What's with D Harris?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by njgator11, Nov 24, 2013.

1. njgator11

njgator11 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I just read on gatorsports that he seems to be basically off the team and coaches are not in constant contact with him. Is this current info and is this true? This would be a real bummer if true...WE could always use the depth up front.
  2. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    First of all, is Harris enrolled at UF and taking classes?
    That is the simple problem that Chris Walker is dealing with.

If Harris is enrolled, isn't it because of a basketball scholarship? And that there are certain obligations on the part of the athlete? Hello, earth calling Harris? Where are you? :laugh:
  3. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I imagine that if he doesn't meet the requirements that Donovan has given him to get back on the team that he will lose his scholarship. Time will tell but it doesn't sound like Donovan is expecting him to make it back on the team. I don't have any idea what he has done or hasn't done to get himself suspended but maybe some of the insiders can shine a light on it.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    Pretty simple. Harris was presumably suspended for the same reason Finney-Smith was, for the same reason Wilbekin was to start last season and for a second time again last spring. It appears that, unlike DFS, Harris made the same mistake again and so received the Wilbekin treatment from last summer: temporary suspension from team, private training and workouts, rigorous disciplinary mandates to regain eligibility. He has not met those obligations and therefore remains off the team, but still on scholarship with the possibility of returning once he in fact meets those obligations in a satisfactory manner. There may be a number of games attached to that or not, but Donovan refuses to say just as he did with the other two.
  5. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Can't imagine why anyone would want to smoke pot more than play basketball for the University of Florida. Immaturity I suppose. Darn shame. Kid is throwing away an opportunity that most of us could only dream about having.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    Most kids don't see things in zero-sum terms. The issue isn't necessarily the transgression, but rather resistance to discipline.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,065
    exactly on target, you either are part of the team, abide by the rules or pay the consequences from the notes on Donovan's most recent comments he is in the dark as to Harris' intentions vis-a-vis returning to the team
  8. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,170
    Wow..pretty scathing words from Billy:
    This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,889
    He is either going to abide by the rules Billy has in place or he won't be playing for UF. That's the only way it should be and I sincerely hope he gets it together. Not only for the good it will do the team but how it will affect his own life as he gets older.
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Doubt it's pot. More likely academics and other responsibilities to the basketball program.
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,889
    I think that's a good take.
  12. hailemfgator

hailemfgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Reason for suspension

Harris and the others were suspended for not going to class. He probably missed again thus drawing Donovan's heat. You are also a teacher of life as a coach and the simple task of taking care of your part of the bargain should not be that hard as a player.
  13. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    This is certainly true for Harris. He was quoted by an assistant coach as having been "AWOL." It would be a pleasant surprise if he ever suits up for theGators.
  14. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Is he still working out by himself with coaches?
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    is there a key date for transferring and being eligible to play this season?

If he can't make it at Florida for academic or other reasons, perhaps a smaller school that has lower academic standards may be a better fit for him
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +669
    I say if he can't get his crap together for the Spring semester, give his scholarship to Kurtz for the semester, he's done everything right and based on everything we hear has earned it more than Harris
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Just a reality check, jumping ahead to 2014-2015 season, the UF basketball team will have exactly ZERO Centers on the team if Harris doesn't get his act together. Please let me know if there are current HS Centers we are recruiting, because I haven't found any.
    Next year we will have to start Chris Walker at the 5, Doe Doe at the 4, True Freshman Robinson at the 3, along with Frazier and Hill in the backcourt. Now, I fee great about the depth at SG and plenty of those guys can run at the 3, but we have 3 total big men, only one of which should be at the 4, not the 5. This is a problem, so we really need Harris to be able to handle his 25+ minutes next season.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    I can't remember the last time we haven't been worried about the next year's team. It ordinarily works out. Believe me, most programs nationally would slit their wrists for a team with Walker, DFS, Hill, and Frazier. I also suspect a healthy Carter and a junior Devon Walker to have their say at the three. Long way to go between now and 2014 and I am pretty confident between coaching changes, late signees, potential transfers, etc., that we will have a passable post rotation.
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,889
    I try not to worry over things totally out of my control. And I really try not to worry over next season when this one has barely got started. Kind of takes some of the fun out of it for me.
  20. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    I have been concerned with our ability to attract frontcourt players for a while. You'd think our success as a team, winning SEC championships and making it to the Elite Eight three years in a row would help with that.