1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Why are so many players leaving the team?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by WillyG8r13, Jan 1, 2014.

1. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,467
    Yeah you really want to get depressed put their height and weight and stars next to all those olineman. That's the type of oline class we needed this year as well as landing several explosive skill position players.
  2. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    It's one thing to be a bad coach and lose a lot of games during your tenure, but its entirely another to bungle the recruiting so bad that your roster is in poor shape, recruits are mocking your program and fleeing to your rivals, and youre losing precious ground in the recruiting battles in key areas of your state. All of that not only exacerbates your failure, but also starts affecting the next coach's tenure as well. And THAT cannot be allowed to happen.

At least Zook just kept his failure to the scoreboard and the SEC east standings. He was pretty darn good at recruiting and developing his players, which obviously really helped out his successor. And that's the ironic part about how Foley has handled the 2 situations. The situation is much more urgent now that it was with Zook.

The probelm with Zook was like having a broken A/C unit in your house. You can live with it. It's going to be uncomfortable but no damage is being done to anything else in your home. Just get that replaced and you're good to go. With Muschamp its like we've sprung a big leak and the longer we leave it unattended the more damage the flooding is going to do to our house, and the bigger the mess for the next guy to clean up.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    no worries about recruiting, man down man up
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    Don't worry. Be happy. Never fear, Agent Muschamp is here and handling things.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    WM has done to uf what uga alone could not do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +694
    I'm no Muschamp lover but I'm not ready to panic either reference next year. IMO this years recruiting class effects 2015 more heavily than 2014. I think there is a lot of undiscovered talent on the team and I am optimistic that Roper can find it. I think Fulwood comes along and Rob may finally have his year. We got the QB recruit we wanted but I think that position is still a question mark. Taylor returns as does Jones and Brown. Even losing Lane isn't a disaster for 2014. Depth across the O-line and LB are my chief concerns. I think our #1s will be competitive with most but depth as the season progresses may be an issue. 2015 however will require an excellent recruiting class full of guys ready to contribute. I also do not agree with the line of logic that states "Muschamp = great defense", GSU agrees with me on this. We will be replacing a significant amount of starters on defense in 2015 (approximately 8-9). My sincere hope is that our issues are not compounded in the coming season or we could end up in a rebuilding decade...
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Totally. If we come out scoring 48 points against SEC opponents like Duke did last night I'm sure the offensive recruits will be lining up to play here once again.

But even from day 1 (i.e. before he was "exposed" for overseeing terrible offenses) WM has had trouble reeling in the really big fish when it comes to offensive recruits, including a number of high profile in-state guys that we desperately needed. I think there's something flawed with his recruiting strategy/salesmanship abilities.

So hopefully Roper's offense sells itself.

Usually you can sell early playing time after a down year but when you've also been exposed as a coach who is reluctant to get freshmen on the field well then this is what you get. You have nothing left to sell to a kid.

"Hey our offense stinks and you'll never see the field. Just sign here"
  8. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    Lmao at Muschamp= great defense. Sure it does. When you have a real defense coach (Quinn) & 7 Meyer NFL guys playing. When they all leave you get 400+ rushing and a loss to a 1-aa team, to go along with 4-8.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Wow. A three-page thread and there 27 posts by ignored users. Like a zombie movie. They smell blood.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,467
    5 and 7 would hAve been amazing!
  11. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    Lol. Wishful thinking. Fat fingers and small #'s on my phone.
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,069
    We were still top 10 in the country with a group of guys who werent healthy trying to support a 3 and out machine in our offense. Muschamp knows defense and its not simply because Meyer and Quinn. There are PLENTY of criticisms of Muschamp, how about we stick to the valid ones..
  13. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,196
    But we were NOT a 3 and out machine. We led the country in TOP most of the year. That means the slow, plodding offense WAS keeping the defense off the field.
  14. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    2000%
  15. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +694
    I'm not disagreeing that to date our defenses have been very good. I don't think you can take having a great defense for granted just because we have CWM. I think our defensive statistics that lead to rankings may have been inflated due to lop sided time of possession however we have a very good defense currently.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Maybe that has something to do with losing seven starters, including three early to the NFL, then losing our best and most disruptive player by the fourth game of the season--before which were in fact were a 3 and out machine. To claim Muschamp can't coach defense is plain silliness. We had more issues on defense last year, but it was still a very solid unit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Blood does not have much of a smell at first. Now when it sits around for awhile that is probably a different story. And when the carcass of even a once proud animal is allowed to sit in the sun, you really have problems.

There is nothing wrong here. This is all perfectly acceptable because we have heard it from the ICONS of the forum. There is nothing ever wrong for certain people who view it as a sign of dishonor to point out what is going on. Even if it smells like a piece of rancid meat,looks like a piece of rancid meat, we can turn it into fine Steak Tartare from the Palm by just wishing it so. Just remember the names of people who label people as "haters
    " and/or "trolls" because they didn't want their alma maters to be objects of national ridicule. And I guarantee a Track and Field Championship in 2014 ain't serving as any balm.
  18. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,196
    I never said Muschamp can't coach defense. IMO, he is an elite DC and has worn that hat admirably at UF. Was just responding to backward logic in the previous post.
  19. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Our defense had as much to do with, or more so, the TOP than the offense did.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Even A bad defense doesn't get gashed by Vanderbilt s Posey up the middle all game and give up 462 on the ground to GS with them having 19 out of 65 scholly players injured when they have zero yds passing.
    Pathetic and getting worse daily.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1