Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it's a 10 lb shank portion ham on the Egg over applewood smoke with home made red tater tater salad and fresh pink-eyed peas with snaps...
    You know what that means----really good ham'n'cheese omelets with grits and biscuits in the morning!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Chicken legs were BOGO at Publix today. I am grilling up enough drumsticks to feed an entire baseball team. Leaving a lot of cold chicken for my son when I leave for Idaho and mountain hiking and eclipse viewing on Wednesday.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Smoking butts today on the Egg. Home made baked mac & cheese, slow cooked barbecue beans, and steamed fresh cabbage to go along with. Butts are a long slow cook--Back porch Yeti's getting a work-out today....:D

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I had some leftover pork tenderloin so I am making escarole soup tonight.

Tomorrow I am making carnitas and home-made pico de gallo and an avocado/tomatillo guac as toppings to wrap it all up in corn tortillas.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We were busy all day both around the house and running errands so it was grilled cheeseburgers and home fries tonight.
    Alan's coming in for the week-end tomorrow so we're gonna kick it off with fresh fried catfish, cheese grits, and home made cole slaw Friday night.
    Give him a night with his friends Saturday--
    And have Jan's pot roast & gravy, mashed potatoes, cream 40's & baby butter beans along with fried cornbread on Sunday...
    Love having family home for the week-end...:cool:

6. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Freshman

May 9, 2015
    Is it just me or does anyone else gain 5 pounds every time they click on this thread?????? :D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Carnitas will wait until tomorrow. Going to see the Lady Gators play volleyball against Texas early this evening instead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    YES!!!!
    It is tomorrow!!!:p

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilling rib-eyes tonight with a cream cheese/bleu cheese/shallot/white wine vinegar/serrano pepper topping with garlic mashed potatoes and an arugula/kale/bacon salad.

Also started marinating jerked chicken (home made jerk sauce) for grilling on Monday. I like to have it marinade for days. I used Scotch bonnets that I grew myself.

Tomorrow I am smoking some chickens. At least two and maybe three.

I have no idea about Sunday. Maybe making some pasta as a change of pace. Or something with leftover smoked chicken. Or maybe some pasta with leftover smoked chicken. LOL.

10. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am with you on the marinating, Lurker.

Instructions say 2 hours which I always translate to two days plus.

I love taking the most basic chicken pieces - the thigh and the leg then marinating and grilling them so they taste as good as any steak.

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I always use lots of chicken legs because I can get them cheap and they taste great jerked.

12. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And, jerk marinade is my fave closely followed by teriyaki and mojo.

13. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do any of you do tailgating for baseball games?

I've been living in Miami for some time and will be moving to Jacksonville in about a year. Would love to get together with you all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    There is a regular group that gets together tailgatoring around the law library--you know them as "the Section E Hecklers"...Also Wingtee, a baseball alum lives in Jax also.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Frying some plantains to go with the jerked chicken. Also making black beans and rice with onions and a kale/cabbage salad.

Time to pull the plantains and smash them before the second fry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    2" thick boneless ribeyes tonight with bi-colored cob corn and baked red taters on the grill along with a fresh salad.
    Ice cold bottled Pacifico with fresh lime wedges to along with the meal tonight.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    "Pre-Hurricane" party tonight. Got a house full up from Tampa riding it out (Kayla & Tim and a couple of their friends)--
    St.Louis cut rack ribs on the Egg over apple wood smoke along with some wild hog Italian sausage, cream 40's & butter beans, barbecued baked beans, and loaded smashed potatoes...
    Oh yeah, and ice cold longnecks.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    We have a gas range and a propane grill with two full tanks for cooking if the power goes out for a number of days with Irma. Yesterday I cooked up a lot of chili in prep for the hurricane and stocked the house with various sausages for grilling as they can stay fresh enough even without refrigeration. Today I made caramelized cabbage with anchovies, bread crumbs, and penne to have as a quick warm up. For dinner tonight is pasta with shrimp and a spicy sun-dried tomato/cream sauce. I am taking that and a nice mixed greens salad to my MIL's house along with some nice Oregon wine for dinner tonight. Maybe the last nice meal for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We've been busy the last two days and nights on Merritts Mill Pond here in Marianna setting crawfish traps. Yes, I know the normal season is March-May--but-- this pond is spring-fed and stays at a very cool temperature year-round making crawfish a real treat.
    We had really good luck and as these are spring fed as I said so there's not so much work to purge them.
    We had a great Low Country Boil with 60 lbs of crawfish, corn, new potatoes, mushrooms, and New Orleans style Andoulie sausage.....
    And yes--plenty of ice cold longnecks...
    Batten down the hatches boys and girls---it's fixing to get real.

20. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1