Who's Getting These Blue Cross Cancellations?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Getting nervous when I heard about the 300K being dropped from BCBS FL. I have an individual policy on my family, but I just received an e-mail from them saying I'm not affected.
    So who are these people, and what are the plans? I think for us to know the proper effect Obamacare is having on medicine, we need to identify the people being thrown off insurance plans.
    Are they:
    (1) the sicker
    (2) the older
    (3) people on HSA or high deductible plans
    (4) people on some real low benefit plan like something that only covers annual physicals or something
    (5) people on catastrophic plans

Please don't respond by linking articles, I don't want hearsay. I want to know if you or anyone you know has been dropped, and a brief summary of your/their situation may help us find out who's taking the hit here.

For you leftists, if people are being thrown off high-deductible plans for exchange plans that cost more with higher deductibles, this has to be fixed. While I agree that American healthcare is better when the consumer has more "skin in the game", it has to be within reason and reform should not cost a person more money for a policy that has a higher deductible. That implies that Obama is paying for the unfortunate on the backs of those that were being responsible and buying a minimal plan to suit their personal needs. So you're paying for the poor from people that didn't use the system at all.

For the right wing reactionaries, if the people being dropped have crappy plans, this could potentially be a good thing, for the consumer and the current admin. It would be more difficult to reverse course if we discover that those 300K had plans that only paid $50 for a visit, the remainder fell to the patient's responsibility, or something like that. This admin could say "We had to set a bare minimum for these people". I used to see plans like that all the time, where someone would come in with their chest all puffed out, proudly slap down their Blue Cross card, ask for the works-stress tests, CAT scans- then realize their "insurance" only paid about $50 regardless of what all was ordered.

So before we get all knee-jerk here, let's get some hard data, ask around and see if any of your buddies have been dropped, let's see where Obama is going with this. Once we see who's getting these notices, we'll have a better idea of cause-and-effect, as well as motives.
  2. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    My sister in law received one. She was on a Higher Deductable (6 K out of pocket) plan that did not include some of the RCC (Regime Required Coverage). Her premiums jumped from $900 month to $1226 month for her and 3 kids (ages 14,14,16). And her deductable will jump to either 10 K or 12 K. But she now gets birth control and maternity coverage which she really needs at age 55. And mental health coverage which she will need when she files claims.
  3. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    See, now this we can use. I'm still trying to be fair here, but this sounds like an f'd up system. How on Earth can someone condone taking someone who was responsible enough to get good coverage (for their whole family, mind you) and force them to pay more for a higher deductible plan? Makes no sense to me. Surely even a liberal will admit that's pretty messed up.
    East, can you find out more? did they drop her because they always used the doctors alot? Do any of them have any serious health problems? Were they being discriminated against because of health status? Was their BCBS an HMO or PPO?
    There has to be a pattern here.
  4. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    No, her policy was cancelled because it did not confirm to ACA. Her new comparable option with BCBS will run $300 month more with a much higher deductible. Her family has no abnormal medical issues. (2) 14 year old boys and a 16 year old girl. (husband passed away 5 years ago). So this single mom, rather than seeing her premiums go down $2500 has seen them go up by $3000 for a $5500 swing.

I have a similar policy through United Health Care and we were paying $950 month for my wife and I and one 23 year old daughter who was in grad school. We have a $6000 deductible. We also have a Health Savings account that we could put $6200 annually in which almost covered our deductible. Our new policy was going up 18.7%but our daughter graduated is now on her companies insurance and our policy went up to $967 and our deductible is now $8 K. So we are insuring one less person with $2000 more on our deductible for about the same dollars. Apparently our policy is compliant so we did not get cancelled.
  5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    tell her to call her Congressman/woman's office to solve her specific problem.

stay on it every week....you (congress) voted this in, you put it on us, now solve the problem for me.
  6. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,539

Thanks for the info, GDE.

These real-world examples do not seem to be out of the mainstream of reports that are starting to build.

At least, they seem to outweigh the "successful" switches by a large margin.
  7. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    For the majority on their company's insurance, the changes might not seem severe. However deductables are going up, meaning out of pocket is going up and premiums companies are paying are increasing. The money has to come from somewhere. So where does it come from? Companies will not accept lower profit margins or in some cases, they can't. And they can't raise their prices too much. So it comes from future raises (less), future promotions (less) and productivity...asking each employee to take on a little more work.

So Obamacare hurts everyone except the freeloaders, mooches, slackers and looters who are getting it for free courtesy of the rest of us.
  8. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    On a lighter note----Based on your bolded statement--you may want to make sure you have mental health coverage if you truly expect a liberal to admit to anything Husseincare does as being messed up. Believing that comment for a minute shows signs of pure delusion :grin:
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    I don't know anyone specifically but heard from my agents mouth about the situation when discussing our small group policy and helping get information for a part time employee whose full time employer dropped health benefits for them.

I did not know it was going to happen this fast as it was last week my agent said they recently received a letter/memo from Florida Blue/BCBS that all individual policies were going to be cut in order to meet compliance with but I thought it was going to be done over the 2014 year. Too bad if you liked your policy.

I truly believe the same will be done to small group policies next year unless this thing crumbles before en which is at least looking possible...
  10. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    The good thing for those high deductible plans, is that the family out of pocket maximum for any plan is $12,500, so once the deductible is paid, that's it.
  11. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    I still have a feeling the insurance companies are going to make out like bandits when all of this settles down. Higher deductibles plus higher premiums. See no reason that won't translate into higher profits.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Do you think that may be offset by no lifetime maximums and capped yearly costs?
  13. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    It's hard to tell at this time but having worked with insurance companies for several years I have a strong feeling they will come out of this better than they went into it. Those guys don't miss a trick.

One of the things you would need to look at is what percentage of people are affected by those things you listed vs the amount of people who will be hit with higher deductibles and premiums. Right off I would think the latter would be the larger group by a hefty margin.
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    Why is it a good thing if I want lower premiums and a higher deductible that I will not be able to purchase that product?
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    I agree that insurance companies will make out.
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +528
    Here is my letter from Humana:

Which option do you think I took? :grin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    You mean to tell me you already had private insurance and Obozocare was going to make your premium go up? You don't say....... :rolleyes:
  18. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Insurance companies were all in on Obamacare. And your premise is would be true....if the youngsters who are extremely profitable sign up. So far, that has not been the case. It is the chronic illness folks who've signed up with the insurance carriers and the majority on all exchanges have been Medicaid. Including the young. This will cause many insurers to bail out of the exchanges.
  19. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,451
    link
  20. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,651
    You keep trying to peddle something but it still has an awful smell. How do you explain all the other states where hundreds of thousands of people are losing their insurance?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.