Who will take the last shot of a game?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by phideltdj, Nov 6, 2013.

1. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    One of our big problems in years past is not having a guy that can make the critical basket at the end of the game...we know KB tried hard many times and was unsuccessful and Erv hit one I believe but really no go to guy. Is there someone on this team this year that you want the ball in the hands of for a final shot...Frazier...Hill?
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    We seldom have that guy because want to run our offense in those situations and get a good look rather than force something for a single player. It hasn't always worked well, but Donovan is committed to it.
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +820
    I think part of the problem has been our settling for "shots" rather than attacking the basket. This year we should have better ability to do the latter.
  4. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Yeah, I really hope Donovan strays away from the "dribble the clock all the way down and take a contested shot" strategy.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    So do I, especially since he has never employed that before. Why start now?
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Last shots are interesting coaching decisions. Do you take a good shot when you can get one even if it gives the other team a last shot opportunity, or do you make sure that you take the last shot even though it might not be a good one? Billy seems to almost always opt for the latter choice. That works fine when the ball is in Lebron's hands, but does not work so well when the ball is in Kenny Boynton's hands. Nevertheless, it guarantees that the other team will not score while the Gators probably have a 25% or 30% chance of scoring.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    Donovan has always preferred the last shot, yes. But whether you go early or go late, I don't think it makes much of a difference if you don't have a lights out scorer. If someone has a shot in the framework of the offense, whether that is at 8 seconds or 2, then he should take it.
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    That certainly is the other side of the coin. However, the strategy probably should be different if it is the end of the 1st half versus the end of a tied game. At the end of a tie game, I generally would opt for the lower percentage last shot so that we either win or go into overtime. At the end of the first half, I would work for a good shot and not worry about whether it is the last shot.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    I don't doubt you're right that he's technically never employed this, but you wouldn't know this from watching these last second plays unfold. Either he's devising them, or players are deciding to do their own thing (more likely).
  10. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    I do think we tended to see a "hold the ball for the last shot, take a long-distance shot" approach when Walker was here. It made a certain amount of sense in tie games: Walker had insane range on his shot and was pretty slick with the ball, but he could make some bad decisions when driving that lead to turnovers, so your best bet was to let a pretty good three-point shooter take the shot while minimizing any risk of a devastating turnover.
  11. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    This has been something of an issue for Billy D' teams almost from the Get-go. With Mike Miller on board, you expected to get and hit a good percentage, but with Boynton, as was noted, usually the hits were not the norm.

Having a go-to guy can be either an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how many shut down defenders the opponents have.

Any time you are in a close game, things can go either way. Randomly, you should win half and lose half of such games. I've never bothered to keep track.

Because the Gators should and have blown out the majority of opponents during the past 15 years or so, this only sometimes becomes relevant.

This year, I see several outstanding defensive players, but few go-to offensive guys. Perhaps DFS who, with his height and ball handling/passing/dribbling skills would be a load in such a situation.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    As I recall, one of the central critiques of the 1999-00 team during the course of the season was that we lacked someone who could close out a game. Miller was never wired as an Alpha-male (unlike Dupay, who was similar to Walker in that he had the confidence to take any shot). The Butler win was the anomaly--and only because Dupay dribbled the ball of his leg and it went right to Miller.
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Kenny Boynton will still take the last shot, and he's not even on the team. And he still won't make it.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    Wait, I thought that was Walker?
  15. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I like the thought of Hill driving to the rim and being able to dish it to a big or Wilbekin/Frazier. Also theres a chance he makes it all the way to the hoop and puts it in himself. It seems like we may see a few circus shots going down while hes here.
  16. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +820
    Dribbled it off his leg?
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    Went back and watched it after you posted this and he didn't actually dribble it off his leg. He was stumbling as he dished it to Miller. And here I thought for ever a decade that he lost the ball.
  18. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +820
    Whew. . . You had me second guessing my recollection! Lol!
  19. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I like the sound of this.

A lot depends, of course, on the point situation. And on how good a shooter (or not) Hill turns out to be. If we need 1 or 2 points to tie or win, I'd be happy and confident with Hill taking the ball to the hole, based on his slipperiness I saw in the exhibition game (and assuming he's a good free-throw shooter).

If we need a 3, I want Hill drawing people and then getting the ball to a wide-open Frasier II.

But really, there's a lot to learn about this group. After a month, I may be confident with Carter, Finney-Smith, or someone else getting the shot. I don't yet know if Wilbekin is a guy who can "create" a shot when he's covered...he seems like a guy who can hit it when he's open.

Everyone remember that shocker, way back when, when little-known and seldom-used freshman Lee Humphrey bagged the 3-pointer in the final seconds to shock Alabama in the SEC tournament?
  20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    I would guess it will be Carter once he's close to 100%.