Why do we want to shorten games?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Oct 15, 2013.

1. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    I think you need to go back and re-examine your know of the game. You are thinking about running the shot clock in basketball.

In football the more talented teams typically dominate time of possession. The tempo teams are typically less talented from top to bottom for a number of reasons, but mainly bc they do not have top guys on defense.

The Gators want to run plays...lots of plays. Thy are shortening the game for the other teams offense. Not their own.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  2. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Didn't Arnsparger hire Spurrier?
  3. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498

fwiw, Foley did not hire THBC. As AD he's hired three football HC's, Zook - Myer - Muschamp.
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    We do both though. We have one of the highest time per play in the country.
  5. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
    Not exactly. Muschamp let the play clock run down on our opening drive against Kentucky before calling a time out. That kind of clock management limits the number of plays for both teams.
  6. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Uhhh no. Foley did not hire Spurrier. He INHERITED him from Arnsparger...who was FORCED to hire him (he didn't want to) by the Bull Gators.

He also didn't make the choice to hire Meyer. Meyer was Machen's guy.....Machen was the president of Utah when Meyer was hired there......

He did hire Donovan but the 2 football coaches Foley has hired which were his decision were and Zook and Musschamp.
  7. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    What injury is Harrison battling?

You realize that in this staff's first two years they signed a total of 4 OL right? That more than anything is what's biting us in the butt right now.

I agree with you Taylor has the most talent of all of our Tailbacks.....but damn how come he isn't ready? We had him all spring. Other schools are able to get their freshman Tailbacks ready to go. Just look at the Collins kid for Arky.

Debose had something like 4 catches total last year. I thought he had a chance to have the light bulb really come on this year so I was particularly disappointed when he blew out his knee but still....its not like we are "missing" a lot of production from him that we had previously been getting. Honestly, I think our WR corps is OK this year. Not great, but OK. Its not a huge liability at least.
  8. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    We didn't care about TOP when we were running the Fun n' Gun. Oregon doesn't care about it now nor does Baylor. More talented teams definitely do not always dominate time of possession.
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,343
    You've watched our offense and want to see MORE plays from it? :whoa:
    Shoot, we tackle our own guys. We have no pass-catching TE. Our starting QB, RB, WR, RT, and a few dozen others are injured. But we want to see more offensive plays. Our most reliable receiver is a converted QB to HB to WR. Our current best offensive players are a 2* recruit, a 170 lb receiver, and a true freshman. Yeah, let's get more plays for the offense.
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    Isn't this exactly what we have done in the past, and Muschamp got blasted for it?

Let me get this straight.. LSU takes the lead by 11, then sits on the ball to try and control the clock and let their D shut us down. I guess Les Miles doesn't read Gator Country. Tell Les not to copy Boom, or else he will get skewered by the posse.
  11. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yes. When you average four yards per play you need to have as many of them as you can get.
  12. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    WTH, like it's Ryder Cup format with alternating hires. Give me a break.
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +967
    Why not? Oregon wears teams down faster than ours. By the 3rd quarter, the other team is gassed. A bonus is the point spread is pretty good and you can sub your 2nd and 3rd stringers. The problem with our philosophy is we don't wear down the opposing defense.
  14. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Back to the ops question, I mentioned it a few weeks ago. Princeton basketball ran the clock down for every shot clock to beat better teams 40-35. They mastered shortening the game to beat better teams. The more drives in a game, the more chances a better team's athletes will score and pull away. Shortening the game as a team with better talent makes no sense at all. That's what bothers me about the staff; why do I know this but they do not?
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    Which players on our offense start for LSU?
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    A lot of people get it. Not everyone here said we would go 11-1 with 12 lost starters. I said 8-4, and also said if we get key injuries, it could be WORSE.

It is what it is...
  17. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Good teams that win can dominate time of possession frequently but they don't do it on purpose.
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Yes...kicking and screaming. Ben Hill Griffin gave Bill an offer he couldn't refuse...
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    Good teams don't purposely keep a strong opponent offense off the field, while they rest their defense?

Really?

Aside from that, I keep seeing posters in this thread yammering bout how we have better talent so we should want as many possessions as possible. Yet nobody answers my question... which of our guys on offense would start for LSU? Or Mizzou? Or Miami? Or USCe? Or UGA? Etc.
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Yes they do. But they also move the ball methodically downfield. A seven minute drive is great if you score a touchdown at the end...

I'm old enough to remember the Lombardi Packers and the Shula Dolphins (pre-Marino). Hall of Famer Paul Warfield caught only 29 passes in Miami's perfect season in 1972, but it seemed as though every one of those catches were 25 yards downfield.