Which Foods are Better for You ?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    I hear this all the time and it's the headline on Yahoo News right now. Look, there is no question that some foods contain more essential nutrients and vitamins then other foods. But nobody ever stops to wonder, "Gee, how many essential nutrients and vitamins do we really need ?"

Think about it, we are living in an era which appears to be unique in human history. That is, food is abundant for us. And not only that, owing to a host of technological breakthroughs in human history (yes, including preservatives), we now enjoy a wider variety of foods than ever before.

So, did less food and less variety mean that our ancestors were less healthy than we are today ? Do we need to cram as many nutrients and vitamins as we can to enjoy optimum health ? And doesn't that lead to overeating ?

Recently I read that the average-sized woman can get all her RDA's of carbs, proteins and fats on 800 calories a day. And I would add that most of the processed foods we eat are heavily fortified with vitamins.
  2. gator10010

gator10010 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Dream, haven't you heard process foods are the devil?

Ok, I'm listening, if it is not the food we eat then explain the obesity problem in America? I guess you are arguing that it is as simple as Americans are lazy and need to move more?

If so how do we get overweight individuals to move more?
  3. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    Salt in our foods a causing many problems,but they are like cigarettes nothing will be done about it.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    It is the AMOUNT of food we eat that is causing the obesity problem. Based on studies I've seen, 400 more calories per day than in 1980, but with no increase in activity.

Therefore, from my vantage point, movement is not the central problem. So, the way I am personally addressing the problem is on the eating end. I tell my clients to divide and conquer. I tell them to pretend that exercise doesn't burn calories.

But since Americans could afford to get more movement, no doubt, my approach is not to accomplish that by pointing first to something called 'exercise.' First, I troubleshoot with them on ways they can integrate general activity into their busy schedules. Second, I might take a small bite by encouraging a bit of strength training, however basic.

In my experience, I say 'fitness trainer' and people think 'huffing and puffing' and 'going for the burn' and they run the other way. I'm on a one-man mission to wean Americans off that somewhat artificial approach to increasing movement.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    In his Defense Of Food, author Michael Pollan argues that Americans have become so obsessive about nutrition that many of them have come to view food as the mere delivery vehicle for particular nutrients. The gist of the book is to simply enjoy food, albeit smaller amounts of it.

Now, he emphasizes plant-based. I don't have a problem with fruits and veggies. But most people I work with are already getting them.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    Salt consumption, like sugar consumption, is actually down these days. Yet, obesity has skyrocketed.
  7. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Personally, I feel that the rise in obesity is directly tied to our declining ability to think critically for ourselves.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    Flabby minds, flabby bodies ?
  9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,257
    Actually, salt has been reduced in many of the 'middle-of-the-store' foods, and it's been reduced by the manufacturers without any real consumer demand for reductions.

It's theorized that big-food is trying to stay ahead of big-gov and keep regs at bay.

They use many tricks to keep the salt taste, but can only go so far as salt keeps food safe, helps preserve it, and creates required texture in certain foods.

There's still too much, but (very surprisingly) big-food IS doing something.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    And again I take the opportunity to remind that we need to grow up and stop blaming Big Food for our ills. Yes, I know that's easier than actually taking responsibility for one's health. And I'm all-in with easy. :wink:
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,257
    The only people I blame for obesity are the obese people that put too much food in their mouths.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    You're preaching to the choir now. But there is a new hitch on the horizon. There are trainers out there - and some fairly well-respected trainers at that - who are beginning to concoct all sorts of excuses for obese people. They are insisting, among other things, that obese people eat TOO LITTLE. :whoa:
  13. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Absolutely.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that an apple is healthier than a snickers bar. But a protein bar? Now that's healthy, and much better than the snickers. !?!? Except it's not. We have been TOLD it's healthy and flashed a keyword.

That mentality is ALL over the place. Some of the girls my wife works with are large. They were giving her a hard time one day because she passed on getting Zaxby's and was eating her yogurt parfait she made at home (and had calculated for). One of the girls literally said that she was eating good and healthy because she has a salad.... It was a fried chicken salad, with croutons, 2 packets of ranch dressing. Toss in the 44 ounces of soda (not diet) we estimated her salad was upwards of 1500 calories...but she can't figure out why she isn't losing weight. But, hey, she didn't get a chicken sandwich and fries, and salad is healthy! DUMB.

Ironically, the chicken sandwich and fries would have been less calories.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    Talk about timing, front page news on Yahoo is "Unhealthiest Fast Foods."

Basically, you have to read the fine print. They judge healthy and unhealthy based on calorie content.
  15. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Actually, that reminds me of another gripe.

My son and I ate at Arby's the other day. He loves the roast beef sandwiches. We both also like root beer, and they had it in their self-serve fountain. So, I ordered our sandwiches (no fries), and decided we were going to split a drink. He likes the taste of soda, but doesn't really drink a lot of it. We don't keep it around the house and view it as a treat only.

In my laziness, I ordered a medium. It was self-serve so I could have gotten a small and just gone up there as needed (a bit of extra walking, but that helps, right?). But figured with 2 of us, I didn't feel like potentially getting up after every two sips (exaggerating).

I was expecting a 20 oz cup, but out comes the 32 ounce cup. For a medium. COMPLETELY unnecessary. It's a self-serve unlimited refill station. Have we really gotten to that point... where once we start eating, we can't be bothered enough to get up and move to get more drink? It is necessary to get FAR MORE than enough drink beforehand to eliminate all movement that is not associated with shoveling in food? SHEESH.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    Well, this is what I have in mind when I tell people that there is little incentive to lose weight in America. Fat is the New Normal and both industry and institutions have accommodated themselves to both our gluttony and our sloth.
  17. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I remember my last trip to California, the guys I was working with there wanted to go to Panera Bread. In looking at the menu, the turkey sandwich I had was something like 750 calories. But it's "fancy" and disguised like "health food".

Then I started to think.. what if I really wanted a burger and fries.. and drove past McDonalds to go here because "this is a healthier decision"? That's good right, I can expect to lose weight because of that! Except a quarter pounder with cheese and a small fry is .... 740 calories....
  18. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Just don't forget stupidity. We get told by advertisers selling a product that the product is healthy, and we buy it.

What is worse is "catch phrases"... I bet that somewhere a company that makes a corn cereal shows an "increase in sales" even if ever so slight because the advertise "gluten free" on it and put it there as if they are doing something different to make it more healthy.

First off.. they are selling into the gluten hype, which may or may not exist..

Second off... No freaking kidding CORN is gluten free. It is NOT a wheat product (in terms of the gluten that bothers people with celiac disease/gluten sensitivity)
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +845
    I'm guessing that advertisers are betting on stupidity. I'll bet that's why advertising works.

I was in Subway, not too long ago, and a young female customer asked the sandwich maker if vinegar had a lot of calories.
  20. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Hahaha.

Aahh.. vinegar. I happen to like it, and used it as a GREAT secret weapon. Lots of flavor, little/no impact.
    • Like Like x 1