Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I miss hearing about what everyone is cooking for game day with the Gator 9 playing on the TV.

I am thinking about braising a brisket this weekend. I have smoked brisket before and it was delicious, but nothing like braising a brisket with the usual stuff (carrots, celery, onions, thyme, etc) using bourbon and Guinness for the liquid and then finishing it off with a peach jam glaze in the broiler. I am staring at an unopened jar of Smuckers Peach Jam as I type this.

And a heads up if you have Netflix. At the end of August "The Sandlot" is going out of the streaming rotation. If you have Netflix streaming I strongly suggest that you see this movie while you can. It is a classic. "You are killing me, Smalls."

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Home made Lasagna here today. Made yesterday and set in the refrigerator overnight--always seems better that way, with a fresh salad and multi-grain bread. Hope your summer's going well.

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    No brisket this weekend. We have a bunch of college kids moving out of a rental house we own and there is a ton of stuff to fix. How do they break door locks, electrical sockets, and blinds?

Making chicken marsala instead.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We've rented one time---pretty safe to say never again just for the type reasons you've cited.....
    Tonight it's half a boneless pork loin grilled indirect over charcoal with a pan of apple juice for steam and apple wood for smoke--seasoned with a light coat of olive oil, followed by coarse salt & black pepper, butt rub, then dusted with Cavender's Greek seasoning. Sides are fresh zipper peas, grilled cob corn, and AuGratin potatoes.

5. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you get your marsala sauce at Publix?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I make my own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    You guys crack me up. I miss ball park food so I'm thinking of going over to Jax this month and catch a Suns game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Ballpark food is over priced and not very good.

But I miss being at the ball park watching a game whilst eating mediocre food.

Tonight I am making potatoes and chorizo with cubanelle peppers and onion with a bit of jalapeno to give it some kick.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    there's a tropical storm cooking out there....named "EARL". could become a 'cane'. not sure? probably won't be overpowering. spit baller maybe. thumber, probably?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    Yesterday was the opening of lobster season. In the morning went out and caught a limit (6 per person) and had some friends over. Cooked those and a 3.5lb trip tip Picana steak very medium rare.

Very good meal last night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I made my brisket yesterday. Ate leftovers tonight.

A few nights ago I made pork chops in a sauce made with cream, shallots, balsamic vinegar, and figs. Very yummy.

12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Summer in London with no AC meaning a bit too warm in the apartment. As a result, a Greek salad (bell pepper, red onion, tomato, cucumber, feta and kalamata olives) with balsamic vinaigrette and virgin olive oil dressing. Scotch bonnet peppers and a spicy salt (it is just better with some kick!!!).

Of course some whiskey to wash it all down. Can't be too healthy or I will have to work longer... Need to find that happy medium.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I did have a black eyed pea and tilapia dish spread on a bed of cous cous at a Senegal/Gambian street food place on Sunday. Tasty stuff.

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Great idea. Just poured a finger of Ardbeg with a splash of water.

15. Stevenelsocio

Stevenelsocio VIP Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I had no idea this board existed. Thought I was on another site.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Probably tough to find it there in G-ville (and maybe Florida) but I recommend Togouchi Premeium Blended Whiskey. Japanese obviously. Very smooth and a bit different than what you are likely used to drinking.

Lately I have been on a Jura kick. I currently am drinking Jura Superstition but I also recommend Jura Prophecy. Scottish btw.

On Thursday and Friday I will be attending the Great British Beer Festival in London. "Real Ales" so no gas and room temp. A bit of an acquired taste but I personally like them. 900 from which to choose!!!

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have had numerous real Scottish ales when there. Lovely drinks!

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it will be a rack of beef plate ribs on the smoker with squash & onions, fresh cream 40's & butter beans with a round loaf of multi-grain bread. I rub the ribs with Louisiana hot sauce the sprinkle coarse salt & pepper on all sides. I smoke them indirect over apple wood smoke @ 285 for 5-6 hours. The recipe is on YouTube @ BBQ with Franklin:Beef Ribs.

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilling NY Strip steaks with "baked" (actually microwaved) potatoes and a salad tonight. Keeping it simple.

20. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Microwaved potatoes??? You demonstrate skill and care in your food and then go all lazy on me.

Put some oil or butter on the outside, roll it in salt, and twice bake it!!!! The only way to bake a potato.

Now if you want mashed, add some spicy peppers when you mash and then you can sprinkle a olive oil+garlic sauce like you would use for peppericino aglio olio. Do not overdo the oil though. Just a light drizzle.

Of course, au gratin is an option or homemade potato wedges.