What some of you are missing...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Look, we lost a game but in reality looking at the stats we were actually pretty impressive. Sure the turnovers cost us big time but I'm not so sure that is a trend that will continue. Offensively we doubled what Miami could do, Defensively we pretty much shut them down..and for those hating on Jeff..give me a break, his numbers were really good!

So here's my take, if all we need to do is learn how to hold on to the ball and read the secondary a bit better then we now have 2 weeks to do so. Do we need to learn how to play defense? NOPE! Is our offense inept? NOPE! If I could have foreseen a loss then it certainly wouldn't have been this game but I stand clear that this is not a bad loss when looking at the rest of our games. My only fear is that the team will ride a wave of momentum and win games and then towards the end of the year get a bit arrogant and forget why they came together. I predict that Miami will be our only loss of the year and we will play as if we have something to prove. This I have no problem asserting and one that I will definitely answer to if it doesn't happen. GO GATORS! RESPECT!
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,684
    Positive thinking?

Cane him! lol :wink:

Seriously though, I don't think it's so much "reading secondaries better", as we did pretty darn well throwing the ball between the '20's, it's about not being impatient and forcing things inside the red zone and maybe using some different play-call selections down there.

The field gets a lot shorter and it's easier for a fast defense to defend it in the RZ, and it's pretty obvious that Miami knew what we were going to do down there because they were dropping a lot of people back into coverage. We can't be so predictable.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    I agree the turnovers won't keep happening. However, I'm not sure how much it means that we put up all those yards against the UM defense. Going into the game most everyone agreed they would be somewhat improved due to experience but that they were still lacking talent.
  4. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    i think JD had his best game of his career until the ball got inside the UM 25, and then it turned into the uga game all over again. i agree that all of our games are win-able from here on out, with uga and usc's defense being suspect but until things change with driskel we won't get any better. he has the same problems as last year, won't throw the ball away, sits in the pocket way to long, doesn't go through progressions well, and tries to make the big play when all we need is the smart play.
  5. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    It's just about not forcing throws and doing a better job of locating the open man. It's also about guys not trying so hard to get that extra yard that they forget to take care of the football (like Jordan Reed against Georgia). Ball security is priority #1 when you are playing the style of ball that we do. If our defense plays the way they did last year and the first 2 games of this year, the only thing that can beat us is ourselves. Penalties and turnovers are our downfall.
  6. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    If I were the coach, and am sure most would agree, these are simple problems to fix. In fact they are so simple that I am sure they will be. Doesn't take too much to teach holding on to the ball or making decisions on the pass coverage. I just don't see the big deal and think most of the negative stuff is predicated on it being Miami we lost too. For me..losing to Georgia or FSU carries more weight. Going to be a fun season for sure and one that we will all be proud of! GO GATORS! RESPECT!
  7. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    You're right, it shouldn't be a problem, so why is it still a problem?
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    2012 Georgia game. We should have learned already.
  9. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    It should be noted that like 80 yards passing and the TD came against a prevent defense- its like counting EJ's run against us last year or when Blaine Gabbert stat pads in Jax.
  10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,819
    I think there may be some problems that are relatively easy to fix and some that aren't.

Do we have a kicker? A TE? And I've mentioned this in other threads, but I think JD's performance in the red zone and at the end of the game reflects him tightening up in situations he perceives as stressful. If that's the deal, it may not be so easy to fix that.

He has definitely improved over last year, though. Hopefully this is something he takes on successfully.

In the meantime, we do have a lot of team strengths, and potential to win out. We'll see.
  11. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Prevent defense is an oxymoron, but the yds and TD still count. Happens all the time.
  12. socraticsilence

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I honestly think a lot of Jeff's issues would be helped by opening the offense up in low pressure situations and letting him get some game reps throwing the ball down the field, instead of only doing so when we're trailing. That said I fully expect us to just run the clock and sit on any leads we get from here on out.
  13. socraticsilence

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Right and EJ torched us for a 30 yard TD run.
  14. ufrc86

ufrc86 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I wasn't able to watch the game until yesterday due to being out of town. After reading everything on here and in the media I assumed we played like dogs. After watching the replay I have to say I thought absent the turnovers we played pretty damn well. We ran up and down the field on them, just had brain farts inside the 20s. Defense was lights out. We are going to win some games this year. Will we win the NC or maybe event the SEC? No, and I had no expectation that we woud this year. 2014 is our year. Write it down.
  15. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Correct.
  16. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,634
    Or...we weren't going to go undefeated this year and now we got our brain fart game over early in the season and not in a divisional game. If we adapt then everything is still in play.

I said if.
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +723
    Take away 80 yards, and Driskel still has 211 yards passing, a number he beat only once last season (219 yards passing against Tennessee).

Ouch, even with the picks, he ended with a passer rating of 138, better than 7 of his games last year. Apparently Driskel was pretty terrible in 2012.
  18. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Jeff's only problem (not that it's an insignificant one) is knowing when to stay in the pocket and try to complete the pass, when to forget the pass and run, when to stay in the pocket but throw the ball OB when the receivers are covered, and when to run OB. He seems determined to become a pocket QB, probably because that's what the coaches have asked him to be, and that's fine. But he can't stand there in the pocket all day and take a sack or throw into coverage just because he's supposed to be a pocket passer.
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,678
    I wonder if all the hoopla surrounding Tebow's style of play killed Option #3 (throwing the ball OB)? Leak would do that all the time, yet it grated on fans that he never tried to gain yards on EVERY play. I think I saw Tim throw the ball OB twice, and I watched every game he played.

Part of being in a prostyle offense is to have the patience to check off receivers and wait, and if nothing opens up, simply and calmly throw the ball away. We haven't seen much of that in the last decade outside of the Leak years...
  20. newmexicogator

newmexicogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I am sorry- if ball security is easy to teach then I would say our coaches are inept at what they do! why did this team not learn about ball security after the Uga loss last year, Louisville loss and now Miami?