Who is UCLA?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by orlandogator, Mar 24, 2014.

1. bruinfan

bruinfan Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    If point guard Kyle Anderson is leading the break he has an advantage being 6-9. A normal sized guard isn't going to stop him.
  2. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    You want a caveat. Here's a caveat.

Defensive Ranking of some UCLA opponents

Oakland 323
    Oregon State 299 (2)
    USC 295
    Washington 288 (2)
    Chattanooga 272
    Nevada 269
    Morehead State 254
    ASU 155 (2)
    Cal 152 (2)

Stats are not comparable when you aren't playing the same game. UCLA is playing in faster paced games with more possessions. Nominal stats will of course be higher as they are in football when a no huddle offense like Baylor that will run 85 snaps vs. a team like Alabama with 60 snaps.

On a per possession basis, UCLA scores .015 points more than UF on offense and yields 0.08 points more than Florida on defense. All of those other stats combined roll up into those two.

At the end of the day, the game is going to be about matchups. UF is going to have to keep Anderson from getting close too close to the basket. He doesn't have to be right at the rim to finish. His arms are so long that he can usually shoot over defenders (exception for Chris Walker) and finish well within 5-6 feet of the basket. Good defensive footwork will be at a premium.
  3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    The SEC cheer was initially used by fans whose school had just won the conference championship. My recollection is that once we started dominating the national championship game, it just sort of carried over as a rubbing-it-in-your-face cheer that other conferences can't beat the SEC. Anyone know which national title game that started?
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    clearly you have never heard of Scottie Wilbekin
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,095
    It makes no sense to you.

Yes, there are cultural differences between Southern California and Northern Florida.
  6. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,095
    I always thought it started w/ the SECCG. But I have nothing to base that off of but my own hazy memories. And trust me, The early 90s are hazy.
  7. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    I can definitely recall LSU fans and players chanting in 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I find it an interesting dynamic that there has been a ton of talk throughout the season about how disrespected UF has been by the experts and media types, yet we have many of those same folks saying this will be a difficult game for us to win.

It absolutely is fine to look at the game with some trepidation regarding the matchups, but I wonder why so many people keep talking about a 6'9" point forward and the games against Arizona. Is UCLA a good team? Yes. With that said, they lost 8 games this year and a few of them were not to good teams at all.

I don't think you can have it both ways. We're the #1 overall seed, yet some are acting like we should be the underdogs here.

Again, looking objectively at how the game might play out via matchups, etc is fine, but there's a lot of "worry" when I personally feel like this team has shown me all I need to know this year about how they will handle playing this game and the rest of the tournament. I trust the coaches and players will find a way to get it done, just as they have all year.

Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    My understanding is it was started in the 06 game against OSU. The sec was getting poo pooed for months leading up to that game. Remember the big stink being made for giving Michigan a rematch? That chant was a way of thumbing our nose at the big 10. at least thats how I see it
  10. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I still think by the time this game is over, we will be saying pitt was harder.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,388
    from what I am reading,
    UCLA is a damn good team coming together at just the right time.
  12. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Who was the last guard centric team to give us trouble? Mizzou comes to mind, they have comparable guards with NBA bodies and games but better big men then UCLA, Uconn maybe? I would take Napier over anybody on UCLA and they have better bigs as well.

Better question, who was the last team with no bigs to give us trouble - none- maybe Auburn, if we feed Pat Young with Finney Smith, Prather and Frazier all crashing the boards they will not hang with us. We just can't fall in love with the three, even if it is open, except for Frazier.
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    Auburn and Missouri both come to mind. Auburn got so many good looks from the outside. It was very surprising.
  14. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,095
    It's the small quick guards that have really given us fits. UCLA isn't that, but they do run an unconventional offense that will require us to adjust here in these 4 days. I have faith that we have the coach, the skill, and the determination to do so.

I'm less worried about us scoring as I am keeping their scoring in check. 70+ i think we've got a 30% chance. 65-70: 50%. 60-65: 75%. <60: 99%.
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +618
    The SEC chant sort of evolved from having won the SEC Championship to knowing that you're going to play in the SEC Championship Game to bragging that our conference is better than *their* conference. The crowd chanted "SEC" when the basketball team had clinched a perfect SEC record, but I don't recall it being chanted when we beat Kansas. And Bruinfan, I've definitely know PAC 12 folks root for their brethren where specific rivalry is not involved (you still have Alabama fans won't pull for Auburn and vice versa; FLORIDA fans won't pull for Georgia and vice versa). Why conference pride? Any system that you're in that depends on the success of your fellow conference members makes it productive to have them have successful seasons. Even if you listen to the coaches talk, they like to see their conferences elevated and will root for other teams within their own conference. It makes sense even if it's not always easy to do as a fan.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  16. spike718

spike718 Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
  17. Droppingin

Droppingin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    Nobody in the country gets it. I think is a southern thing.

It does make sense if you think of it like a family. For example, I can criticize my stupid brother but anyone else better not dare to.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. spike718

spike718 Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    My first recollection of the "sec" chant was when Florida was playing Duke in the 1994 final four. Arkansas fans cheered 'sec'when Florida took the court for warm ups and near the end of the game. They may have cheered it again after we lost - seemingly honoring our team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,095
    From the little internet research I just did, I found multiple message board sources saying that Arkansas was the originator of the chant and that they started doing it in their final SWC season as a way of saying we're moving on up. That would mean '91. I really have vivid memories of that chant in Atlanta after the 94 SECCG, but no one should trust my memories from that chapter of my life.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Interesting dynamic having a 6'9" ball handler. Should be a close nip and tuck game. I am not of mind that we are invincible. What should stand out is that they beat Oregon, Stanford, and Zona in 3 straight days. They can play.
    • Agree Agree x 1