What To Expect The Rest Of The Way

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by reel_gator, Sep 21, 2013.

1. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Seriously, one guy was a 5 star and the other was a 2 star? I just watched a 2 star with no snaps in a meaningful game just lead the offense to 31 points and 350 yards. I just saw the 2 star making better decisions than the 5 star. The star system is BS IMO. At least TM is not spotting team points. BTW there was a Gator QB that emerged this way and became one of our better QB's. Oh by the way that QB was not some gimmick 5 star, he was a walkon.
  2. johnsatchmo

johnsatchmo Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    The one play that sold me on Tyler Murphy was the one in the 3rd or 4th quarter when he rolled out of a collapsed pocket to the left and waved for Patton to come back from downfield. Then he throws a nice pass across his body that hits Patton right in the numbers. Of course Patton drops the ball but that is not something I had seen from Driskel before.
  3. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    The rating system is BS?!?!?!?! OK, well if Muschamp stopped getting mainly 4 and 5 star guys, and started getting mainly 2 and 3 star guys, I know he would get killed in the recruiting forum. Over the years, 4 and 5 star players have performed extremely well for us, how soon we forget.
  4. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Great play but I was already sold by that point. The play that got me excited was early on when he felt the rush, calmly left the pocket, rolled a little to his left the whole time keeping his eyes down field, saw nothing open, threw the ball away, and went back to the huddle to run another play.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Anyone can spot a talented player and slap a star on him. Who rates these kids? Recruiting sites? There is no real common denominator. I have seen too many 4-5 star players turn out to be average.
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    Each player reacts differently to a season ending injury. Sometimes the player fades away, other times the player gets re-invigorated (like RoPo) and comes back the next year with a new purpose. I don't claim to know what was going on inside JD's head, but it was obvious to me his performance showed that he was feeling alot of pressure. Maybe this will give JD time to soul search and he will come back from this with a new enthusiasm and purpose.

Murphy looks like he was chomping at the bit to play, and he seems like he won't let his opportunity be wasted. The throw to Dunbar on the sidelines is one we haven't seen in a long time. It was thrown to a perfect spot, at the exact time. I have a feeling that Pease and Boom, if Tyler keeps making those kind of throws, will open things up. IMO, the lack of passing in the 4th quarter was more a function of our depleted secondary, rather than any lack of confidence in Murphy. I think we will be surprised going forward with the way our offense looks.
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    If we don't stop turning the ball over 4-5 times every game we could lose all of them.
  8. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +229
    I had the same reaction. I cannot recall the last time the Gator QB took the correct action and threw the ball away when there is other decent option. Throwing the ball away is far better than a sack, interception or fumble.

Murphy seems to have a good football IQ. Here's hoping that he can build on the good start he made.
  9. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    Heading into the Tennessee game I figured we would end up 8-4, with 7-5 being more likely than 9-3.

Now? I'm thinking 7-5 with 6-6 being a distinct possibility. If the coaches had any confidence in Murphy he would've seen time during the Miami game.

Looking decent against arguably the worst defense in the SEC isn't that hard to do.
  10. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    The star system is not inherently bad, but a coach should not rely on it exclusively. Two thirds of all 5-star recruits do not pan out for various reasons (defining "panning out" as becoming good enough to be drafted). Injury, academics, and legal problems seem to eliminate a third of the 5-stars, and the other third become career backups or unnoticed starters (Kyle Jackson, for example). With 4-stars, the odds for high-level success are closer to 20%, for 3-stars, maybe 5%, and for 2-stars, less than 1%.

Smart coaches try to find out which players are more likely to have academic or behavioral problems, and become much more selective about offering them a scholarship. Players like Hernandez and Harvin wouldn't have gotten a scholly at UF if they were not top football players.
  11. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    Our defense will give us a chance to win every game.

Our offense is harder to predict, IMO. I am interested to see Murphy next week after he's had a week of starter's reps and time to digest his new situation. I think he was in a tough position in the first half, but he seemed settled down in the second half. If he can play like that the rest of the year, we should be fine.
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    Back to the OP. What I expect going forward is about what we have seen up to now. We are a run first/play D team and we aren't going to change. We tried some mis-direction plays with some limited success. I thought that the pace of the plays were good but that we either aren't blocking well enough to get the D to over-pursue or the plays just weren't set up properly. Tweeking things should make them much more effective.

And we will probably see a LOT more bubble screens.
  13. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    Back to the OP. What I expect going forward is about what we have seen up to now. We are a run first/play D team and we aren't going to change. We tried some mis-direction plays with some limited success. I thought that the pace of the plays were good but that we either aren't blocking well enough to get the D to over-pursue or the plays just weren't set up properly. Tweeking things should make them much more effective.

And we will probably see a LOT more bubble screens.
  14. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    uk and arkansas are terrible---fla will beat them easily. the only real games are lsu, uga and usc in the sec.
  15. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +733
    Yeah, going down field spreads the defense even more. Defense can be stretched in two directions (vertically as well as laterally), not just one. When a D has to defend the line, left, right, center, middle of the field and long, they cannot "stack" any one area. I've never understood why offenses don't probe every inch of the field. Even if unsuccessful in an area, it opens up the field/other plays.
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    To be fair to the 5 star, his offense rolled up about 550 yards on UT last year.
  17. mebegene

mebegene Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    LET THE MAN LIVE, BORN! :wave: Actually, if the injury to Jeff -HAD- to happen, this was about the best time. Tyler does seem to have extremely good instincts and the announcers sensed that right away with comments like, 'Another thing about being hurt is you might not get your job back.' Something inside me says if Tyler can improve his passing game exponentially with each game, we still might be able to 'salvage' the year. By salvaging I mean eight wins are still possible - with maybe a surprise win adding to that total. But, we've yet to face some 'less dysfunctional' foes and right now with the injuries and absences in our secondary and with Tyler having an impending learning curve, our schedule is riddled with A LOT of very highly functional teams - I'll wager LSU, FSU, Missouri and Georgia are sure losses with Arkansas no 'gimmie' at this point. But on the positive note, I sensed a gigantic swing in our offense pulse (as in we actually had one) when Tyler came on so maybe we can still function against those 'less dysfunctional' teams! :happy:

Mebe
  18. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    The best teams stick to their game plan and attack opposition weaknesses. We stick to our game plan but we don't take advantage of opposing defenses

A perfect example of this was Bama in the TAMU game. TAMU stacked the box so Bama attacked down field. TAMU then had to play more balanced so Bama then went to the running game.

We would have continued to pound ourselves into an impossible front
  19. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    I liked what I saw from Murphy but there was a reason he was backing up Driskel. JD was the better QB based on the evaluation of the coaches....who know a lot more than we do about evaluating players! Murphy has some nice "instincts" which JD was missing. I really like how he rolls out and keeps watching the routes develop downfield. His performance was great even though there were some hiccups (the snap from center that bounced off his helmet may have been the center's fault but who knows...). Let's all get behind this kid and hope he can sprinkle some magic on this dormant Florida offense. What we saw yesterday was promising.......
  20. LTG61

LTG61 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    I sensed the same thing and, based on that, I'd take your wager. Suddenly, I don't see any "sure" losses. That, in and of itself, is exciting to me.