Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I make my meatballs with both beef and pork, but I don't use any veal.

And garlic sliced like that and cooked in just a tiny bit of olive oil would melt just like a smashed anchovy filet.

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making linguini with squid, fennel, lemon, and assorted spices. Tweaking what I tried with assorted things in the frig a few weeks ago: Definitely less lemon, sliced thinner, and just a light sugar coating on the lemons when I start to caramelize them.

Tomorrow is a 6:00 baseball game that I am attending so ball park food, but on Wednesday I am smoking a 5 lb pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches. Making Carolina slaw to go with it, of course. I will probably get some yard work done after making the slaw while the pork shoulder smokes. I am considering making some home made oven fries to go with it.

Also cleaning the oven window today. I don't think it has ever been done before and it was really caked on. We have had this gas range for many years and bought it used. First a coating of baking soda paste for 30 minutes, then used two single edged razor blades to take off as much as I could, now a second coating of baking soda paste. I think that will do it and I will be able to see into the oven again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    That was the quickest 5lb pork shoulder that I have ever smoked for pulling. After 5 hours at 220 F the internal temperature was 200 F to 203 F. I checked lots of places to make sure I wasn't hitting a hot spot. Usually it takes 7 to 8 hours to hit that temperature. It must have been a shoulder without much connective tissue to dissolve.

It has been wrapped in foil for 40 minutes already. I think that I will let it rest for two hours before pulling.

Carolina slaw was made this morning. Half of a head of cabbage thinly sliced and chopped, half a bell pepper chopped, two carrots julianned, half a sweet onion chopped, apple cider vinegar, canola oil, sugar, celery seed, Coleman's dry mustard, and freshly ground black pepper makes a lot of slaw. You need this slaw to go on what I think of as a proper pulled pork sandwich. And it is tasty all on its own.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Keeping it simple tonight as I need to go back to Albany in the morning--Mama's days are getting harder on her at 94--
    Just can't not take the opportunity to see her--

Old fashioned chicken and rice with grilled cheese sandwiches. If your chicken and rice is kinda bland to you and you use chicken bullion cubes change it up with "Better Than Bullion" chicken base. It's in about the same size jar as the cubes and is best kept refrigerated after opened. Use 1 tsp of the base instead of cubes--salt to taste.
    After I've pressure-cooked my chicken breasts and pulled or shredded them I use the broth out of the pressure cooker into a large pot to add rice to. Add water if needed. Also I put one can of Cream of Chicken soup in when I add the rice. At this point 20 min. cooking time just like rice.
    The soup and new bullion really make a delicious difference.

6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Will you marry me ????? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    If your chicken and rice is kind of bland a can of Rotel will fix that up really easy. I find bullion cubes and Better that Bullion to be too salty for my taste.

Have a good day with your mom. I have been missing mine for many years even though we never saw eye to eye. Mine died when she was 74 (close to 20 years ago), but my MIL (who I dearly love) is 86 and is currently living in my house while her new home is being finished on the back half of my property. Who knew that home sites near downtown Gainesville could be 1/2 acre and allow an auxiliary dwelling?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't play for that team. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--

Might be the best answer of any question, on any board, any time, any where...LMAO!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Lol , yeah I know

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Cooking a beer can chicken tonight with left over slaw and green beans. My 22 year old son plowed through all of the left over pulled pork that I thought we would have tonight. Also brining some thick pork chops for tomorrow. My brine has kosher salt, sugar, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, allspice seeds, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Maybe some sort of potato gratin to go with that as well as a salad.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Back home from Albany in time to do Baby Back Rack Ribs on the Egg over applewood smoke--
    Grilled cob corn, fresh butter beans and ho-made 'tater salad to go with--Love smoking ribs with a Yeti full of ice cold longnecks--

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    What a nice way to spend the afternoon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinner got delayed a bit. When I was getting ready to put the gratin in the oven I found out we were out of aluminum foil to seal it up, so off to Publix.

Also I had to stage the finishing of the gratin with cooking the pork chops as both needed the oven in different configurations. Maybe some day I will have a 48" range with dual fuel and two ovens. I have the space and both gas and 3-phase already installed, but I would lose precious counter top space and I would have to plumb a vent to the outside from an interior wall where I have the gas and electric.

15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    We had spaghetti aglio olio. Cook your pasta of choice while at the same time making the sauce. The sauce is olive oil with finely sliced jalapeños. Heat up the jalapeños in the olive oil to a light simmer. Mince fresh organic garlic and then add that to the simmering olive oil. Do not burn the garlic. Only a minute or so simmering. Then put diced cherry tomatoes into the garlic, olive oil and jalapeños. Drain the pasta and put it into the sauce pan. Mix it all around. Add some salt. Serve.

Of course eat it (and cook it) while drinking Saint Arnold's Summer Pils.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm guessing fresh oregano and not fresh organic.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    No, organic garlic. Organic garlic has much more flavor than just regular garlic in my opinion. For whatever reason, Whole Foods organic garlic is the best garlic I have ever had.

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    greg--

I didn't know that they made organic garlic powder...:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    Since this is a family oriented message board I will refrain from asking which organ produces this garlic powder.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Lots of leftover gratin from last night so I asked my wife what I should make to go with it and she said "Pot roast. I love pot roast" to which I replied "I hate pot roast".

On further reflection maybe I only hate pot roast the way my mom prepared it.

So today I am trying out making my first pot roast.