
  18. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +869
    The Left hates homeschooling?
  19. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,920
    Why do you hate the USA?
  20. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +423
    The reason is easy actually:

1. Homeschooling shows far better results than any public school. In rare cases some parents suck at it but mostly because of the way it's set up, the majority of parents that homeschool are very good. The reason is also simple - they are teaching the most important student of all, their child(ren). Public schools hate it when a homeschooled child competes against their best.
    2. It's very cost-effective. I think an analogy was made that comparing homeschooling to public school is like comparing a Honda civic to a 7 series BMW.