When do you think we should lose in the SEC Tourney?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Setsuna00, Feb 22, 2014.

1. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +603
    Ahh come on these are kids! They can play two games in one day if needed!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    One of the things I have come to loathe about college hoops is that it makes us believe only March matters. We are on the way to our third league title in four years, we have a very reasonable shot at 18-0 league schedule, and we will be the odds on favorite to win the league tournament. An extra day of rest will do us precious little when it comes to the second week of the tournament. There are no guarantees in March. Win what you can when you can and enjoy every last second of it.

Plus, we don't have a coach like Kentucky's who belittles his conference and fellow conference teams as little more than warmups for the NCAA tournament.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    During the regular season, absolutely. The mere fact there is a streak going, doesn't mean the team is 'due' for a loss.

The only exception is the SECT, and the possibility of going back-to-back-to-back. That could take alot out of them. Especially PY who seems to be going through some knee things that are "wear and tear" related (i.e. that only rest can really heal). I doubt he would sit, and I doubt Donovan would sit him. So a loss MIGHT be beneficial to being 100% for the NCAA tournament since playing would not be an option.

With UF wrapping up a regular season championship, and possibly even a #1 seed soon - the SECT might mean less than it normally does. It's not like UF has a trophy case full of SEC tournaments, and it's been awhile since we've gotten one, so I'm not dismissing it. I'm just saying, that is one example where avoiding the back-to-back-to-back could help in the big picture.
  4. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Is it really just college basketball?
    -When a MLB team wraps up the division, pitchers (and some position players) often get extra rest before the playoffs.
    -In college baseball, haven't we recently been playing mid-week series against FSU that almost never features the #1 or #2 pitchers on either team?
    -We've seen guys sit out in the NBA, not just heading into the playoffs but randomly even in the middle of the season (albeit not always as blatantly as the Spurs/Heat situation)
    -In the NFL we've seen players sit out the last week or two of the regular season once the seeding is locked in.

The only differences is college basketball, has the regular season, then a conference tournament in the middle, (that forces back-to-back-to-back - and in some cases 4 or 5 straight games to win), then the real NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP tournament. So there are actually two separate, and unrelated post-seasons.

I'm not against conference tournaments. They are part of March madness, and there are genuinely great moments generated from them. Sometimes it's your last hope just to reach the tournament - or to make a final push at a better seed. However when you already wrapped a #1 seed - as UF potentially could. It's easy to understand how it's possible to look ahead to the NCAAT, with the grueling schedule it's also understanding to look at it and say "well, it's not such a bad thing to get bounced early".

Of course both of UF NCAA Tournament Championships also included SEC Tournament Championship trophies. Plus UF had numerous years getting bounced early from BOTH tournaments. So there are multiple sides to that argument.
  5. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Tell that to Patrick Young's knees. ;)
  6. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    You play... to win... the game! Hello?!?!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Tell it to Patric! I'm pretty sure that given the chance he would rather play...and win....and play...and win. I don't think anyone on this team is looking ahead.
  8. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,265
    Is this a serious question? How about we lose April 8th.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    Not sure what the comparison to other sports proves. MLB has 162 regular season games and regularly sits players throughout the year. Collegiate baseball also dwarfs the college hoops season in the number of games. The NFL is the most violent game in sports and very few ever clinch seeding early, let alone sit players when they do.

At any rate, the point is that we sometimes treat things like going undefeated at home, going undefeated in the league, winning the league, and winning the league tournament as if they were largely irrelevant compared to a deep run in the tournament, let alone the ever elusive nati0nal title. That's why all offseason we repeatedly heard the mantra, "I want a Final Four--I am tired of Elite Eights" as opposed to "I would love to see this senior class win a third SEC title in four seasons, after only three in the entire history of the program."
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Setsuna00

Setsuna00 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    I was very serious. I've ignored the people blowing things out of proportion, but yeah I want us full health and good to go. The NCAA tourney is no joke and this isn't the 04 class.
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,379
    We must win the SEC Tourney.
    We can rest during the first two rounds of the NCAA Tourney. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,227
    They seem to be worn out physically and mentally. I would gladly trade a loss in the inference tournament for a couple of extra days rest.
  13. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    We haven't won the SECT since 2007 so it would be nice to have that trophy again, but no with a record like ours and the much more important regular season title all but ours, it doesn't matter all that much.
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    My only concern. Would really like to have a blowout or two between now and the next 5 games (4 regular season and the friday SEC tourney matchup) to give those knees a rest and Chris Walker some extended playing time
  15. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    What you are asking is should we lose on sat. We only play two games max. So we are talking about one game saved. Now, if you were on that team would you say that you would rather play to win a championship or get one game off?

I think it is a silly notion. Especially since an NCAA title is so hard to win.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274
    Do you not think at this point, Billy and the staff know how to deal with this?
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +752
    Are we seriously discussing intentionally losing a game in the conference tournament? I officially nomiate this for asinine thread of the year
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +438
    If I had to pick a loss from here on out, I would pick Vandy or LSU, but my gut tells me no loss.
    I just want to see Patric back to healthy by tournament time, and if that means losing one we shouldn't, then so be it.
  19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +645
    I'd be interested in hearing how you define 100%.
  20. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I think threads like this one anger the gods........