Who is the next UF commit?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Briang8r, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    I usually try to stay positive, but when all those predictions happen at once, there typically seems to be validity to it. I believe we will be fine in general recruiting-wise. What really concerns me is that our remaining WR board is nearly vacant from what I can tell. We have one good one, but need several. Once again, we are watching all of the top talented playmakers in Florida go to fsu, or out of state without getting our fair share. fsu pulled Lane and Malone last year, and are now at least looking to be pulling away for Campbell and Davis. If Campbell does end up at fsu, we will again be settling at the playmaker positions. Our state is known for these types of players. It's what is supposed to give us a competetive edge, and we keep watching the best ones go to our competetion.

I know that we have to show it on the field this year, but by that time, we may be stuck trying to flip committed players. I'm not saying that it can't be done, as Muschamp has proven the opposite. There just isn't a lot to be optimistic about when it comes to us and recruiting playmakers, and it's been that way for a while now (the 2012 and 2014 classes are particularly concerning IMO). Heck, our most talented receiver from last year's class is playing CB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    Yeah I agree with you, it certainly does nto look good as far as Campbell goes. But if he really does like UF a lot, then I could see him flipping back to us with a good season if we lose him here soon.

I don't think the same can be said about Ray-Ray. I just feel like he's tied in with Cain and wants to play with him, and the chances of getting both of them to flip is extremely small. I'm really not sure who all is left on the receiver board at this point either... Javarius Davis and Antonio Calloway like AS said?

They're both 3* and Davis is listed as a RB but runs a 4.38 and his highlights look pretty good. What makes me nervous about him though is that he plays DB as well and you know how Champ is with DBs. Callaway is a little bigger than Davis, which is nice for a receiver, and looked to have decent speed, but not 4.38 speed. He also played at Booker T. with Treon Harris so that's good too because they'll have some familiarity and chemistry with each other.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    That's my concern as well. We just aren't currently in a lot of top 5s for receivers currently. Maybe Campbell, Davis, or even Tate take a second look at us when they consider the depth chart at fsu, especially once D. Phillips joins the fold. Javarius Davis may flip to us from UNC, and he has a similar skill set to Ray Ray.

I've decided to temper my pessimism. You never know who becomes available over time. Kids flip late in the process frequently, so it's impossible to know. 3 straight years of bad to horrible offense is certainly taking its toll, as is WM's hot seat. We have to show something on the field to change all that. I've never seen a regular season be this important to recruiting before.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    Yeah I actually did some brief investigating on Callaway and Davis, and edited my previous post. But it's never good when you have to rely on opponents getting too many committments to land your recruit. I just don't see how people think Florida is a 4-8 team from here on out. I mean yeah we had a bad season, but it's not like that's how our seasons have gone for the last decade. Hopefully our play will bring back the talent this year, but I don't like that Campbell is most likely not going to wait and see how we play on the field, just like Ray-Ray didn't wait and see, and neither did Williams.
  5. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    I don't like it either, but think about how easy we've made negative recruiting for the other schools. It isn't just that we went 4-8 last year. It's also that we have been bad offensively for quite some time now. I mean, these kids were in middle school the last time that we had a consistently good offense. We were OK in 2012, but still pretty boring and nothing to write home about really.

Tennessee is pulling 5 * WRs the last two classes, and they've been a bad team for a while. The difference is that they typically have a pretty good offense that throws the ball. Similarly, our defensive recruiting hasn't suffered one bit, and that's because we have been awesome on that side of the ball and putting guys into the league. IMO, it's important for us to show these kids that we have corrected the problem and that they can be successful if they come here.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    Yeah I guess that makes sense. You kinda fall into this woe is me phase when things like this happen, and completely forget about the top LB and OL/DL we pulled away from Meyer, and the LB in Georgia's backyard that we beat out Bama for. And let's not forget that Dillon is a freak with the ball in his hands, we just need more talent around him in this class.

All things considered though, we look good on the OL, DL, LB, and QB front as far as recruiting goes. We just need some playmakers.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. thedyc09

thedyc09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    We've been caught in this cycle for 4-5 years. WR production drops, so the best WR recruits don't want come, so we settle for lesser WR recruits, which leads to lower production, which - you guessed it - makes it that much harder to bring in top WRs, and so on.

Then when we do finally grab someone who's that extra 10% more special (not to take away from any of our current roster) they tear a hammy their first fall or they struggle with maturity or they struggle to grasp the playbook. When you're only bringing in one 5-star type player (the kind you can expect immediate production from) every two years or so, you have to have a 100% hit rate on them, and we just haven't had that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    You hit the nail on the head. Add in poor/inconsistent offensive coaching and QB play, and you have a recipe for disaster. Also we took a beating with transfers from 4* guys who would all be upper classmen by now in Dunkley (2010 - same class as Dunbar), McRoy (2011), and Story (2011). Who knows if they would have turned out, but they were talented guys. Other than 2013, we haven't signed more than 2 WRs since 2010. I mean, look at our recent WR recruiting. It is kind of scary.

2011: Ju’Juan Story and Jarves McRoy – Both transferred
    2012: 3* Raph Andrades, our only WR and lowest rated recruit that class
    2013 : Good year with three 4* recruits in Robinson, Fullwood and Bailey, plus 3* Chris Thompson and 3* Marqui Hawkins (transferred)
    2014: CJ Worton and Ryan Sousa, both 3*. J.C. Jackson would count, but he is at CB
    2015: 4* Derrick Dillon and ???
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Missing Pittman from 2012
  10. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    Alright so has anyone heard anything about Keion Joyner? He visited yesterday and there's a story on him on 247 but it's VIP access only so I couldn't read it. He's a 5* and the #1 OLB in the country out of NC, but is predicted 100% to go to LSU. However, it seems like there's been some talk about him and the Gators lately. Could there be a small chance that we land him? I'm assuming we would take him over Coney, Smith, or Holland based on his rankings.
  11. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Good catch. He was listed as an ATH and I missed him.
  12. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    He's a 2016 kid.
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,054
    I'm hoping they stay open to UF long enough that we aren't shut out regardless of how the season plays out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,384
    If the reports out of camp are accurate we should see a big improvement in the offense. And recruits that spend time on campus seem to love the team atmosphere, so all in all, I think we'll get some. Hard to tell how many or who.

Clemson will be hard to get Ray Ray from I think. They have a good atmosphere, pretty location and established offense he can work with. And they probably pay more than we do.

Winning from places like Miami should be easier I think.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +930
    So I guess you have studied film on Campbell? You are a poor mans Luginbill aren't you.. When is your recruiting service coming out?
    • Boring Boring x 1
  16. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    I'm just repeating what basically every recruiting service says about him. Are you saying you haven't heard that same thing?
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    Like ltraz said, it is well known that Campbell has some issues with his hands. He may be able to overcome it, but more than likely he ends up as a safety or a corner.
  18. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jdubb34

jdubb34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Nice call ctresh
    • Like Like x 1
  20. fl_champ20051

fl_champ20051 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    So, who's next in line to possibly commit?