While it got to close for comfort, we never trailed once in today's game...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorKP, Mar 16, 2014.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +711
    I disagree with this. I thought he played very well in the short time he was in the game, and was honestly surprised that he didn't spell PY more in the 2nd half, especially when Young appeared either hurt or winded (I'm not sure which). I agree he is our ninth man, but I think, given how well he was playing, that he could have pulled down a few more minutes. Who knows, maybe him playing more saves young from that 4th mystery foul and changes the whole game because PY playing with 3 fouls is a different beast than him playing with 4. On the flip side maybe he would have given up 4 straight buckets, it's hard to say, but I like the energy he brought to the floor.
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Slayer I didn't read your post but I'm just going to say let's not continue this silliness in the middle of a great basketball run. I regret making any comments or ratings that were negative and will gladly remove them. I'm a huge Florida basketball fan and don't want to represent the program, myself, or my basketball discussion in general in a poor manner. My apologies.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Appreciated. I removed my negative rating. I shouldn't have taken the comment so personally. Sorry about that.

Go gators :)
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    Well, we came back and outlasted a number of teams during the regular season and conference tournament, including Mizzou twice, UT twice, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Vandy, and Kentucky in their place, so I don't see how this a tendency for Donovan. And ask the Hall of Fame Duke head coach how his team held up late in the game against us in 2000.
  5. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +787

He played 3 min. He is our 9th man, his upside is good but he has not offensive game, and he is extremely slim, he is 6'10" 208 pounds, that's very light. He is going against some big boys. If he were not a top ten recruit we would not be talking so much about him. To date he is our 9th guy in the rotation, in close games he will not get much time.
  6. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +697
    He weighs more than 208...that was his HS weight - more like 220 now (which his ESPN profile reflects). Do you realize how much Anthony Davis and Noah weighed in college? Davis was 220 at UK. Noah was just over 220 as a Soph. KG weighed 220 as a rookie. I don't know where this idea that you have to be 240 lbs to be effective in the post comes from, but its false and Walker's minutes are not a reflection of his weight, and he does not get "pushed around." His feet are very active, and he does a great job denying the ball in the low post.

As for the continued statement that he is our 9th man, he is far from our 9th best basketball player, or 9th most talented player. He is not, however, one of the top 8 TEAM players in our system for the reasons I cited above. When they are just playing pickup ball (that includes former players and some current pros), he is one of the best players on the court. His talent is incredible, but he is at a huge disadvantage playing in our SYSTEM due to getting such an incredibly late mid-season start. I don't know how that can be any more clear. I will have to get the video camera out at practice and post some video sometime to show you guys what this guy can do when they are just playing ball. It's really too bad he didn't get here this summer.

He may have only played limited minutes in this last game, but he scored 5 points and grabbed a couple rebounds and had a steal.

If he were not a top 10 recruit, he would have been redshirted and would not even be capable of playing right now given the disadvantages he faced coming in this late.
  7. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Agreed. I don't see how that can be said about this year's team at all. They own the second half of games because they outlast the other teams, who themselves get incredibly fatigued fighting our relentless press and defensive rotations.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +787
    He is 208, he put on 8 pounds since getting on campus.
  9. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Where are you getting this from? I can take a pic of him on the scale in the locker room if you want? I'll be up there with the team tomorrow
  10. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +787

I don't get your argument, he is playing for the gators, not in a pick up game in New York. I never said he is not immensely talented, he is our 9th man in the rotation. Next year I expect him to start.
  11. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +697
    This entire things was in response to your statement that he isn't playing because he's "getting pushed around." That simply is not the case.
  12. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +787
    That's the last official weight I saw, if you see him weigh in I will take your word for it. Whatever he weighs, he is not a good low post defender at this point. I do agree he is vastly improved from game one, and I would love to see him continue to improve, I think billy knows what he is doing, but that's just me.
  13. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +787
    So why do you think he is not playing?
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,286
    Osiris, mdf - I think you're both right to some degree.

CW is a bit light to take on the bigger post players and keep them from backing him down all the way to the rim... but if his lower body and core are strong enough and he wants it enough, he can make it real tough on them to do that. Combine that with good feet and length denying the ball and he can certainly be effective, and I think we've seen progress in those areas.

In CW's first couple of appearances, he did have some troubles... I remember the Vols in particular going right thru him, and he wasn't denying the ball. His last few appearances he has handled much better.

No doubt, his late start is a big factor in current levels of playing time for the reasons pointed out. He is very talented.