Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What Trump promised oil CEOs as he asked them to steer $1 billion to his campaign

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, May 10, 2024.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I first saw headlines about this, I thought it was something that happened while he was in office we are just finding out about. This was a part of his campaign activities last month. Our nations policies should be based on what is best for we the people, not for sale to the highest bidder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/05/09/trump-oil-industry-campaign-money/

As Donald Trump sat with some of the country’s top oil executives at his Mar-a-Lago Club last month, one executive complained about how they continued to face burdensome environmental regulations despite spending $400 million to lobby the Biden administration in the last year.

Trump’s response stunned several of the executives in the room overlooking the ocean: You all are wealthy enough, he said, that you should raise $1 billion to return me to the White House. At the dinner, he vowed to immediately reverse dozens of President Biden’s environmental rules and policies and stop new ones from being enacted, according to people with knowledge of the meeting, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe a private conversation.

Giving $1 billion would be a “deal,” Trump said, because of the taxation and regulation they would avoid thanks to him, according to the people.

Trump’s remarkably blunt and transactional pitch reveals how the former president is targeting the oil industry to finance his reelection bid. At the same time, he has turned to the industry to help shape his environmental agenda for a second term, including rollbacks of some of Biden’s signature achievements on clean energy and electric vehicles.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm going to guess the final justification for this will be "he was going to enact those policies anyway so he might as well get paid for it."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Trump has never made much effort to hide his corruption. He has just counted on his adherents to believe that everybody else is as corrupt as him, so it doesn't matter.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    MAGAts love to complain about inflation much of which is driven by high gas prices.

I am 100% convinced that the oil companies and OPEC have been intentionally jacking up oil prices to help Trump.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    MAGAts want to talk about a car payment repayment to Biden but Trump and especially Kushner put the US up for the highest bidder while in office.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But Hunter Biden, her emails, Taylor Swift, Drag Queens, and the list goes on

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry, but forcing people into short running and very expensive EV cars is NOT an achievement. Clean energy is a joke for many reasons. But one main reason is becasue every other nation that uses or will use our domestic fossil fuels will "pollute" the same EXACT WORLD that we in the United States of America inhabit too. So the real lie is that they want American to give up our cheap domestic fossil fuels and our highly efficient ICE cars for nothing more than a short running EV so that China and other nations can succeed economically.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a no brainer for the oil industry to support Trump. Biden has consistently attacked oil, gas, and coal as president. He has drained the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to keep prices down so as to not inflame inflation more than he has plus he has no intention to refill. Winning elections is more important to Dictator Biden than doing right by the American people.

What's fair for the goose is fair for the gander as presidencies go. Biden started undoing everything Trump did while president on day 1. Don't be so foolish to think Trump isn't going to do the same. MAGA.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So the fact that oil production has hit records under Biden is a symbol of what, exactly? Biden is being smart. We need oil today, but the future? If we have already hit peak oil, which is likely, then we need to plan for a future where are not so dependent upon oil. It's really simple. Oil is not renewable. It won't last forever. Nothing is going to change tomorrow, but if we're less oil dependent 10 years from now because of actions we take today, why is this a bad thing?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you aren't complaining about gasoline prices while we pump more oil than ever in the US then? Since you consider gasoline cheap now!

BTW, who is being "forced" into buying an EV? Pretty sure that you can buy a gas car from every company but Tesla. I think the word you are looking for is "choose."

You also might want to check out what is happening in China in regards to EVs. It would probably stun you.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am again for all of the above and for markets to decide what people should be free to drive. I do NOT support government mandated restrictions on which kinds of fuels I choose to use. If I want to buy an EV then I want to have to unfettered right to buy an EV just like an ICE vehicle.

Yep, on China, I read an article a few weeks ago about how the EV cars are not being sold and are stacking up in parking lots all over China. That is sad so see. I guess they are reliable enough for the Chinese consumers.

They should "fire-sale" those EV cars to third world countries. That would be a win for the global environment (according to the Leftists) and maybe these third would countries will then embrace EV technologies too. It's better then letting those cars just waste and weather away in the sun on some vacant parking lot in China.

13. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    The orange turd strikes again...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    He could shoot someone on 5th avenue or outright solicit bribes (quid pro quo w/ 1bn quid) and not lose any votes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Legend

Feb 24, 2024
    And if you don't believe this, just look at India where the air pollution is the EXACT SAME as it is in the United States........but we have all these dang laws against pollution that they don't have!

P.S. My EV cost 28k new, 20.5k after tax credit. It costs me about $6.50 to get 300 miles range - equivalent probably to about 11-12 gallons of gas, or $40.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Legend

Feb 24, 2024

Indeed you are confused. Biden didn't propose policy as a quid pro quo from a specific industry - he proposed policy out of the genuine belief that is what is best for the USA and world. AND.....he did not effectively put a grubby hand out towards a particular industry, so that they could offer him what is essentially a bribe.

Extremely odd that any of this could be the least bit confusing to an educated adult.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Weird then that you would be talking about this as if people were forced to buy a product when they weren't. Almost as if you aren't really in favor of it, as you recognize, at some level, that the market choosing EVs will force your hand (as things like gas stations will go away) but you don't want to admit that you are upset at that (and will eventually just blame a shadowy conspiracy instead of markets anyways).

You should find new sources. Chinese EV sales are up 33% for the year.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...na-made-ev-sales-fall-18-yy-april-2024-05-07/

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Maga making up facts again? CNN FRi April 26th 2024 "
    Hong KongCNN —
    All but one of the 100 cities with the world’s worst air pollution last year were in Asia, according to a new report, with the climate crisis playing a pivotal role in bad air quality that is risking the health of billions of people worldwide.

The vast majority of these cities — 83 — were in India and all exceeded the World Health Organization’s air quality guidelines by more than 10 times, according to the report by IQAir, which tracks air quality worldwide."

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    How about he might just stand to be the slightest bit better positioned to reverse Biden's asphyxiating regs if he's POTUS, than if he's rendered a political prisoner, according the the D's actual plan.

Were you expecting pearl clutching indignity?

The Dems toxic weaponization of the justice department remains by far, the most disgusting shit we've ever witnessed in American politics, far worse by a factor of 1000x, than anything Trump has done or could do.

PS--sadly for both of us, you'll *get* this, when the pubs use the precedent set by the Dems in the not too distant future. Just remember you were celebrating this abomination.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Legend

Feb 24, 2024
    When do they ever do anything (lately) besides this?

"Her de der de derrr, I'm so angry about fake things that that fake-tanned guy told me to be angry about.......that I can now just say anything untrue and be angry about it!!"

Grown adults actually type this stuff? Ooops.....hold on.........I'm asphyxiating!!!! :(

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1