What's your view on WM's emotions?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,194
    his socks go past his knee caps..if i wore them like that I'd probably have screaming fits too that bordered on tourrettes...now that, that's out of the way we now can proceed.
  2. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    I think his ref rage has cost us games. It's the only real criticism I have of the man. Just not smart. You can't treat refs like a POS and expect them to call a balanced game. He started off on the wrong foot and will likely suffer for it for years. He's tried to tone it down but the damage is done.

Everything else I'm pretty optimistic about.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,756
    His "ref rage" hasn't helped, but we're getting the same biased treatment we've always gotten from SEC refs. No matter who the coach is, we're the most penalized team in the SEC.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. ACmann

ACmann Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +168
    If he were more like whatever you all want,you would change your mind and cuss him for that.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  5. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Great teachers now how to get the best from their students. People learn better when a teacher is constructive. WM acts like a hot headed child and I likedwould tune him out. Speak to me like adult and just because something is normalized does not make it ok.
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Boring x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  6. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Moratorium on NFL teams hiring college coaches since Carroll?
    Jim Harbaugh, Greg Schiano, Chip Kelly . . . don't agree

As per Muschamp's outbursts, if he seemed like a smarter man, I'd be less concerned.
  7. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    So a coach should go the other way to counter.
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,756
    Couldn't hurt to try.

Don't think it will make much difference though. We get the same chit every year regardless of who coaches or who's playing.

Amazing that SOS can now coach teams that are generally among the least penalized in the league, but was always among the most penalized while at Florida.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    This isn't class...
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  10. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    He does have a very large cranial orb! Thanks for pointing out error. It does put a twist on things.
  11. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,121
    On a funny note, I found myself often in a wm rage watching our offense. You should have seen my expressions.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  12. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Whose face did you spit in?
  13. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    It doesn't just apply to class. It applies to all areas of life.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +194
    CitRain, I don't mean this to be rude, but did you ever play ball? Ever stand in a room talking with your D before a game and punch a mirror or throw a chair at a wall bc you got so riled up? Granted, if I had anyone in real life, now or when I was younger, yell at me we'd have a big problem. You'd be completely right in that instance. However, when you put pads on you're not yourself anymore. If I ever had a coach 'Tony Dungy' me when I played I don't think I'd even respond to that person. The coaches that yelled in my face didn't bother me bc they weren't any angrier than I was at myself, but at least they were on the same level I was. Same thing goes for other players. If you're coming off the field after letting up a td you have the starting O that ignores you bc they're mad and the 3rd string safety that says "don't worry about it...lucky play". Fvck that noise. I'm going to sit on the bench angry with my DC yelling at me until I get another shot bc this isn't tennis!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. jjenkins5

jjenkins5 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +458
    Emotion is one of the ingredients that makes college sports fun. It is required from the fans and the players and expected to be kept somewhat in check by the coaches. I think Billy Donovan does a great job of using his emotion to his advantage.

Will could probably dial it back a bit more on the sidelines - especially with the refs because I think his tirades at them hurt us more than they help us. But, having said that I - and I think most fans - like having a coach who seemingly bleeds orange and blue, too. Will's passion is one of his appealing attributes. He just needs to strike the right balance.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Muschamp needs to rein it in a bit. Kind of boy who cried wolf effect. It loses it's impact and players get numb to it if he goes off multiple times a game. Should be 2-3 times a season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    Team that plays like it is clueless + coach who rages on sideline = embarrassment for fans
    • Winner Winner x 4
  18. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    My concern is eventually you reach the point that you can no longer escalate to match situations appropriately. I was raised in the school of if the head guy is raising his voice it is for something serious and the rest of the world stops until the problem is fixed. I am afraid that Will loses that with his constant outburst. Let the assistant coaches punch chalk boards, (or not because that is pretty silly).
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    I don't have a problem with 'champ getting in players' faces and yelling at them. That's part of being a FB coach. It's like a drill sergeant with soldiers. Dig deep....pull out the best in them....it's football. I'm ok with that; I had coaches break clipboards over my head, swing me around by the facemask, spittle in my face, and curse like sailors...it's part of the terrain. And as a player, you took it, listened, and learned...and dared not fight back, because it was a matter of respecting authority.

...and that's where the problem comes in for me--because 'Champ's worst blow ups, are directed at the REFS., who represent *authority* during the game.

By all means, go over and have some words with the refs; express your opinion about their call; whisper in their ears, what a *flipp'n* buffoon you think they are is for making whatever call made you so irate...but don't make an a$$ of yourself, in the process--and don't disrespect authority, or the process itself, in voicing your dissent (or disrespect yourself, for that matter).

...and by all means, don't hold back after the game; call them out (Spurrier used to do this often)--but making a monkey of yourself, yelling and spittling all over the refs., is childish, immature, juvenile, and quite frankly, embarrassing.

Besides all that, it strikes me as transparently "histrionics," as in, "...check my badass self go off," and "transference" (of blame) as in "...just in case we lose, y'all mark this call right here; this is my excuse for our failure to execute".

JMHO.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  20. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    Well sure...we pay him $3 mil./ year to win football games.

When you fail to do your job, you are scrutinized. When you fail to do a high-profile job, and fail miserably, you are hyper-scrutinzed.

When you do your job, folks tend not to bother with the details about how you do your job. And when you do a difficult job masterfully, folks tend to read 'genius' into the most osbcure minutiae (e.g--Saban now, and Spurrier in the '90's).

That's pretty much how it goes.