Who has developed?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Tasselhoff, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    What player/players do you think have been coached up and developed into signifigantly better players than they were 1 or 2 years ago?

On offense
    Halapio..although this year is tough due to injury
    Harrison...Then again could just be more reps and a little older /stronger
    Patton? Wasn't used alot early...getting far more touches now
    Maybe Dunbar?

On Defense
    Can't think of anyone I would say is much improved over the last year or two.
    Purifoy...nope
    Any linebacker.... no
    Dline.....maybe just maybe Bullard.
    Dbacks...Watkins or Riggs somewhat.

I admit, I am not an expert. So maybe some of you see a ton of improvement and development that I am missing.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    No coaching, no development. But give them 3-4 more years.
  3. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    I have developed a hire the best and spend the damn money Foley attitude. Bargain basement trainees, need not apply.
  4. Zepgator

Zepgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I would say Fowler and Patton - that is it. The real question is, how many are worse (Morrison, Christy, Halapio too - he is terrible)?
  5. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    Right there with you, rpm!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    Can't speak for the other two, but as stated previously in this thread, no coaching, no improvement. Additionally, Kyle got off to a poor start, but has not been given the opportunity to show he's back to form, and likely will not be given that chance again.
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    It's hard to say since there's still so many of Urban's guys running around out there. I thought he did a nice job with Josh Evans and Lerentee McCray last year.

But this year is not looking so hot.

Fowler and Bullard, as good as they are, are they playing like 5* players? They are *nice* players but not dominant.

Looking back at the 2011 and 2012 recruiting classes you'd be hard pressed to find a solid example of someone getting much better over time. Possibly Roberson? On a smaller scale Poole and Gorman seem to becoming ok players.

Next year we are going to need A LOT of these redshirt freshmen to step up big time or else it is going to be ugly again. It'd be nice if more of them were getting PT now. They might be better-served that way versus redshirting.
  8. southernmost

southernmost Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Our main offensive stalwarts are all leftovers from the Meyer era.
  9. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Wow, feel for you. I can imagine it has been a difficult year for you guys. Just have him keep working hard and try to maintain a positive attitude! Hopefully he gets his chance to prove he is one of the best punters in the country!
  10. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    Developed? Lol

More like regressed
  11. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Angry poppa what makes you think he won't see the field again? Do you have any contact with the coach? I completely understand your frustration. Just curious.
  12. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Not to nitpick but Fowler, in my eyes has been pretty dominant. He is all over the field. Bullard a little more inconsistent.

Think some of the younger guys are improving like Kelvin Taylor, Ahmad Fulwood.

I really think it is hard on the OL. It is nearly impossible to keep switching positions, especially rotating from guard to tackle and tackle to guard and left to right and right to left, and do well. These positions are vastly different from one another.
  13. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Not to rev you up, pops, but in the history of college football, has a coach ever benched an All American punter rather than let them work through it? I mean, if Tebow were going through a rough streak of incompletions, would we bench him in favor of letting him work it out? To make matters worse, we burned the redshirt off another high-caliber prospect as if that's the reason we weren't winning games. Now, our team has basically screwed one or the other kid, either one of which may have wanted to end up doing this professionally. So if Kyle never sees the field, we messed him up. If Johnny never gets back in, we messed his career up and wasted one of his four years of eligibility. This reminds me of the great idea to burn two QB redshirts in the same year, and we all know how that ended.
  14. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    At the same time, at least there is some competition with the punting? Maybe it will bring out the best in both punters? Too bad there isn't the opportunity for competition going on at every position or even most of them. Injuries and lack of depth have really limited the ability to push players more at their positions.
  15. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    With respect I think you have to be careful about what you choose to say proud_poppa, criticisms coming from you are different from that of the average poster considering your connection to the team. Having said that, Kyle was just not the same dynamite punter that the team relied on last season. I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread regarding player development, there seems to be little to no advancement in skills and productivity. It's just a bunch of raw guys running around trying to use their natural athletic talent to win games and accumulating way too many penalties in the process. I still support Will, but his learning on the job phase has to be over. Now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Gator Country
  16. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    The field looks better, that's an improvement.

Oh and last years punting was a BIG reason we did so well last year...
  17. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    You can probably point to a small handful of guys that have definitely progressed over the 3 years. At the same time you can probably point to a bit larger handful of guys that have regressed, and then finally you can point to a huge heap of players that just kind of are what they are. So its all kind of a wash in terms of the coaching were currently getting, IMO. We are in such a huge hole here we need drastic player development from at least 20-30 players to really get back to where we need to be.

I bet your average SEC fan would have trouble just naming any players on our team.
  18. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Kyle was not playing well. The position of punter in this scheme is almost as important as quarterback. All this talk about ruining careers is over blown. If Kyle played better he would start, he should still get a look at the next level but the idea of him continuing to play wasn't exactly helping his chances.

19. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Its amazing. Its almost a Spurrier-esque QB hook that WM pulled with the punters. But yet with the QB position itself we apparently are ok with mediocrity (from players that have accomplished very little, especially as compared to Christy) and any kind of replacement is really not even considered a remote possibility unless injury strikes.

Is the punting position more important to WM than the QB position? Seems so.
  20. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    ^So you want to start Staver?