What some of you are missing...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    they?
    They live across the street from them. Adjacent to we. Just south of us.
  2. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    It should also be noted that those 80 yards came in quick succession (what was it, four plays?) against a defense specifically designed to "prevent" us from getting 80 yards in quick succession. If we had run the ball twelve times against a prevent defense then, yeah, those yards would be suspect.

In my opinion, Driskell and his receivers should get extra credit for those 80 yards.
  3. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    That comment was based off of what we saw on Saturday. Miami was not the better team on the field. Are they improved on defense? They appear to be. But we still moved the ball with ease for the majority of that game. And they did nothing offensively after the first quarter.

They could win every game on their schedule, and that still wouldn't change the fact that we dominated almost every aspect of that game.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    Did someone say CORRECTABLE????
  5. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Redzone scoring?
    Turnovers ?
    Scoring offense?

IMO, those are the stats that are the most important to an offense. So far we are poor in the redzone, turn the ball over frequently, and have few big plays to score when not in the red zone... The other stats may be great for fantasy football, but the object of offense is to score points.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Teams coach by Charlie Strong on defense are well known for being able to allow the opponents to move the ball freely "between the 20s," but somehow were less able to score. Opposing offenses always blamed themselves when they couldn't get the rock into the endzone. Look at the differences throughout our history since 2000:

Year--------------Total Defense-------Scoring Defense---------DC

2000...........................42d..........................29th.......................Hoke
    2001.............................9th...........................5th.......................Hoke
    2002...........................25th.........................31st.......................Thompson
    2003...........................51st.........................28th.......................Strong
    2004...........................42d..........................31st.......................Strong
    2005.............................9th...........................8th.......................Strong
    2006.............................6th...........................6th.......................Strong
    2007...........................41st.........................46th.......................Strong (the exception)
    2008.............................9th...........................4th.......................Strong
    2009.............................4th...........................4th.......................Strong
    2010.............................9th.........................29th.......................Austin
    2011.............................8th.........................20th.......................Quinn
    2012.............................5th...........................5th.......................Quinn
    2013.............................5th.........................25th.......................Durkin

It may very well have been by design for Miami to play the way they did...
  7. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Dude, you're implying that their plan of attack was to score fourteen points early in the game, and do absolutely nothing for the remaining three quarters? That their goal was for Duke Johnson to rush for less than 60 yards, and that it was by design for Morris to complete less than 50% of his passes. So they were happy with 212 yards of total offense?

Or does your theory apply specifically to what they were trying to do defensively? I don't ever remember suiting up for a single game where we worked it into the game plan for the opposing offense to roll up over 400 yards. Defensively our objective was to get the offense off the field. We wanted three-and-outs; not first downs "between the 20s".

Look, you can say whatever you want to. You can look up as many statistics as you feel necessary to support that we really weren't the superior team. But I'm going to tell you this again. We slapped Miami around after the first quarter of that game, and left a lot of points on the field. We made an art out of being inefficient in the red zone, and lost the game because of it.
  8. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    There isn't a defense in the world that thinks "let them get to our 20 yard line, then we'll really have 'em," nor have I ever heard that Charlie Strong was particularly adept at this. I'll pretend Ricky Nattiel told Dan Reeves of the brilliant strategy to let the Browns get to the goal line where Byner will surely fumble, then.
  9. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I think what he's trying to say is that Miami's strategy was to stack the box, keep one safety high to guard against the big play and then count on our offense self-destructing via penalty or turnover before it reached the endzone, all in all not a bad strategy against a team that is among the worst in America in penalties and hasn't been able to get a long TD play more than handful of times since Demps and Rainey left Gainesville.
  10. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Have people really never heard the concept of "bend, don't break" defense? And, yes, Charlie Strong was a strong believer of this concept.
  11. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    People often misunderstand what "bend but don't break" really means. The idea is generally to sit back in zone coverage, you want to prevent deep plays in the passing game, and that obviously forces the offense to be more methodical up and down the field. The objective isn't to let your defense be on the field the entire second half of the ball game, like Miami's was.

Miami gave up over 400 yards. They did nothing offensively. At times their defensive line controlled the line of scrimmage against a banged up Gator offensive line, but my point was that in no way shape or form did Miami show me that they were in any way superior.

Florida shot itself in the foot with turnover after turnover in the red zone. Very poor execution, and the injury to Driskel really took a huge part of what Florida likes to do away from us.
  12. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    And for the group of posters who are about to make a staunch argument in favor of the "fact" that Strong favored a "bend but don't break" philosophy, his players didn't seem to like that label. At least, not according to these quotes:

"No defense likes to hear that we're a bend-but-don't-break defense," defensive tackle Terron Sanders said. "One thing you would love to hear somebody say is that defense is a brick wall. Nobody can run through them, nobody can complete a pass. That would be one of the good goals that we have is not allowing so many yards, not allowing so many yards through the air."

"I feel like we have the talent to go three-and-out every series," Spikes said. "That bend-but-don't-break, sometimes that will get you in a hole, so we just try to go three-and-out."

And here was Charlie's take on it:

"We allowed people to drive the ball last year," defensive coordinator Charlie Strong said. "What we need to do is just go out there and be ready to play right from the start."

Oh yeah, the name of the article? "Defense out to shed 'bend-but-don't-break' label"

I'm sorry, I know I just killed it with this post. I can't help it. I'm a ace when I face the base. I'm jus sayin'........................
  13. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Wins and losses are only what matters in hindsight. Especially after the season.

However wins and losses do not predict future wins and losses and certainly is not a great indicator of skill. Stats do a far better job at predicting future results.
  14. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    This game just proved that the best team doesn't always win. Turnovers killed us and they were all our fault. The red zone is tough because the field is so compressed so it's up to the offensive coordinator to send in the right play and the players execute according to plan.
  15. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Yup. Going forward would you rather have Miami's team or Florida's?

Does anyone think Florida wouldn't be favored if they played again this Saturday?
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    I said nothing of the sort. that is their offense, and there is no discussion that our defense is superior. Next?

For years, particularly when we had a boatload of new starters, Charlie Strong preferred a bend but not break approach so that his newbies would not get burned by the big play. Instead, the plays would be before them. I've seen that from inexperienced defenses for years.

Scoreboard.

And the Miami defense had nothing to do with it?

* In 1997, we outgained LSU by 65 yards and lost;

* In 1998, Florida outgained Tennessee by nearly 200 yards - and lost in OT.

* In 2001, we outgained Auburn by a hundred yards - and lost.

I'll skip 2002-4 because we all know it was Zook's fault;

* In 2005, we outgained the Ball Coach by over a hundred yards, yet lost;

* In 2008, we gained nearly 200 more yards than did Ole Miss, yet we lost;

* In 2010, Florida State beat us by two TDs with only 95 yards gained.

Were we better than ALL those teams?

Conversely, there were several teams we beat that outgained us. we they really better or worse?

I think Florida has a better defense than Miami, and I also think Miami's offense is better than Florida's in spite of the yardage difference. Miami had to play our defense, while we only had to play Miami's defense.

But the hard truth is that in spite of going 11-2 last year ( which I loved, BTW), any fan that has taken his O&B glasses off and ground them into dust realizes that our team had HUGE holes. It was not a complete team. The only teams that won 10+ games a year with offenses ranked worse than 80th since 2000:

Year------Team----------------W/L Record-------Total Offense-----Total Defense

2002.............Notre Dame...............10-3...................108th............................13th
    2003.............Nebraska...................10-3.....................82d.............................11th
    2003.............Iowa..........................10-3.....................92d.............................16th
    2003.............Ohio State.................11-2.....................93d.............................10th
    2004.............Iowa..........................10-2...................101st............................11th
    2006.............Wake Forest..............11-3.....................96th............................12th
    2006.............Virginia Tech..............10-3......................99th..............................1st
    2007.............Virginia Tech..............11-3....................100th..............................4th
    2008.............Virginia Tech..............10-4....................103d................................7th
    2009.............Iowa..........................11-2......................89th............................10th
    2009.............Nebraska...................10-4......................99th..............................7th
    2010.............LSU............................11-2......................86th............................12th
    2011.............LSU............................13-1......................86th..............................2d
    2011.............Kansas St..................10-3....................101st.............................72d (!!!)
    2012.............USCe.........................11-2......................82d..............................11th
    2012.............Stanford....................12-2......................84th.............................20th
    2012.............LSU............................10-3......................85th...............................8th
    2012.............Florida........................11-2....................103d................................5th

You want to see a REAL coaching job? Look at what Bill Snyder did in 2011, winning ten games with a 101st ranked offense AND a 72d ranked defense.

As for Muschamp's coaching job last year, I think he did an amazing job coaching the Gators, considering how bad the offense was. But there were STILL holes that were large enough to drive an aircraft carrier through, and those holes may still be here.

Hence the cautious optimism, or the absention of wrist slashing when we stumble. We are not a complete team.
  17. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I'm not sure I get your humor here. Please explain.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I would not have said we should beat them 10 out of 10 times prior to the game, although I suspected we would match up with them very well.

After watching the game, I am convinced that we own the match ups against them, and should beat them any time we play them, as long as we don't beat ourselves with an excessive amount of turnovers and penalties.

But we did beat ourselves. And no doubt the team is sick over that. Maybe it will be a moment like the 2008 Ole Miss game for this team. We'll see.
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    We made mistakes, yes, but mistakes are a part of the game. Miami also made mistakes, to include:

* Miami had a punt blocked, and Florida recovered the ball on the Miami 10 yard line, facilitatinig an easy score.

* Morris threw an INT to Hargreaves, who returned it 23 yards into Miami territory;

Each team scored a TD from an extremely short field. Miami scored TDs from 50 and 82yard drives. Not all the scoring was from a short field.

Here's to hoping that Boom and the boys regroup for the Tennessee game. The SEC schedule is what matter more anyway. All Miami did was hurt our pride. Nothing more.
  20. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Nothing to explain.