Why a conservative offense?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DivePlay, Sep 7, 2013.

1. DivePlay

DivePlay Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Is our conservative offense really a choice? So it has been stated that we a lacking playmakers in certain positions which forces us to run a conservative offense, but I am not sure it is that simple.

It is almost like Muschamp is so worried about our guys messing up a play that he keeps it as dumbed down as possible. Is it possible that the playcalling is being hamstrung so to speak?
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    I wouldn't call today's offense conservative, honestly. It wasn't good, but we took some shots.
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,551
    I'd love to see what Pease can dial up without Muschamp wanting to run the ball all day.

If our last TD is what is to expect from a real game called by Pease, I say lets give it a go.
  4. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +179
    I agree but if that was because Muschamp took over then well......
  5. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +157
    It is Muschamp's choice. Pease didnt run this at Boise. We will see if he now starts to believe you have to be able to score more than 14 and commit 0 turnovers to win.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    There is some question of whether Pease "ran" anything at Boise, though.
  7. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    There is nothing conservative about turning the ball over as many times as the team did today. The offense can work but not with poor play.
  8. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    The offense is predicated on what our QB can handle. And there's your answer
  9. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Offense depends on execution! As the first Tampa Bay Bucs head coach (John McKay) once said when asked about his team's execution....."I'm in favor of it"..... :-(
  10. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    I'm fine with having a power running offense that can wear opponents down and dictate field position. You can definitely win with that, but you have to also have some quick-strike ability and you cannot make mistakes. Currently we have very little of the former and way too much of the latter.

I also think we lack too much aggressiveness in our play calling, and our slow tempo tends to suck away our momentum on drives.
  11. GatorChoice

GatorChoice Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    We don't need to have zero turnovers, but can't afford 4+, that's for darn sure. Minus the turnovers, our strategy works. Matt Jones almost broke that long run in the 4th, which would have given us the lead - and that's with all the stupid mistakes. I'm not pleased with the current status of things, but I don't think it calls for meltdown.
  12. bamascott2

bamascott2 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I know this guy is way better than Weiss, and Bama competed with UF for Pease's services a couple of years ago...but, he seemed to be really frustrated in interviews this past week (the guru card comment). I wonder if he's starting to feel that Muschamp is too conservative offensively for his philosophy...and what are the chances that there may be another OC change after this season.
  13. BurnKarma

BurnKarma Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    His name is Kerwin and Muschamp needs to have no say in the offense. If we could score 30 points a game we would never lose with our defense.
  14. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258

I wonder if Brent Pease would like to have the Alabama or Florida OC choice he had to do over??
  15. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    I just want to know the truth about the playcalling and how much Muschamp actually "holds back" Pease as so many on this board claim. I'll admit, I'm totally ignorant as to what actually goes on...
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    That didn't look like a conservative offense. That was turning over the ball in the red zone
  17. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    It's ironic that wanting to be conservative to avoid turnovers puts us in 3rd and long situations which lead to turnovers.

Our offense was fine today for the most part. We just have no ability to score wether from the red zone or with the big play.
  18. dohcvtecpower

dohcvtecpower Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    It was pretty conservative and how many times are we going to run the dive play into a stacked box this season?
  19. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Maybe I was watching a different game today or I am confused ...

Five turnovers is what was wrong with the Offense today. I doubt Pease drew the plays up to generate turnovers or that Muschamp ordered Pease to generate five turnovers today.

Conservative? I thought Driskel set a personal passing record today with 291 yards ... and we had a run pass ratio of 44:33 which is 43% pass. I think we were 34% last year.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    It's often what you get in the early years of a D-coordinator elevated to head coach. DCs want to limit the amount of time the other offense has the ball, and to minimize the chance that the defense gets put in un-adventagous situations via the turnovers that can happen if the offense takes chances.

So WM wants an offense that doesn't take chances (and cause problems for his defense) and takes as much time off the clock as possible (to lessen the number of chances the opponent's offense has to make plays). Running and pounding takes time off the clock, so there is less chance to have the defense make a mistake.

If you want to look at who we are right now, look at the (gasp) Jets. Ryan take over, they run the ball all the time and the defense looks great until they run into an offense that can move on them, then, because they have no practice as an explosive offense, they don't know what to do.

It usually takes a DC gaining some confidence in himself and learning to see the world through something other than defensive eyes before they open things up. When (if) they do, their offenses become explosive -- look at the Patriots and Oklahoma. But it takes time and confidence and a willingness to see the game in a different way, and we'll just have to see whether WM has that ability.