Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Barbecued chicken halves tonight to go along with fresh salad, baked red potatoes, and grilled Artisan Multi-Grain Bread.
    Beverage of choice a must.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Like your BBQ idea....so yesterday I slow-cooked 4 chicken thighs in some chicken bouillon plus a little honey and some spices. Took them out after about 6 hours and stuck in the fridge. Doing the "Sonny's BBQ" thing today so just now brought them back out of the fridge, de-boned them, and mixed them up with some BBQ sauce to go in the oven for crisping after my fries are done. Little side order of slaw as well.

Drinking ice cold Coke Classic with ice cubes!

Wings and/or pizza will have to wait until next game - it's not delivery - it's DiGiorno.....supreme with stuffed crust.... :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Smoked some kings yesterday, so fish dip for today's game!

• Like Like x 3
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Making a poblano grautin tonight along with a salad and pan fried boneless pork chops.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Omaha Steaks for CWS action?

Maybe some frog legs on the barbie for Sunday supper?!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I do like frog's legs. It has been wet enough recently that maybe I could score some.

But then I would have to cook something else for everyone else. Trump steaks with ketchup?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We're @ Alan's for a while---he's on an over-seas trip with State Farm--taking care of some stuff for him.
    Trial run on a rack of baby backs on his Egg--grilled cob white corn, with rice &and diced tomatoes w/chilies---testing the water in N.Ga for game time recipes this week-end---and yes, they came out top shelf....:p

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making "corn-and-tomato scramble" (sauteed scallions and corn mixed with tomatoes marinaded in olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper) to go with grilled chicken legs and garlic mashed potatoes. The scramble is great when you can get fresh sweet corn and fresh vine ripe tomatoes.

Sunday we will have a crew coming over to watch the game and I am in charge of dinner. I am wavering between smoking a pork shoulder for Western NC style pulled pork sandwiches or doing Memphis style dry rubbed ribs. The only real difference is that the pork shoulder is a day long investment and the ribs only take the afternoon. I will need to decide by tomorrow so that the rub has enough time in the frig on the meat to do its thing.

Or I could do both!

• Like Like x 2
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    A little cooler up here on the mountain so we're going with a pot of home-chili over a bed of rice topped with shredded sharp cheese. And yes, that does mean chili-cheese dogs for lunch tomorrow.:)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Harry's for Father's Day dinner this weekend! Poor Dad, I'll probably try to talk him into going Saturday instead of Sunday due to our game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Got the important part of Sunday's menu set. I am smoking St. Louis cut ribs and chickens. That way I can take the morning off and leave the pork shoulder for pulled pork to another day.

North Carolina cole slaw as a side for sure: cabbage, Vidalia onions, vinegar, oil, celery seed, touch of sugar, bell pepper, dry mustard, carrots are optional, no mayo. Yum. Even Yankees like this.

Maybe a big pot of baked beans? Or if someone asks what they can bring I can have them stop by Sonny's for the baked beans. It is the best thing that they make and a lot less work than making them myself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-
    If you come across some ear corn that's full (I prefer the white/yellow combo) that's an easy add-on to wrap and put on the smoker that would set well in your menu....

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Agreed.

But there is a pretty good chance that one guest will be bringing her famous creamed corn.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I made making pasta (farfalle) with a sauce made with sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, crushed red pepper, heavy cream, garlic, basil, and lots of shrimp.

Crunchy bread and a baby spinach/baby arugula salad with cucumber and tomato on the side.

A really nice Pinot Grigio (Santa Margherita) is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    That sounds like @Bazza approved grub!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-
    You had me at lots of shrimp....;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Baseball watching grub is in progress: chicken and St Louis ribs just started smoking, slaw is made and in the frig getting better by the minute, decided to make our own baked beans and they have been in the slow cooker making the house smell great since 9 am. My MIL is bringing a salad (OK) and her mocha cheesecake (OMG is it good). The light of my life will be making corn bread.

Running low on beer, though. Only two cold Stellas left. I've got to decide between filling some growlers at our local microbrew or heading off to Publix. Nice to have problems like this to decide.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Sierra Nevada beer. Burgers and dogs. College baseball. Happy Father's to all fathers (and me!!).

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

Anything "grautin" good! :D

20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach