What some of you are missing...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    Totally disagree with your first sentence. To say W/L is not an indicator of skill is absurd. There can be a one game aberration , but over time it is an excellent indicator. Just compare the number of draftees from a BCS team vs a cellar dweller.
  2. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Damn, some of you are almost starting to make me feel bad about going 11-2 last year ...
  3. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Lol well it was last year. Lets avoid talking the past before we sound like Miami and FSU fans. ;)
  4. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    You're not getting my point: Last Saturday Miami did nothing to prove they were a better team than Florida in my (very important) opinion.

I don't know why you're talking about this team's flaws. I never said there weren't any. This is not a complete team. Neither was last year's team.

But I'll say this one final time: Miami won the game Saturday. I get that. But even an objective fan can see that on a neutral field, Florida is the better of those two teams. We doubled their production offensively. Miami's defensive line was more physical than I expected it to be, but we still almost rushed for almost 200 yards-with an injured QB that we rely upon to open up other options in the run game.

You don't really believe that Miami is the better team. You're spending way too much time looking up stats to support a view you don't actually hold to. Why?
  5. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    I agree that we're a better team than UM. I thought that we were a better team than Georgia last year too... I think a lot of people's points this week have been that just because we are better, doesn't mean we will win. This is true with every team, but the fact that our offense is lacking for whatever reason, means that we're going to lose more than just one game we should have won... Great teams are dynamic, and can win in different ways when the normal way gets shut down. We don't have that, and there isn't a lot of confidence from me and others that we are going to have it anytime soon. We are a very good team, but we need consistency from our O before we can be a great team.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    Respectfully, in your O&B-shaded opinion. Miami may very well be MUCH better than we think. Gator fans assume we lost because the offense played their "F" game. Who knows? Maybe Miami's defense played their "F" game as well to allow Florida the 400+ yards? Too early to tell, and too early to presume that we played poorly while the Canes played out of their heads.

Much of this has to do with the SEC mindset, the absurd notion that a 7-win SEC team is better than a 9-win ACC team. It is demonstrable nonsense, of course, but it is permeated into the minds of many SEC honks. So Miami, who was only 7-5 last year, could not POSSIBLY any good. Why, if they were in the SEC, they would be a bottom-feeder. Which, of course, is nonsense.

I think Florida IS a better team, but Miami was the better team that day. The final analysis is Scoreboard, and there was never a Gator win where we said the other team was better (the closest I recall was the 2005 Vandy game).

Because this is a message board perhaps, where we discuss football, not just wave pom-pom's? I haven't been a Florida cheerleader fan since the 1980s. Allergic to Kool-Aid...

They made the plays when the HAD to. Not all teams do that. For example, against FAU in 2011, Florida threw three INTs. We outgained them almost 4-1 and won easily (41-3) because they couldn't move the ball.

Another example is our bowl game against Penn State. They outgained us by nearly 100 yards, yet they lost, 37-24, due to five INTs. Did our defense beat them, or did Penn State GIVE the game away? Y'see, it works BOTH ways. Did they even want to BE there?

Because I don't have the arrogant attitude that if Florida wins, it is because we are better, but if we lose, it is because we didn't want to be there or we gave the game away. That is loser tallk that completely disrespects the efforts of the other team. Even a loathesome rival like Miami.

Here is what invariably happens here:

* Prior to the game, Gator fans proudly predict that we will not only beat the rival, we will beat them by at least two touchdowns. The fans will point out all the highlights of our previous season, while pointing out the lowlights of their opponent. Florida's weaknesses will always improve, while the weaknesses of other opponents never improve; they simply suck. We confidently walk into the stadium, our alumni club (mine is in San Antonio), or at home, ready for the fulfillment of our ambitions.

* The game is played, and horror of horrors! The Gators lose or barely squeak by with a win.

* The aftermath is hellish, and usually goes by the following:

- We didn't want to be there (the Louisville excuse);

- Only conference games matter (the FSU excuse in the SOS era);

- It's only a bowl game (only when SOS and Meyer were the coaches)

* If none of the above...

- The coaching staff is blamed, and why not? We have more talent than virtually anyone else! Which coach gets blamed depends entirely on how revered the coach is. If the head coach is reviled, he is to blame for everything. If the head coach is adored, the hated coordinator gets the blame (Pruett, Hoke, Mullen, Addazio).

- The quarterback is next in line, and if his name was not Danny, Rex or Tim, he shoulders a lot of the blame by the fans. Other players like Kyle Jackson, Corey Bailey and Kestahn Moore also get blamed for losses;

- If that doesn't work, we love to blame biased officials. The last legitimate beef might have been the 2006 Auburn game (Leak's "fumble"), the 2004 Tennessee game (Bobby Moreau's PF call and clock stoppage), or The Swindle (no explanation needed). In the eyes of many fans, the officials are out to get us. Everyone hates the Gators but Gators!

Whatever the case may be, the hysteria will not be denied. Blame absolutely MUST be assigned, because it is simply inconceivable that the Mighty Gators just MIGHT have been beaten by a better team, even if for only that day. Human beings cannot be motivated at a fever pitch every game, and that is not always the coach's fault.

As I matured, I discovered that it is a lot more relaxing to the soul (not to mention classier) to simply acknowledge that the other team was the better team that day, and simply move on, rather than throw our coaches and players under the bus. I support them always, no matter what their resume says, and if the time comes for them to get fired (or benched), I react with sadness because I know they did everything they possibly could to make the Gators great. They simply didn't have enough, for a variety of reasons that may or may not have been their fault. Not everyone can be great, and greatness is NOT the minimum standard, any more than rings are the minimum standard. sometimes, an 8-5 year can be a good year if one looks at the variables that affect the outcome.

Like everyone else, I am a product of my experiences, and as an Army officer of 24 years, I have been drilled to look inward for anything that goes awry. It is considered very bad form to lash out and blame others for one's misfortunes, and such officers that do that do not have long careers. Rather than look inward and strive to improve, they are too busy blaming others, or blaming "the system."

We can survive this loss, move on, and still have a very good season. I still think we can go 10-3, but we probably will not go 13-1, and unless we have key injuries, I do not foresee a 6-7 season, either. A 13-1 season is NOt the minimum standard at Florida.