While it got to close for comfort, we never trailed once in today's game...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorKP, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,861
    In some cases 'they' might even confuse luck with skill...
  2. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +619
    Gators are 15-2 in games decided by single digits.....that doesn't seem like luck to me.
  3. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    15-0, actually. We were not at full strength in the two losses. :cool:
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  4. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I thought it was a fitting end to the game, we won on defense. Remember the refs had three of our players with four fouls and the gators only got to the one and ones in the last minute! think this was the case yesterday? sometimes you have to win ugly due to the circumstances of the moment. we did that. Tenn and UK played their asses off not to get swept out by Florida for the year and for getting a good seed for the tournament, playing for their lives. We fought the good fight, we were not lucky.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    No disputing that. But there was some "misfortune" involved here too, including an absolute lack of calls on several of those live ball turnovers (Prather has a tattoo of Cauley-Stein's elbow permanently engraved on his chest and shooting arm), as well as a Kentucky's ability to get fouls on us in the lane that had not been called on us the better part of the year. Similarly, we had to play Prather at the four for some stretches because of foul trouble to Yeguete and DFS combined with Young's own fatigue. We had some rather disadvantageous situations arise during that last ten minutes. Seems like we should be crediting the kids for fighting through it and, as the OP stated it, never actually losing the lead.

Sure. Donovan said as much in the postgame. But I disagree with the way you substantiate it. For instance, UK is the best offensive rebounding team in the nation, so it shouldn't surprise you that they were able to get an offensive rebound in that stretch. At the same time, however, they shot 35% from the floor and only made 18 total buckets for the game. Why would it surprise me that they couldn't make a basket in two halfcourt sets at the of the game when they hadn't been able to execute in the halfcourt the previous 38 minutes? What you might count as luck is that the officials didn't intervene and give them free throws, but everything else held form.

So you thought the Kansas game was better? We were up by 11 at home, not playing on a neutral floor in front of a very partial audience against a team we had already beaten twice that was motivated as you will get. Against Kansas, we repeatedly missed our ball screen coverages and we also didn't have to battle uphill against poor officiating. Or what about losing an eight point lead against FSU with three minutes to play on our home floor? Those were pretty poor finishes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LabraGator

LabraGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    It's tough to keep up the contesting defense with 3 players sitting on on 4 fouls and another with 3 coming down the stretch.
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    with all the foul trouble, would have thought Chris Walker would have played more than 3 minutes
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. GatorKP

GatorKP Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    I saw that in the box score and thought it was a misprint and that it meant to say 13. instead of 3. I guess not. Chris did well while he was in. 5 pts from him were big!
  9. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    The kansas game WAS better, but not by much. Wiggins just went off. You could make an argument for the FSU game being worse, since it was at home.

I just don't see why you are defending this so strongly. I never said the team didn't play hard. For the first 30 minutes Florida looked unbeatable. Clearly they were playing hard, and ultimately, that's why they were able to hang on. But on the flip side of what you are saying, you have to admit, that UF did not close that game out well and they were in a position to lose that game, yes because of the refs to a degree, you can't discount that, but because they didn't execute on offense. They left a window open for UK to win, and UK missed it, and even if you credit holding on almost entirely to Florida's skill and preparation, you have to at least admit that UF had some luck on their side, to not let that one slip away.
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I think that you're being a bit hard on Slayer here. He said that this wasn't their best 10 minutes of basketball. Is that really a statement with which you disagree? Usually, Florida puts distance between themselves and the other team in the final 10 minutes of the game. This time they didn't. I don't think that there is anything wrong with pointing that out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Florida usually looks very much in control at the end of games, so I'd agree that it probably isn't luck. That said, the 15-2 stat doesn't necessarily provide evidence of that, since one could certainly come up heads 15 times out of 17 coin flips.
  12. LabraGator

LabraGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Close. More accurately said that Florida lucked out and it was easily the worst last 10 minutes of the year.
  13. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    He elaborated to say that Florida left the door open for luck, but you are right about the worst last 10 minutes comment. Still, some game had to be our worst last 10 minutes, so I still don't think that he deserved three independent negative ratings from Osiris for the saying that it was the 10-min stretch where we blew 14 points of a 15 point lead.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,737
    I have thought for a long time that Billy's teams tend to get fatigued. I have also thought that some of the better coaches anticipate this in game planning.
    We may have pressed our way into near defeat yesterday, we were definitely flat footed the last 10 minutes. Pat Young was gassed.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,423
    Florida didn't luck out. We could have had a bigger lead if we hit free throws. We definitely would have had a bigger lead, and a few UK players with foul trouble if the game was called straight in the second half. Prather was hammered every time he got near the rim, with no calls. DFS fouled a couple of times fighting for position but also got called when he got fouled.

Even if they just call the flagrant towards the end when Scottie was tackled into the ref, that's two free throws (with less pressure than the one and one) and possession.

We had very good looks on a few threes that went half way down and came out in that second half.

The "luck" went against us. And we still won with great defense when we needed it at the end. We forced their bad possession and that was our guys beating UK players to the ball... same thing we've been doing all year. Nothing lucky about it.
  16. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    No, I made a tongue in cheek comment not even directed towards him in particular, but generally towards the many threads lately involving posters who never post on NBN/FCP for 23 weeks out of the year, then make airheaded comments selling our players short and demonstrating very little knowledge or support of our team. I did so after getting off the phone hearing comments from Mike Frazier, who me and TD are going up to see this week so TD can work with the team at practice to get Mike more open looks (invited by Billy, as he has done many times this season). There were several threads this weekend on various Gator boards by posters were bashing Billy for missing on recruits from FL high schools, which were obviously prompted by their recent reviews of recruiting rankings (anyone who has ventured to our football recruiting forum knows the meltdowns frequently occurring there over "rankings") and watching tourney games with players from FL....players that have been talked about on here for ages. You guys who post here regularly know I bring a lot of info to this board and tell you directly what a lot of these players say candidly after games. Hearing our own "fans" (many of whom are fans for 3 weeks a year) turn into boo birds and make sarcastic comments about a sport and team they know little about except what they read and saw at the end of last season pisses me off for these kids and the coaches, so admittedly it makes me a little bit reactive. In response to my post in which I winked, he childishly gave me a dislike (negative rating), so I likewise childishly responded. A moment of weakness...but I am proud of our boys, and was gushing with pride having just heard from one who I have watched grow behind the scenes.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    Kentucky bigs pushed him around pretty easily, forget his high school ranking, at this stage he is our 9th man
  18. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Hey Osiris, I know you and definitely never meant to suggest that you aren't a valued poster. And I can't say whether or not Slayer has been posting here all season, but I just don't think that he meant to demean our players or our coach at all with his comments on this thread. I know that these people exist, and I don't like them anymore than you do (I still think that our board severely undervalues last year's team due to the "end of season" phenomenon). However, I think that Slayer was an innocent here. It's a Gator board, so it can be tough to come on here sometimes and point out some of our flaws (even if done respectfully). Also, I apologize if I got wrong the order of who negatively repped who first.
  19. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    I do like how my one negative rating, which I feel was deserved, on a comment that was obviously sarcastic and sanctimonious, lead you to give me three of them, on posts that were all BBall related, but whatever. (water under the bridge now).

Just FYI, I've watched every game this year except 4 of them, and just because I don't typically start posting in NBN until January just means that I like to get a feel for the team before I start discussing them with fellow gator fans. Also, there aren't always a ton of threads that interest me early in the season, and I don't like to post just to post.

In regards to the actual BBall discussion, UF showed a lot of tenacity just to hang on, with how badly things were going for them, but IMO, in sports, when things aren't going your way, sometimes you need a little bit of "luck" to get you over the hump. UF didn't have that all the time last year, but it seems to follow them around this year most of the time (Uconn big exception). Whether you want to credit that "luck" entirely to their hard work, tenacity, and defense, is, I think, an individual preference. I like to believe it's a combination of many factors, and that although UF 100% deserves the win and I take nothing away from that (I ran around my house just like Scottie ran around the court), they are a bit fortunate that they slid out of their with the victory, given how things went in the last few minutes (missed fts, missed calls by officials, turnovers, only 7 points, etc.)

If that bothers some of you I'm sorry. I think it is something very relevant to discuss on a BBall forum right before the team starts playing the most high pressure games of the season.

Cheers.
  20. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    They did not. He played well against UK in the last two matchups. He's very active on D. The reason he didn't play at the end is all about the trust factor. Although Chris is doing an amazing job absorbing everything we do in practice (a lot of compliments from his teammates and coaches about how well he's doing and how smart he is as a basketball player given how little he was taught before getting here), the fact is he didn't start practicing with an upperclassmen laden team until well into the season when the team was gelled, and so understandably, Chris still doesn't know all of the offensive sets and defensive rotations, and is at risk of making a bad pass, not recognizing the appropriate pass off a ball screen, not rotating to the right position in our zone, and not making the right switch defensively on a screen. In the second half of a game like that, Billy is not going to play him and risk a turnover leading to a transition basket or a missed rotation leading to an easy basket in the half court or worse, causing a starter in foul trouble to pick up another by having to over compensate for a missed rotation.

The fact that he plays this much, even playing at all, given the above stated disadvantages is a testament to what a good ball player he is and shows that Billy has a lot of respect for his natural talent & athleticism, and what a good job he's doing in practice, proving he's capable of doing what he's being coached to do and being an asset. Many less capable and less talented, physically gifted players would not get a single minute of PT given the above circumstancess.