Why do we want to shorten games?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Oct 15, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,523
    I'm sure it's higher since I think we have one of the highest of all time this year.

Still, our opportunities have been nearly identical to 2008. We just were much better at getting points out of them back then.
  2. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    No it doesn't. If the talent were so bad, we simply would not have been able to win that many games last year. If the coaching were that good, we'd look better than we have this year.
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I don't have a problem with it, but with the great WRs in this state I feel it would be a waste to overemphasize slowing down the game. Scoring ultimately is a lot better than TOP.
  4. TrillGator

TrillGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    We had elite talent on defense. We were not very talented at receiver or quarterback last year, so it was an incredible displayed coaching and admittedly a bit of luck we had the season we had. This year the circumstances are different. We are riddened with injuries and lack talent
  5. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    This also sounds nice, but isn't true.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,828
    We have talent but injuries are a big killer this year as you correctly point out. Including special teams we returned 11 starters this year.

Of them, Easley, Driskel, and Green are out for the season. Halapio is playing injured and shouldn't be playing. Christy has been benched.

That puts us down to 7 returning starters including Halapio playing with a torn pec.

In addition, the new starting RB Jones is out for the season. New potential starting WR and lead KR Debose is out for the season.

Two likely TE starters are starting at other schools due to transfers and a top recruit dual threat TE has been battling injuries for the second year in a row... so a DE who can't catch the ball is starting, backed up by another DE.

New starter at LT is playing a year too early and 30 lbs under where you'd like to see him. New starter at RT is playing out of position and dinged up. These because of lack of depth on OL.

Every team faces injuries but for a team with so few returning starts, this is brutal.

Our expectations need to be realistic.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,523
    You're right, it was 8 minutes. Points stands.
  8. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    That's sort of misleading. We never had the ball within a score the entire second half. I don't think LSU ever felt threatened. I know I wouldn't have felt threatened as an LSU fan. I'm pretty sure they didn't want to have 3 and outs all 3rd quarter, but they were fine milking the clock when they could.
  9. TrillGator

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Thank you!! Somebody else gets it! We were really dealt a bad hand this year.
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +299
    Sure if you like, any you can question all you like.

Does it make you feel better about the Gators to rehash every play?

Do you do it with a big win or only with a loss?

I hardly said "trust the coaches" mantra, and if it makes you feel good to dissect every flaw you see with UF football go for it.

Foley will undoubtedly PM many of the "self anointed experts" here and offer up employment!
  11. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +299
    Watch out you'll soon be chastised for being sarcastic!
  12. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I just don't buy this. We could hardly have won so much before if we had no weapons to work with. If.....*IF* our coaching were that good then that does not explain why it dropped off this year.

Everybody understands our numbers are BETTER this year than last right? We added 3 new veteran OL.
  13. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    We rehash every play, discuss every strategy, and pick over all the little minute details. Its what we do. We're fanatics.

Given Foley's history of football coaching hires, perhaps he should consult with others next time.
  14. TrillGator

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Jesus man, what don't you understand about we are plagued with injuries. Last year would probably look something this year if we were as riddened with Injuries.
  15. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Murphy has been an upgrade from Driskel.

Yes we lost Debose at WR but as a whole our WR corps is better than it was last year - I don't think anybody would dispute this.

Losing Green at OT hurts but then again we added Garcia and Moore and Brown while Harrison, Halapio, Silberman, Humphries, Thurman and Koehne are all a year older and more experienced. I don't see why losing explains why our OL is significantly worse this year (and our pass blocking stunk last year) but it certainly is.

Matt Jones we did not lose until last week. I'd say Mack Brown this year is ahead of where Jones was last year. The big loss here is Mike Gillislee. We don't have another back nearly as good unless Taylor really comes on. In conclusion, we are worse at this position NOT because Matt Jones got injured last week but because we don't have another back nearly as good as Gillislee......which we finally saw once the coaches were FORCED, kicking and screaming, to finally start since the 180 pound scat backs were no longer available to ram right up the gut every other play..

Easley. Yeah that one hurt and hurt bad, no disguising it....but the Defense is still good. The real problems are on Offense. and on Offense the only injury that seems to have really hurt a lot is Green at OT.
  16. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I want to shorten games because of the game threads ...
  17. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +299
    Foley hx of HBC Spurrier & Meyer. 3NC's. throw in Donovan's 2 BB NC's .....I'll take it
  18. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +299
    Perhaps we had better players last year as coaching is pretty much the same. We did loose a few starters to injury this year and a few to the NFL.....
  19. TrillGator

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Easley turned out to be a huge loss. But yes our D is still one of the best.

And you are wrong about the offense.

Hell, we didnt even have a spring game our line was so beat up, and it's carried over.
    Halapio is playing with one arm. Harrison has been battling his injury. Tyler Moore was forced to play tackle, and he has been awful at pass protection, just awful. Humphries is undersized and it's hurting him more than anyone expected, but we simply don't have the talent to replace him. koehne is another example of a guy who just lacks talent in pass protection. It's simple man. The Oline is a mess because our veterans are battling injuries forcing less talented guys to pick up the slack at unnatural positions. However, they aren't completely inept at run blocking, just laughable pass protection.

Matt Jones was deathly Ill coming out of fall camp and he never really returned to 100%.
    I agree with you to an extent on KT I really wish we would have gotten him more carries early on, but he was having trouble with protection schemes, and that's not something we can allow given the mess we have on the line.
    I'm not a big fan of Mack brown. He has made some plays here and there but I think it's obvious KT is the better runner. And Jones looked spectacular near the close of last season, he really turned on, but again we were plagued with an injury.

Our receiving corps made improvements but it's still evident we lack talent at the position.
  20. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +299
    I don't disagree except Matt Jones has not been healthy all year....he started to get it going vs UK but has not been as strong that is to be expected with the illness that kept him out of summer ball.

Murphy has done great although it may affect some timing with WR and cadence on snap IDK.

Seems like the LSU game was really the worst wrt the o-line. UF moved the ball well against UM but just like last yr in the UGA game turnovers killed us, stopped easy points and gave them easy score. Something like only 5% of teams with 5 TO's win. I can't put TO's in the UM game on the line bad throws, missed receivers, RB fumbles in red zone. Just happens and sometimes it steam rolls.
    • Like Like x 1