What some of you are missing...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    At the end of the day, it's about wins and losses, not stats. At least that's what everyone said last yr. Spin it however you want but this is a "bad loss" to a team Florida should have beaten convincingly. Hopefully, there are better days ahead and UT pays a price for this give a way.
  2. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I agree that wins and losses are the only thing that matter. The thing that turned my stomach last Saturday, was that you never felt like Miami was in any way superior to this Florida team. It was a different feeling than the loss to Louisville, and felt very similar to how we all felt after Georgia beat us. Only the difference between the loss to Miami and the one to Georgia is that we were clearly better than Miami.

That was a tough game to watch.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ametcalf

ametcalf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I agree and well said. Whatever the problems are, they will get better. I believe this loss will help this team as they go forward, and we'll see a more refined product as the year progresses.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Spot on. Miami is a team we shoud beat every time we play them.
  5. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Yeah, I guess the Louisville loss didn't get the job done.
  6. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +566
    Ball security, execution.....COACHING (or lack thereof)

We want respect, need to go out and earn it. Stats are for losers, the only stat that counts is the final score and we lost to Miami, simple as that.

Beat Open Date!
  7. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    An odd game, for sure. Felt like were were dominating them after the first quarter, yet we kept turning it over. It's a testament to the defense that the game was even close. We moved the ball well most of the time, and I liked the play calling except for a few, albeit crucial ones, such as the QB run on fourth down instead of handing it off. But all of that would not have mattered had we not kept fumbling and throwing picks.

No time to panic. We have good coaches and good players, and an extra week to work stuff out.

Go Gators.
  8. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    If ball security was such a epidemic with this team, why was our turnover margin last year one of the best? Is it fair to only look at the games where we turned the ball over and lost and say we have a ball security issue?
  9. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Look at 2011 though we had issues then. whose to say last year is a better indicator of what the future holds than 2011?
  10. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    because that's the hot button issue right now that they can complain about. We had 6 vs UGA last year too
  11. nsbgator

nsbgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    You can teach ball security but with all the hold and rip and helmet on the ball tackling, fumbles are going to occur. Hopefully more with the other guys than us.
  12. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,423
    To be fair to Jeff, if you are going to run for 3 yards on 1st and 2nd down every time, odds are pretty good you're gonna pass on 3rd -- tough when the D knows that and can tee off.
  13. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    That's my take too. Of the five turnovers, only one was the result of a good defensive play....the hit on Jones and fumble. Still, even then if he had both arms around the ball to protect it he may of held on. The rest were the result of trying to do too much. When your in the RZ you have to get points, 7 is a lot better than 3 but at least get the 3! If option one and option two are not there, throw it out of the end zone.
  14. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    Don't know that his team finishes better than 8-4. At LSU, At SC, UGA, with more of this same offense? FSU at home will be tough, as Winston will have a full season under his belt.

My question is who are this team's on field leadership. Is there an Elam? Leadership within the ranks will be needed after this very deflating loss.

Optimism is nice, but 8-4 or 7-5 including another UGA loss, changes may be in the works before the ever-glorious "next year".
  15. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    No protection, receivers running routes into the same area. Driskel had the game of his life statistically, was hitting Patton and Dunbar on passes further than we'd ever seen under Muschamp. Jones tip toeing without any Herndon or Joyer or Taylor and little Brown, the stubborness to never stop running into the middle, the lack of options and roll outs with Driskel and Showers which were the best plays we had going on the running side of things. I can't bring myself to blame Driskel. Considering how he played last year, we should be able to win if Driskel plays like that.
  16. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Miami's 8-9 corner Blitzes proved that point!
  17. gators1422

gators1422 Member

Ratings Received:
    +55
    The problem of the team seems to be philosophy. To play a simple pro style pound it out offense is ok. It works if you have 2 things, 1 is superior coaching. Our system is pretty simple and attention to detail is very important. 2 is superior talent, at UF this shouldn't be a problem and I believe we have the talent. Obviously turnovers were the problem Saturday but if you choose to play the style of keep it close football that happens.
  18. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    We are getting better and better.
    We are close, but we have a long way to go.
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Oak, you may be right, but we really don't know this yet. It's too early in the season. For all we know, Miami may end up winning 12 games this year, and if they do, they will be among the toughest teams we play this year.

I hate Miami more than most here because I am old enough to remember our annual rivalry in the 1980s, when they were really Thug Central. But I was very wary of them prior to the game, and the outcome didn't sooth my concerns.
  20. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

Who is "they" out of curiosity?