What To Expect The Rest Of The Way

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by reel_gator, Sep 21, 2013.

1. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Its started with the UM game and will definitely continue now with new Qb....all teams will stack the line and make it extremely difficult to run off tackle with the power blasts. I counted many plays today with nine men up close to the line defending us and trying to force pass plays.

Having the box stacked is why the quick sideline screens or sweep flys out of the backfield become important...you try to spread out the defense some. Unless you are a potent passing team it will be difficult to handle the stacked line...and fortunately we have an ace up our sleeve...its called hard nose defense! We can afford to stick to gameplan and punt and let our defense hold em. Against really good offenses we will have to be sure not to leave our defense out on the field too much.

Today we had three players out in our secondary at one time and with our depth we still were able to keep up. Roberson was hurt and then Purifoy got slightly injured and we had an ejection (watch UGAs Jordan Jenkins plow into defenseless North Texas Qb who had just released a pass and intentionally lower his head and hit with crown of his helmut....no flag! The good news is that the Qb from North Texas threw a nice pass the next play for a first down and then threw a TD)

Anyway...we will have hands full playing UK and Ark....but we win those and give Murphy a lot of prep time for LSU. Murphy is slippery and with each snap he should improve his passing game. AU stacked the line against LSU as I was watching and put 9 men in the box, but a few quick passes stopped that. We can expect a heavy of dose of 8-9 men up close to stop our Rbs.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    Exactly. The quick pass and perimeter run games can work like gold if teams want to bring one or both safeties into the box. That's what happened on Patton's big catch and run.
  3. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +552
    murphy has much better instinct and i think it was so obvious in todays game. i don't care if we played tenn's awful D... jeff would have been sacked or thrown more interceptions in spots where murphy felt the pressure , stepped up and bought time to either tuck and run; throw it away and find an OPEN reciever(not one in triple coverage). if he stays as a game manager i think we will be fine if not better because murphy is a much better decision maker than jeff has ever showed to be.
  4. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    One thing is for sure. Hardin better start hitting fg's in the 35-45 yd range. The way we are built to play, kicking game is very important. UGA, USCe, LSU and FSU are the big games. Can we win two of those games to get to 9 wins? Obviously if we beat UGA & USCe we will win the East. A lot of questions going forward, but I feel slightly more optimistic with Murphy, as he seems to fit in better with what this team needs going forward. Need a qb to move the chains, play within the offense and not turn the ball over.
  5. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    You hate to see Driskel hurt, but for fans it will be a lot easier to support Murphy the rest of the way. Next spring Driskel will have the opportunity to win the job back.
  6. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    I do not believe it will be much different than what we saw today.
    IMHO the difference will be Murphy. I do not believe he will be sacked nearly as often because he releases the ball quicker and is faster and more elusive than Jeff. His long pass with a great grab by Dunbar showed his arm strength and I believe our receivers will bust a gut to catch his passes. Lou Holtz said it well when he said we will be better off with Tyler at QB.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    Faster, no, but definitely more elusive in the pocket. Moves very well laterally and keeps his eyes downfield. He throws a very catchable ball and I liked the few deeper throws he made, but the big test will be his short and intermediate throws against tight zones or man coverage.
  8. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    I believe before he came in as a recruit Tyler was timed at 4.4 sec in the forty. If that profile is accurate it is a slightly faster time than Jeff's 4.5 to 4.6.
  9. rmonteag

rmonteag Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    I expect losses to pile up as we face less dysfunctional teams.
  10. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    Murphy can sense and respond appropriately to pocket pressure. That alone is a large improvement.
  11. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I expect you to disappear when they don't:wave:
  12. gatornib

gatornib Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I'm not super happy to have a 2-star QB recruit leading the Gators, but I liked what I saw today from Tyler Murphy and I have more confidence in him going forward than with Driskel. I just don't think we have enough 5-stars on the offensive side of the ball to seriously contend for a championship in the SEC. To me, the Georgia game is the season now.
  13. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    We can expect less turnovers, a better passing game, and thus an improved running game.
  14. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,000
    I expect us to slaughter all who stand in our way.
  15. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    Driskell was a 5 star against pretty competition. I don't know about TM. Maybe these 5 star guys don't have the winning edge because they have been hand held by many....lets go murphy play with a chip and eff gator nation! Just get us to the ATL
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Driskel competition was way better than Murphy's in high school. I could have sworn Jeff was a 4 star player and people were pissed he didnt get his 5th star.

On what to expect?

I expect much of the same thing we did last year. We can win games that way

[EDIT]

ESPN GAVE HIM 5 RIVALS GAVE HIM 4
  17. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Driskel played good competition in HS (class 4A or 5A). Remember he even faced Lakeland in the playoffs and single handedly destroyed them even though his team lost. That game proved his potential is real, but he is so raw he still needs this season and next to sit and learn more and maybe he can be ready as a 5th year senior. He was a 5 star #1 rated QB on both scout and espn.
  18. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmonteag View Post
    I expect losses to pile up as we face less dysfunctional teams.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  19. UGator

UGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Our RB's are slow, and our OL was banged up and inept at times against a weaker TN defense. Could this be the result of poor recruiting, or talent, or coaching? The CBS guys kept saying we play smash without any flash!

Tyler needs plays where he can roll and pass or run some and not stay in the pocket and get hammered by our inconsistent OL blocking. We should have used Jeff in this way as well since his pocket performances were severely lacking and he panicked at times. He has always tried to make plays where there were none to make, where he could have run or thrown it in the stands.

Tyler Murphy will need everyone around him to be at their best. He could finally be a "find" at QB, not because of the coaches revelations, but because of Jeff's injury and having to play,,,,,finally. He seems to see the field and keep his composure and the players responded to him.

One has to wonder why he hasn't played at all up to this point?
  20. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I expect more wins than I did 24 hours ago.