Where do you stand vis a vis the current staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Sep 9, 2013.

?

What grade do you give?

1. A

23 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. B

81 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. C

53 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. D

28 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. E

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Ok, I gave a B because other than he panics when down early by 7 or more points , I think he is a good coach and makes the MOST OF THE TALENT WE HAVE.......
    That's right. We are not Bama, LSU, Clemson, UGA, or FSU.....our players actually have to go to class and make grade !!!! Imagine that ??? Do you really wonder why Meyer left here and his recruiting fell off toward the end ??? He was told by UF president that we couldn't take anymore PH's, AH's and Janoris Jenkins....Starting to make sense now ???

Not sure if any of you follow recruiting, but since Champ has taken over there have been probably 25-30 studs who wanted to come here but were told that "yes, you really do have to go to class". Not to mention the others who bailed because they knew they couldn't cut it grade wise !!! Funny story about a certain FSUX WR who wanted to come to UF AFTER UM told him they had concerns about grades.....he was so dumb he exhausted his HS eligibility because he was almost 20 years old before his senior year in HS....he wanted to come here after that....ARE YOU STARTING TO GET MY DRIFT NOW ?? Champ is fighting the rest of the CFB world, other than the Stanford's, Vandy's Northwesterns and such with one hand tied behind his back....
  2. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Your post is about as close to perfection as one could be. Reps +1000

By the way, you and I are on similar footing in a way. I'm just slightly older than you, and grew up as die hard a Gator fan as one could be. Still am with a different perspective than I used to have, and certainly different than most 'fans' would have. I am a sales rep in sports apparel---been doing this for nearly 20 years now. Traveling the states of Georgia, Alabama, and Florida--selling stuff to fan shops, bookstores, dept stores, and depending on which lines I rep...sell directly to the college teams themselves. And for awhile--some pro teams also.(You can throw those out of the discussion because after being intimately involved with MLB, NBA, NHL, and NFL in the south--I detest pro sports with a passion. Another story there however)

Back to the point. In working the shops across the southeast and being on campuses regularly in Gainesville, Tally, Athens, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Atlanta, Troy, Valdosta, Statesboro, etc...the one thing which is overwhelmingly obvious is exactly what you stated. It is just a game. Sure, we all...as fans...take it seriously, and want to win every game. We also want to kick the pants off our hated rivals more than anything. But at the end of the day, it is still...just a game. And being that is a game--I view it all now in a different light--regardless which school a fan is supporting. The coaches are there to help bring these boys up and mold them while playing...their GAME. These kids are out on the field getting slobberknockered physically every week, and when they don't perform up to snuff sometimes(which they ALL have days like that)---those same kids have to be mentally slobberknockered oftentimes by many of their school's "fans". These kids don't take it to the same degree that most fans do--losing sleep, building a resentment and fire of anger and stress which can translate to nothing good most times. The kids feel badly they lost or made mistakes, but they shrug it off and go back to school--study(we hope), learn, practice, and then next weekend--go do it again with the risk still rising over them that they will be lambasted once again if they make mistakes. Criticism is one thing--what we've seen and heard over the past couple of years goes overboard in many ways when belittling the players to which some 'fans' do. Yet those kids just keep going on with their lives. Kudos to them for that maturity to do so.

While my blood still runs orange and blue, and while I certainly want us to win--I also realize that everyone out there needs to understand the coaches are probably more concerned than ANY fan is out there--their livelihoods and families well being depend on the performance of 18-19-20 year old kids playing...a game...and playing it perfectly. For that matter, "I" make my living dependent on how those same 18-20 yr old kids play ball. Teams win--products sell. Teams don't win--sales drop off and I lose money. The customers I sell to loses money. It goes on and on so there are a lot of repercussions which the average fan doesn't have a clue about. Back to the coaches--for all the criticism of the coaching staff that goes on when a team is not getting it done, don't think for one minute that THEY(coaches) are just taking losses with a grain of salt. They have a lot riding on these games--much, MUCH more than being entertained or just liking what they see on the field, whereas that is where the fans expectations are more focused. Those coaches have so much on their plates, the average fan simply can NOT imagine. I've seen it up close and firsthand watching coaches scattered across the landscape who lose sleep and are focusing on what THEY KNOW to try to improve. And you can bank on it--they know so much more than what fans know, it goes beyond laughable when fans always have all the answers. Truth be told--the fans do not have a clue what they are saying half the time. I'm just as guilty too...."why in the world did we go for 2 in that situation?"..."why is it a dive play every friggin 2nd down--it never works"...etc. Yet, in afterthought--when all the details are in, THEN it makes sense why the coach went for 2...why the dive was called, etc. Things which coaches know and see, that none of the rest of us do.

Having said ALL THAT(sorry, I got caught up in it)...I try not to bash coaches as much as I used to. I try to be more patient and look it more objectively than I used to. I try to understand that those coaches and players don't owe ME a damn thing. They are doing what the vast majority of 'fans' have never done, nor will ever do--suit up for the university and take the field to play a game, knowing that they are being scrutinized every play and will likely catch the wrath of all the experts sitting on Row XXX, Seat XX, or sitting at home in front of the 60" LCD. Even when they do what they are supposed to do--if it isn't executed just right, it may not quite work the way it was drawn up so therefore--the kid screwed up. Sorry, I just view it much more relaxed now than I used to and am thankful for those kids to be out there playing for us...win or lose. AND thankful we have coaches willing to take the scrutiny and bullchit they must take from the fans as well. While the coaches are paid and paid well to 'coach'...they also are normally working with a plan which 99% of the fans do't have a clue about, nor would they understand even if explained to them

With that being said--I can't grade out the 'regime' now based on what we saw Saturday or Sugar Bowl or last year. There is always a big picture which takes time to develop and see--and truthfully, NONE of us in here know how that is coming along. When the dust settles and enough time has passed--then it can be time to truly grade them out. For now--I'm gonna sit this one out.

I know I'm going to get flamed for length and rambling, but uflawyer's post was perfect in painting the picture. I just added.

Ok..flame away.
  3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    That was a TERRIBLE POST!!!...........

............to waste on people who will flame it! :wave:
  4. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Great points.

But one thing stands out to me . . . "as little as 5 years ago"

Don't think I need to point out what was going on then.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Um, and yet his opinion matched up with those people. And they were recruited by all of the big schools. So you're agreeing it isn't a matter of recruiting offensively. Thanks.
  6. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    When you run the ball 60% of the time the running backs and line are much more important than you give them credit for.
  7. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    Controlling the TOP doesn't matter if we are not even putting points up.
  8. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    No, as usual, you are agreeing with yourself.
  9. keypox

keypox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    wow I disagree with almost all that you said...

Maybe 10 teams that have any chance in winning national championship.

"Really Though, Be Ranked In The Top 10 Four times in 14 years has the national champ come from outside the preseason Top 10. In addition to Auburn, Oklahoma in 2000 was ranked 19th, LSU in 2003 was ranked 15th and Ohio State was ranked 13th. Only three additional teams since 1984, Notre Dame in 1988 (13th) and Michigan in 1997 (14th) and Georgia Tech in 1990 (UR), have won the national title starting outside of the top 10. And Tech didn’t claim the AP title in 1990. - See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-national-champions-do-preseason-rankings-matter#sthash.NnOGalfL.dpuf"

The difference between 1 and 20th QB, RB, OL or any position is HUGE of course there are exceptions...

Coaches do make the team. But the most important part is recruiting and talent evaluation, team evaluation and chemistry.

Final paragraph I agree.

I hate this loss, but a couple fixes and we are a top team. Tho how good is Miami...

B+
  10. southernmost

southernmost Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Defense is A+++ WOULD SHOP AGAIN

Offense is F- SEE ME AFTER CLASS, YOUNG MAN!!!

So give Will a C.
  11. uflawyer

uflawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +174

The top ten usually changes every week. In the beginning of the season there are usually about 20 teams that have a legitimate shot if all balls bounce their way. The difference between 1-20 in any position is not huge. First, who ranks the players? Second, go look at an nfl roster and tell me why guys from small schools are crappy schools are playing and players like Tim Tebow is not. Player development in college is much more significant than High School ranking. Some player peak at 18, others at 21.
  12. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Even funnier they considered Jeff a pro style QB :)
  13. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    we were 11-2 last year. That deserves a B+ despite the two bad losses to UM and Louisville.
  14. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
  15. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    C-. The one regular season loss last year took us out of the SEC championship game. The second loss was humiliating. This third loss was given by us to Miami (similar to Georgia and Louisville) and was entirely avoidable, and it was a loss to MIAMI. We also lost to Georgia the year before.
  16. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Too many significant losses. They diminish the victories. Too many wins that seem like luck and could have easily been losses (louisiana layfayette for example). It was disturbing to see Muschamp sweating on the sidelines for most of the game and sprinting off the field like someone who just walked away from a horrific car collision, grateful to be alive but not sure how or why.
  17. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,773
  18. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +314
    if you look at the number of teams who have won the NC in the last 30 years you will see it doesn't support that number of teams able to win the NC
  19. uflawyer

uflawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Any team that goes undefeated has a chance to play for, and win, a national championship. "A chance" does not mean they have the same chance as Alabama from a statistical standpoint, but Alabama could lose 2 or 3 games if the ball bounces the wrong way.
  20. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    So he's no Nick Saban, in other words?