Why do we want to shorten games?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Oct 15, 2013.

1. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    That's what LESS talented teams want. Fewer snaps = fewer chances for the other team's superior athletes to make plays and depth plays less of a factor since the players are not as tired because there aren't as many snaps.

ummm.....we are FLORIDA. Hellooo????? We should have MORE talent in MORE numbers than all but a handful of teams which can at best match us evenly. Shouldn't we want MORE snaps per game rather than fewer???

I have wondered about this whole philosophy from the start.
  2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    Completely agree. We don't have to go up tempo like Oregon, but I want to see us pick up the pace.
  3. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    takes allot of practice with a cohesive group of players....
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,825
    How many of our starters on offense would start at LSU?
  5. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    because our offensive philosophy is backwards
  6. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    If Chip Kelly or Chad Morris had (with full authority) begun coordinating our offense 2 years ago, is there any doubt we would have significantly more production at this point?

Of course I'd argue that Brent Pease would have more production at this point if that parenthetical element were true.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +944
    Bear Bryant has six MNCs based exactly on this philosophy. Woodie Hayes has another five. Beamer takes 30th ranked talent and routinely has 10+ win seasons. Steve Spurrier's best seasons at USCe is based on this philosophy. Saban and Miles won big with this strategy.

It is a proven strategy. You know this...
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,825
    It doesn't matter who your coordinator is if the opposing defense plays in your backfield.

We need to fix the OL. Don't know if we have the bodies to fix it this year.

If we had a healthy Green at RT, and healthy Halapio or Moore at RG, I suspect we'd look much different on offense at this point.
  9. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Obviously the o-line was a huge issue last Saturday, but they haven't been a huge issue all year. I thought they played well against Miami.

I think everyone is overreacting about the o-line being a bunch of turnstiles.
  10. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I really don't get it. We go 14 plays for 60 yards in 7:30 against LSU to kick a field goal. Yay! We're winning 3-0. At that pace we'd get about 5 drives in the whole game and score about 15 points. But we might score TDs on those drives, but TDs take longer, of course as they require more yardage at 4 yards per clip. So maybe only 4 drives?? So an absolute MAX of 28 points??

We are averaging about 21 ppg, we've got to pick up the pace a little.
  11. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    But even if healthy, I bet we'd still be pursuing the same damn offensive mindset.
  12. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    Have you seen our offense?
  13. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I agree. The OL played pretty well especially in the beginning of the game. TM had some time and there were good running lanes. They were killing Miami in the beginning of the game then deteriorated later on. But IMO they just get worn down as long as we keep them on the field.

Plus our playcalling does nothing to help the OL. We just let the defense stack the box and we run right into it. Thats got to be physically tough on the OL and mentally very frustrating. No matter how bad your protection is, can't you take a 2 step drop and throw a fade to a big WR in the end zone like every football team in America does? There are certain plays like this that are just completely missing from our playbook and they do not tax the OL like we love to do.
  14. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +273
    I agree with the concept of controlling the clock but if you run to the defense, they don't have to work and expend as much energy as they do chasing a play. Quick hits, screen passes, etc., will tire out a defense and still give you TOP.
  15. TrillGator

TrillGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    So you are so skeptical of our offense, but everybody is overreacting about the reason our offense is so bad? It's not overreacting, irrationally making statements of how just terribly awful our coach is, that is overreacting. Our line is completely tattered right now. This is why our offense is operating the way it is.
  16. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    he'd never admit it...but I'll bet Muschamp is still happy his streak holding SEC opponents to under 20pts is still intact

Hope he realizes it's not just his defense, but his anemic "plodding towards nothing" offense is equally responsible
  17. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +273
    After watching the Dallas-Washington Sunday night game, I wonder how much of what we do has been impacted by lack of a pass catching TE. Jason Whitten showed max protection then released late, neutralizing the Redskin blitz.
  18. HungryGator

HungryGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I've thought about this before. If the goal of the offense being on the field is to wear the defense down (although that didn't seem to work too well against Miami or LSU), couldn't it wear offensive players, especially linemen, down too? I think DL substitute more than OL too. Maybe with more of an emphasis on passing in practices and in games we could be a better pass blocking team, which would help our running game because teams couldn't just stack the box to stop the run.
  19. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Our Offense has looked like this for 3 years. I'm not buying the claim that its all down to injuries on the OL this year.
  20. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    Muschamp & Pease know our offense is limited, so they're trying to keep things close to give us a shot. Muschamp has repeatedly said he doesn't care of the score is 51-50 UF, he just wants to win.