What will the Gator juniors that entered the NFL draft say Monday?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, May 8, 2014.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    As for what they will be saying on Monday, "Paper or plastic?" Didn't even finish their degree and if I'm right they also lost their scholarship so they'll have a harder time finishing. They have absolutely nothing now. What agent gave them these falsehoods needs to be taken behind the woodshed.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +827
    I didn't realize he was banned from UF after he signs his pro contract. I don't think Powell's decision was that bad. His first step just isn't that great. He should get what he can while he can. Purifoy would never have graduated anyway. Not a bad decision by him. Roberson is a head scratcher.
  3. johnsatchmo

johnsatchmo Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Their lives aren't over jeez. There are hundreds of undrafted players each year, these two will both get a shot in some teams camp (like many pundits have said, being undrafted is sometimes a blessing because you have somewhat more control over your destination). Here's hoping they take this as a lesson and work their butts off to make a team.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,234
    I know a guy from my hometown that played at LSU. He was undrafted free agent and signed a 3 year deal with the Bears last year. He's doing pretty well for himself.

As for Robe and Louchie, a lot of their decision was based on their home life. Money was needed and this is their shot at getting it. From what I've heard, Louchie's mom's health isn't good and Robe's family's finances aren't in good shape.

It's easy to say they should've stayed or whatever, but if your family needed you, you'd do whatever you could to help them too.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +337
    IMO, for any underclassmen to go through the kind of season UF did last year, and then believe the crap that a sports agent wants to pump up your butt is silly! All of the underclassmen that left, without a degree in their pocket chose poorly. The dream of "Plan A " (making it in the NFL) has likely been in their head for 10+ years. But without a "Plan B" (earning a valuable degree) you are not ready for life after football. Sad, but true.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,369
    Louchie might be a good arena league player...
  7. gatorpower

gatorpower Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    He's not banned from UF, but wouldn't it be on his dime now? Wouldn't it be without the tutors, meal plans and free campus housing?
  8. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,234
    Wow...So Louchie went from a projected 1st rounder to an arena league player...smh

Tough crowd...
  9. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I understand your thinking but Diplomas are simply not worth what they were. I know plenty of folks with them, 100k in SL's, and no job in sight. There are always other alternatives to seek out. The whole gotta get a degree or you won't make it is becoming outdated imo.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    There are always exceptions, but I think the results from many studies indicate that people who earn college degrees have more earning power in the long run than people who do not. Read more . . .

The percentage of professional athletes who become bankrupt within single digit years of retirement are staggering also.

The individuals who get rich w/o a college degree tend to be very intelligent and enterprising.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    The dumbest of the dumb has to be USCe's Victor Hampton. Two bad press reports, both of which reinforce the NFL draft concern of being a hothead with anger management issues. He not only went undrafted, he hasn't received any free agent offers. The rest of the Gamecocks not drafted at least signed free agent deals:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/10/5703808/undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-2014-nfl-draft

The weirdest being Connor Shaw to the Browns. What's he going to do behind Johnny Cleveland?
  12. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Probably similar stats for lottery winners. I shudder to think what I would have done with 22 million (Clowney's projected) at age 22.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I 'd rather see the stats on college athletes(football primarily) who don't make it in the bigtime as well as what kind of majors they had. I am not convinced many have even the kind of degree that even makes them even marginally marketable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Still, an UDFA isn't making that much money that he can go and buy mom a new home. First, they earn a non-guaranteed league minimum, which is slotted to be $420,000 (they don't get all of this at one time) plus a signing bonus of just over $80,000. It's far more money than they have now, but poor house money compared to the 1st round. If they had better discipline last year, they both would be 1st rounders and we might have finished with a better record.

Still Roberson isn't on the UDFA list, so he isn't even making that. I'll pray that he gets chosen by somebody.
  15. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    That's still a hell of a lot more than they would've made with a college degree and entering the regular workforce. That kind of money would easily pay for their final credits for their degree.

I'm not saying they made good decisions, they didn't, but it's not like their options are over and now they're just going to be homeless. I don't see either one of these guys ever being 1st rounders. I have no idea what the so called TV experts saw in Purifoy to give him the preseason grades he had. They must have been watching the wrong tape.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. VanNoord

VanNoord Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    I do wonder if a desire to get away from planet Muschamp played any role in decisions to come out. One thing to be on a team that's positive and happening. Another to be on a losing team with, allegedly, some piss poor locker room atmospherics. And a disillusioned/divided fan base.

Maybe not, most likely a solely personal matter, but no doubt UF isn't the happiest place in athletics these days. ...
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,234
    Approx $80k is the pool that each team can use for UDFA signing bonuses. That's not what each player can get.

A weekly check of $24k is a lot more than what they'd make with a degree. Even practice squad money isn't too bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Agree, LP was all hype. He was going to play both ways and be this huge playmaker, riiight. Guy couldn't even cover that well and he was a corner back. It made no sense to me why he was so hyped.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272

Gotta be something to this. Especially with the really odd transfers like Murphy, Riggs, and silberman. A guy like Murphy , a career backup, should have been over the moon about playing so much and possibly competing to start this year, instead he transfers? Very telling to me. Especially from such a humble, heady guy. He's not a me first, nfl prospect looking to cash in or anything.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Roberson really screwed himself. He would have started next year with VH3 and had a chance to prove himself again. He barely even played this year, had to know he would put up terrible combine numbers, and expected an early round draft pick? He could have used his senior year to bulk up a little and work on his speed as well.

as for Purifoy, I don't think he can cover no matter what he does. Bath salts certainly didn't help the situation.