Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was a quick and dirty good meal: NY Strip Steaks on a gas grill, garlic mashed potatoes, and a salad with what we had (some mixed salad greens, tomatoes, steamed asparagus). And an pretty decent Oregon Pinot from 2013. Not all Oregon Pinots from 2013 are good.

Tonight I was going to make pork shoulder tacos with a 1 pound piece of boneless pork shoulder that was in the freezer for a while and defrosting. And then everyone asked if I was making carnitas with it. Damn. That is too small of a piece of meat for that, so I went out and bought a 3+ pound boneless pork shoulder to use with it so I can make carnitas.

It has just started braising and I have already made a "taco shop" guacamole to go with it. That is nothing like a regular guac. It has more tomatillo than avocado, lots of serrano pepper, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and onion all in a blender.

I'll start making the pico de gallo soon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know this is banal compared to the above great topics but I would like to talk about hot dogs.

I have not eaten one in decades. Once watched a show on the Food Channel showing how they were prepared which disgusted me.

Yesterday I was talking to the Meat Manager at the local Publix about how hot dogs were made. He basically validated my concerns saying they were made from parts of the animal I do not care to discuss here - :(.

He did say that kosher hot dogs like Nathan's, etc were made from better cuts of meat.

Your thoughts?

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220-
    Just me, but I don't normally grill dogs when I'm doing burgers unless requested. I always however pick up dogs when I'm making a pot of chili--chili cheese dogs for the next day's lunch are a must.
    That said, Nathan's are one of the better choices IMO.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling wings tonight for Game 7. Accompanied with your typical fresh veggie cold cut tray. Seasoning with coarse black pepper and Everglades Seasoning, Pat's BBQ sauce last two turns, and yes---
    Yeti's already full of ice cold longnecks for the grilling and the game!:D

• Like Like x 2
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't know what is in a Vienna Beef hot dog, but I always have several whenever I visit Chicago.

As for hot dogs that I can get at Publix, I go for Hebrew National.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  6. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tomorrow I just might cook a Meatloaf.

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Today is son #2's 22nd birthday. Last year I cooked steaks, but this year he wanted to go to Dragonfly (a downtown Gainesville Japanese/Asian restaurant) for an early dinner before the game. So no cooking for me tonight. The only cooking I did today was making "suet blocks" (actually no suet, I use lard) to feed the neighborhood birds that visit my yard. I don't save a whole lot of money by making my own, but the birds prefer what I make over the store bought kind and that includes what I can get at Wild Birds Unlimited.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It is my son's birthday. He is watching the Blackhawks game (actually the National Anthem right now) on our really nice TV. I guess I will retire to my bedroom to watch the baseball game.

Also ESPN3 is not letting me watch the Lady Gators play volleyball even though we have ESPNU on our cable and the AM 850 website is not working either for audio of the UF vs UK women's volleyball match.

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My son is so nice.

He let me see the end of the Lady Gators volleyball match against UK. Go Gators!!!!!!

Now it will be switching between the Blackhawks and Game 7 all evening.

11. anstro76

anstro76 Fluent In Nonsense Moderator

Feb 14, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Never use cooking wine. It's loaded with sodium and tastes like a bum's b-hole. Just get a decent bottle of red.

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Simple tonight--Chicken & rice with grilled cheese sandwiches---
    The week end is coming and there is a Boston Butt on the Egg in the horizon...:)

13. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    [​IMG]

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Just had a boneless chuck roast ground up fresh for hamburger steaks tonight on the grill. Baked potatoes and fresh salad topped off with vine-ripe tomatoes.
    Ice cold longnecks waiting in the back porch Yeti.;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I just bought a nice piece of fresh grouper. I am going to bake that with a macadamia/panko/cilantro/butter crust.

I also have a bunch of celery missing one stalk (I needed it for last night's meatloaf - I wasn't joking!). I am making celery soup with that.

Keeping it simple with steamed green beans as the veggie unless I get inspired to do something more fancy with them. I do have some slivered almonds somewhere ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Boston Butt went on the Egg @ 5:30am (new time--o_O)
    Will reach 195 degrees internal (best for pulled pork) over apple wood smoke.
    Jan's mac & cheese along with zipper peas and yes wing--fried cornbread...:cool:

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    YUM, Mr. Horne.

I went to the Gator BB exhibition so not much time for cooking. A dozen chicken legs on the grill with Pat's Ho Made BBQ sauce to finish them. They just came off. And my wife made home-made mac-n-cheese.

I also bought some green beans, but they have never gotten made. Maybe a salad will get thrown together at the last minute.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-
    That's a can't miss at our house...Have you tried Everglades Seasoning on chicken and/or pork? Good stuff.

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Spaghetti, fresh salad with vine ripe tomatoes, and good bread & wine tonight--wish y'all were here....:)

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    NICE!!!! I wish that I was there except ...

Tonight was Trivia Night (we won!) so no cooking. Food truck pizza instead (OK, but overpriced). We did win the pretzel round which should have gotten us one pretzel, but we got six really great pretzels instead. Maybe the lady serving the pretzels liked us. I bought one to go afterwards and left a nice tip. If you know pretzels from NYC or the like you will know these pretzels. Served with lots of mustard, of course.

Last night I made a soup with the ground pork I didn't use for the meatloaf, mustard greens, Thai rice noodles, chicken stock, scallions, ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns. The last ingredient may be hard to find, but it is essential.

Now I have some extra mustard greens and they are my favorite greens. So many great dishes to chose from.

• Like Like x 1