What Routine Are You Doing These Days ?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Mar 13, 2014.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,495
    A few people still play but yeah I understand it was a big sport in the 80s.

When I got to UF there were so many remnant racquetball courts I couldn't help but try and then I loved it. And there was a pretty big racquetball community when I was in school.

When I lived in NY after graduation I found tons of people who played at gyms.
  2. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Monday: Lift "heavy". 5/3/1 Squat, 5/3/1 OHP, pull ups or chin ups, lunges
    Tuesday: Pilates
    Wednesday: 8 rounds of Tabata with various exercises
    Thursday: Lift "heavy". 5/3/1 Bench, 5/3/1 Deadlift, good mornings, rows
    Working Fridays (every other week): 8 rounds of Tabata with various exercises
    Off Fridays: Off
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

Like Dream, I also have a pull up bar hung in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room. I will do 3-5 pull ups at random as I walk back and forth. Or swing from it, or do a flip, or something else equally childish and probably stupid.
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Oh-no, the dulcet tones of gymnastics are wooing me again.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    In auspicious (re)beginning for gymnastics. Splintered my coffee table falling during a particular movement. I'm considerably better off than the coffee table.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    I'm experimenting with hollow-body pullups. They are extremely challenging in that you pull with the lats and very little else. Idea is to round upper back rather than arching it. Feet are forward, not backward. Pull straight up and down. Try it and report findings!
  6. Sohogator

Sohogator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    I'm not very organized I lift and do core 2 days a week, do p90x yoga one day a week and bike 2 days a week
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    I've been doing pullups, pushups and one-legged squats everyday, no exceptions. Up to about 35 pullups a day and I'm as jacked as ever (for a skinny guy). Do heavy goblet squats, barbell deadlifts, military press, dumbbell rows, etc., sparingly, never working to failure. This is high-frequency training and poles apart from what I've been accustomed to in the past.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Went hog-wild today and amassed something like 70 reps of pullups by mid-afternoon. That's enough of the rep-apalooza strategy. Will probably take the weekend off and resume with something a little more moderate and slightly more structured.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Took measurements this morning and results are startling. I ate like a horse during the 33 days of the program, yet lost 1/2 inch off waist. Here's the amazing part: 1 1/2 inches on my chest! I attribute that to a sh**load of pullups and pushups. Also added approx 3/4 inches to biceps and 1/2 to thighs. Didn't measure neck but it looks a bit larger.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Further thoughts ...

The answer to the question "Can you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time ?" Yes.

To the question, "Do you need to diet to markedly improve the way your body looks ?" No.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Day of 40 of PLP. By far, farthest I've gotten. That's 39 pullups, 39 pushups, 39 one-legged squats on Day 39, then 40 of each on Day 40 and so on ...

Have been mixing grips on pullups, occasionally using a weight-belt. Mostly standard pushups, mix in plyos here and there. Mostly rear-knee-touching one-legged squat as it is easier on the knees than the pistol.

Throughout I've been keeping up my deadlift and also throwing in some moderately heavy, basic movements, though nothing remotely close to failure. Ex: did quick mini-circuit of dumbbell floor press, row and goblet squat. Tomorrow may do a few overhead presses, maybe some high-pulls.

Have also gotten in a pretty good bit of walking and occasionally jog up hills.

And somewhat stiff and sore, especially in the shoulders, but this strategy has yielded unbelievable (for me) results.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    PLP always runs me down. I have tried it twice and both times gotten beat up and called it quits somewhere in the 30s. I really want to finish it and will have to give it another shot at some point down the line.
  13. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,890
    PLP just sounds tiring.

I've been on a cut and doing a total bro routine.

Just a 3 day A/B Press/Bench routine. 3x3 then tons of assistance work like 3x10 DB press or incline with 3xF chins, curls, dips, ab wheel, etc. Also doing HIIT 2x/week and LSD 1x/week. I'm now just under 15% (I'm guessing) would like to be around 10-12. I have this planned for 3 more weeks.

Vain. I know, but F it. I've been working hard on strength, and I'd like to show it off a little. I'll pudge out a little w/ football season!
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    It does have me feeling a little baked, but it hasn't been nearly as grueling as anticipated. I don't work remotely close to failure and do most of the stuff in clusters throughout the day.

I may shortly transition to something like what you're doing, but PLP has me feeling like I'll want to do at least a little something every day.
  15. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    Tapering for IM Texas next Sat. 8 months of nearly all aerobic cardio has me leaner than I have been in 25 years but my upper body strength is gone, with the exception of lats and triceps from swimming. Thighs are notably bigger from long bike sessions.

Looking forward to hitting the weights after the race. PLP might be a great way to start up strength training again.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    It might be. You can actually start with one rep the first day and go from there. Or you could be slightly more ambitious and start with ten. Bear in mind that it's probably better for hypertrophy than for strength, which is why I never stopped doing a little bit of heavy stuff, albeit just a little.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Uh-oh, back into gymnastics again. Just something about it that I find gratifying.
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Started working again so time is limited. Practice handstands five minutes a day. Alternate static holds and dynamic movements Mon-Fri. Maybe deadlift on Sat. Workouts take about 15 mins. Try to make them count.
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Gonna give Bret Contreras' new powerlifting program 2x4 a try for a little while.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    I'm definitely hooked on high frequency training. At least more frequently than three days a week. And total body training at that. A push, pull and legs each time out.