Where do you stand vis a vis the current staff

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Sep 9, 2013.

?

What grade do you give?

1. A

23 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. B

81 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. C

53 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. D

28 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. E

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    this is a message board not a commitee to decide weather or not Muschamp goes.
    And if it was i would suggest he not be gone.
    I, like many others, are discussing UF football which includes the accomplishments of the team and coaches.
    THat said he also has the same record of Zook at this point.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,024
    He inherited a complete train wreck on offense. Definitely some stellar defensive players though.

And his teams reflect that so far.
  3. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    Sorry Oak but you are in the wrong thread. The "rational and objective" thread is 4 doors down.:grin:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    It has been 4 years since Florida played in an SEC championship game. At 11-1 is is really hard to imagine we were unable to play last year. Would most people prefer more loses and a trip to Atlanta? I think I would. Not saying I want more loses, just that I want success. No Atlanta and a loss to Louisville equals a very anticlimactic failure of a season. Amazing that we achieved so much and yet did not achieve anything.
  5. GATORAJE

GATORAJE Member

Ratings Received:
    +7

Re,

I for one, have NEVER been a Will Muschamp fan, and was NOT thrilled of the hire from the get go. However, that having been said, and despite the recent repeated disappointments of losing a number of games that were very winnable, had we not made so many mistakes (see UGA last year, Sugar Bowl, and now Miami), you can't just fire a coach that just had an 11-2 season, and is 1-1 right now. If we did that, in wake of a disappointing loss, we would not get another top flight coach in here for at least 15-20 years. Who the hell would want to put up with those sort of expectations? Look, I live in New Orleans, and I can tell you, you ought to hear the venom directed at Les Miles, after ANY loss at LSU. Already, despite the success he has had there, some of the Tiger faithful that I know want to run him out of town. Personally, I would like to see it happen, and have LSU deal with that stigma, and get stuck with Gerry Dinardos for the next decade or so, but another story for another day. Now, if we fall to say 7-6 this year, and lose in similar fashion to UGA or FSU (or a number of others), he will definitely get one more year, but the seat will be very warmed up, and nothing short of at least winning the SEC-East would save his job. Let's hope that the 7-6 does NOT happen, and they all learn from mistakes this past week.

Just my $0.02 worth :tongue:
  6. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Like last years performance against BG and LL, the loss to Miami is a harbinger of troubles down the road. It does not bode well. Against teams that are far better than Miami, such as LSU, it looks like we will have no chance. The apologists and posters in denial about our deficiencies will have a much harder time trying to rationalize our performance and outcomes later in the season if losses start to mount. The current UF philosophy is based on the defense playing perfectly in every game. I see that as a huge issue that will keep us from beating the best teams, will keep us out of championship games, and will cost us bowl games.
  7. indygator

indygator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I have watched many coaches and suffered a few at UF (Dickey/Zook). CWM is a winner and it would be a shame if he is not given the time to show that here. I agree with OBOB, the offense will be pretty darn good this year.
  8. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    If we go 0-3 vs UGA that seat will be red hot.
  9. GATORAJE

GATORAJE Member

Ratings Received:
    +7

No doubt about that, Pasco, the temperature of the sun's surface will be a Winter's Breeze compared to that hot seat, should that happen !!!! :wink:
  10. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    It also took not just a great defense to bail us out last year, but one of the best kickers in the nation and one of the best punters. So special trams and the defense need to be top notch in order to win with the current system. That is hard to reproduce every year, and we still did not play in Atlanta and still lost a bowl game to a team regarded as much lower caliber.
  11. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    I mis-typed. Meant to say I would Not suggest he be gone.
  12. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    Muschamp is probably at a C right now for me. Our defense is great, but it is frustrating to have a frustrating offense for 4 years in a row( I know one of those years is not on him) when we have had so many well oiled machines in our offensive history. The whole "playing not to lose" on offense is so countercultural to what we are used to that it probably starts CWM out on a challenging curve in many of our minds.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    That one added word changed my opinion of your post considerably!!! :joecool:
  14. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    Will's two OC hires led me to question whatever he does. Kerwin was available, a Gator through and through, good OC the players would love, also a Gator Walk-on to a Gator legend. You would have thought that this would have been his man, but no. So with an offense that is still in chaos starting his third year here has me thinking, who is this man and can we ever win the SEC with him. I don't want to hear he doesn't have his players yet. Other coaches have tougher jobs than him. I don't know who led him to Brent Pease or even Charley Weis, its water over the Dam.

Def. Coaches now love playing the Gators, we are a remedy for all that ails them. Who's fault is this. I didn't pick the OC, the QB, or calls plays Saturday that didn't make sense. Until the Gators get a better offense that teams are scared of, then we will struggle with every team we play. This is a quandry because Will and offense don't go together but his tenure will be determined by this. Either he lets go of any calls on the offense or we will suffer another Coach that really doesn't know how to coach. Doug Dickey, Ron Zook, Gary Darnell, were great guys that meant well, but didn't know how to get it done, Will, based on this last game is warming a seat in this illustrious Line-up. This year we have no choice but to hope he can let others run the offense and it gets better. Waiting for next year is not an option for me, but if our alumni and AD feel this is the right thing to do, then we will have to either find other things to do on Saturday because this is like getting a loan. IF you have bad credit, you need to repair your credit, most people say they will, but the reality is most don't. People rarely change. So, here we are with a team at a turning point, I hope Will understands history.

I wonder what Kerwin thought as he watched the game on Saturday?

I think one option was: in over his head as a D-1 coach at a top ten football program. I guess I fall into to this category, Will prove me wrong. I hate watching learn as you go Coaching. You defensive play calling is very good, so was Bill Arnsberger's when he was here, he didn't win the SEC either. So come out in the press, such up your ego and tell everybody, this offense will live or die with BP from here on out, that you will not meddle in the play calling and if Brent can't get it done, you will deal with it.
  15. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,480
    bullish, if Kerwin was/is such a hot commodity, why hasn't he gone to any D1 schools? Saban and Muschamp both wanted Pease, that's proof enough for me that he's the man for the job. I think Muschamp needs to give FULL reign of the controls to Pease, and let him do whatever he wants. What's the worse that could happen? I mean, we're dead last in scoring in the SEC. That being said, 5 TOs is not on Pease. It's on the players. The next 3 weeks will tell us all we need to know about the future of this team this season.
  16. gatorbrah

gatorbrah New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I'm starting to wonder if Saban jedi mind-tricked us with that one. Maybe he wanted the Washington OC Nussmeier all along and feigned interest in Pease to get his Padawan Muschamp off the trail.
  17. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    That honestly wouldn't surprise me. How Stupid would Muschamp look if he got fooled that badily by Saban.
  18. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    Well, you guys and Fatboy Lorenzen weren't fooled.
  19. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Spurrier won 6 SEC championships and played for 8 with UF, as well as playing for a national championship twice with one victory . Most people do not remember the seasons records, they remember the significance of the season: Championships. When we think of the Meyer years we remember the national championships and the SEC championships. Muschamp has failed to deliver us to championship games and laid a major egg in last years bowl game. These are the lasting memories. The non-productive offense may lead to victories, but not championships. The deficiencies of the offense have been present for years now and not only are they still there, but they are downplayed and ignored by the coaches. Our offense could function enough to get us to atlanta and beyond if we had outrageous backs like Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Yeldon. But we dont have those backs. And we dont have tight ends that are producing. And our receivers are either underutilized or under coached. Without a viable passing attack it is too easy for defenses to force us into limiting our play calls. And we still are committing penalties and turnovers that are killing us. With Urban Meyer we had excessive penalties, but our offense was so explosive that we could deal with third and 20. If Driskill has been retained due to his running ability, then lets use it and play with a spread offense, which at least gives him an easier field to run against.
  20. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Given our caliber of defense, if we had the offense of Georgia, Clemson, Oregon, or Ohio State would we be consistently playing for (and winning) national championships? I think so. It happened in 2006, 2008, and we came close in 2009.
    Alabama is closer to our current philosophy, but they also have a viable throwing game and unGodly running backs (and for the past few years they have had 2-3 at a time), and an outstanding offensive line. We do not have the full formula, and probably never will. Maybe Grier will get us closer to that look in a few years.