Who has developed?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Tasselhoff, Nov 12, 2013.

1. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    Sorry, should have been alleviate, not alive... I do not have any special connections to coaches or the team, other than having a son as a member of that team. I express only my opinion on this board as does anyone else. IMO, short of Townsend breaking his leg, or a debilitating injury, Kyle will not see the field again, regardless of perceived competition. A coach doesn't burn a redshirt and later admit that it might have been a mistake by benching him. Just can't see that happening, but would be happy to be wrong.

Last season, kicking and punting greatly aided the team in winning several games (IMO). This season, despite what some might think (IMO), punting has not cost the team a "W". In the LSU game Kyle was eviscerated for 2 touchbacks. On the 2 LSU possessions after the touchbacks, LSU want 36 and 33 yards and punted (per box score stats from the game)each time. In Townsend's first game @ Missouri, he also had 2 touchbacks. Missouri punted after the first one, and kicked a field goal after the second. IMO, punting didn't win or lose either game.

Everyone on a team believes that they can (and wants to) contribute to success. When coach calls your number, you don't think twice, you grab your helmet and take the field. You can't blame a player for wanting to get in the game and give it his all.

As to "ruining" anyone's career, that has not yet happened. But if the dream of playing at the next level is still alive, you'd better be the starter your senior year.
  2. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    I think Purifoy has regressed but that may need to be tempered with some expectation management.

Riggs is playing out of position IMO

The LB corp is not performing well. When was the last time Kitchens was in the game for meaningful snaps? Morrison has certainly regressed.

What about guys like Maye? Got beat once over the middle and we haven't seen him since? Did we just give up on "developing" him?

We have a punter who was an all American last year who finds himself as a back up.

Patton says himself he was just as capable last year. Fulwood finally catches a slant pass and we never throw that route again.

The running back and QB situation has been repeatedly discussed.

Joyer was surprisingly absent during the middle of the season.

Clay Burton has been targeted 4 or 5 times all year.

What evidence do you use to suggest these players have developed. What about the rest of the roster.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    added Showers now Maye
  4. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Purifoy- techniques is better this year watch the film not read the press clippings (two years ago he was a special teams player)

Kitchens- has been hurt but this said the last few years when he has been healthy always been good setting the edge. Never thought he would ever really play

Maye- well he made mistakes and lost his job isnt that people want out of the staff? Watkins and Gorman have done a good job.

Kyle played bad and lost his job again isnt this what we want to happen when you play bad. Kyle has got to figure it out himself teams dont carry kicking coaches

Patton also said his route running got better in the last year

Riggs- you can say he is out of position but he has played well at the position. You get your best players on the field and the staff has done that in the secondary. They also have Riggs ready to play 3 positions.

Joyer has played but so has Ajagbe

Burton still has gotten significantly better at blocking this didnt say what they had been developed at
  5. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +264
    Purifoy's tackling technique certainly hasn't improved. (PS, I watch all the games and review most

I would think Maye could have been developed instead of apparently being discarded. I think Kyle was discarded as well.

Joyer has always been consistent. Glad the see the new fullback contributing. So not sure I would count that as developing.

Riggs missed a big open field tackle in the LSU game. Thank god he didn't get the Maye/Kyle treatment.

Frankly with closed practices I'm not sure how anyone would truly quantify development.
  6. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    IMO, Kyle's specific struggles have/are being addressed, and it had nothing to do with anything physical.

As to your specific question, that is a business. There are former k/p'ers that make a living by "coaching" kickers and punters. Kyle has a couple that he's worked with and we've paid some and others have become family friends who love working with him, but they're up here and not in Gainesville.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    see what you are doing? lol His tackling hasnt improved but his play in coverage has thus he has improved.

Gorman has improved and so has Watkins so Maye is not getting on the field see how that works? He still getting work in practice. We are talking about a redshirt freshmen playing the 2nd hardest position on the defense

Riggs missed a few tackles but what about all the ones he made?

I see improvement on the field of play. But if you believe that statement then this thread should not even have been made
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    I think you could easily include Easley. He was highly rated recruit with an incredible first step that didn't produce much to possibly the most dominate defensive player in the country before his injury.

While they were already really good players- I think it's fair to say Elam, Reed and Floyd all improved under this coaching staff
  9. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    Keep in mind that there are several players that are playing injured. They just don't report the injuries that a player can "play" through.
  10. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +264
    I don't "see what I am doing" beyond trying to determine levels of player development. Would you say as a whole the team is getting better or worse with the existing talent. Using the current line of logic a lineman who picks up .1 second on his 40 time has improved regardless of his ability to block.
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I agree with that.
  12. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Elam, Floyd and Easley improved when they had an NFL Defensive Coordinator and a 15 year NFL lineman coaching them. This year.......
  13. trustamerica

trustamerica Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Yes they all have improved!
  14. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +264
    Who?
  15. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Yeah, even our All American punter regressed so badly that he doesn't even play anymore.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Fowler has improved I wonder how that happened. The new safeties have improved I wonder how that happened. Easley was the most dominate linemen in the country this year until he got hurt
  17. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Of course punting has not cost us any games. Maybe a complete lack of offense is what has done us in. I'm afraid Christy is the scapegoat for the offensive woes, as it seems WM is happy enough with the offense if they can burn as much time as possible then punt it back to the other team. This ill-conceived plan doesn't work if your punter is struggling as it puts his precious defense in bad position. Maybe if we focused more on having a good offense punting wouldn't be so critical to our team's success. But I suppose its easier to replace one punter than it is to build an entire offense which is something you've never successfully done before.

Benching Christy meanwhile failing to make any major changes to a dismal offense, only supports the theory that hes in over his head when it comes to offense and is happy to ignore it and play the keep-away-and-punt game.
  18. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +264
    Would you count the Missouri game as an improvement in the secondary? To be fair those are big receivers.
  19. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    You do realize that Halapio had a torn pec that wasn't 100% when he came back. It seems to still be troubling him; however he wants to help contribute as much as possible.
  20. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Not related here, but you think Mornhinweg starts this weekend?