what is your take on this race incident in Tn?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Sep 13, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    1. What the customer did was racist, etc but well within the person's right to free speech(IMO)
    2. I believe the employee was rightfully fired for breaking company policy.
    3. Tend to believe Al Sharpton, and others will be trying(wrongfully IMO) to claim that the firing was racist against the employee and attempt to force the company via media to re-hire the person or pay her damages, etc

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09/12/red-lobster-suspends-waitress-who-received-none-nr-as-a-tip/

I'm a lib dem and stand by my opinion

mods please move to 'too Hot for Swamp Gas'
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. ga8or22

ga8or22 Eventis sultorum magister. VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001
    Red Lobster lost me as a customer - what a bunch of A**'S
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I'm very liberal. However, I believe that employees are bound to abide by company policy of their employer.

The waitress was airing grievance against a customer. If she had a grievance against the customer she should have taken it to her boss, instead she chose to willfully violate company policy.

waiters, waitresses, nurses, nursing aids, gas pump attendants(if any still exist), fast food restaurant employees, etc are frequently the target of jerks(racist and otherwise) during the course of their work.

time or the waitress to thicken her skin instead of playing victim(which she was ...of the customer).

Chances are the racist customer is laughing his(or her) ass off right now because the waitress got fired.

Best things to do if dealing with such jerks in the course of work----
    ----thank God you're not a $#%#%%# like the other person
    ----make arrangement with co worker so that they take the customer next time(white waitresses and black waitresses in many restaurants will trade customers)...and there isn't anything the racist customer can do about it)
  4. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Are we recruiting this chick?
    WTF is this doing in the recruiting forum?
  5. 1gatorbear

1gatorbear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Not surprised to see this on our board.
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +733
    "Alex...I'd like to buy a clue for $1000." (or, in your case, it would probably cost more.) Red Lobster was already in serious trouble...I will never spend another dime in one of their stores...not a huge loss.
  7. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Old, not all speech is free. Certain forms of offensive speech aren't protected. And she wasn't fired she was suspended.

I'm sure Red Lobster has a thousand policies and if they look hard enough they could find daily violations that aren't actionable. This one shouldn't have been either

In this case they should have backed their employee b/c the customer was despicable.

By the way, it was a credit card receipt and you can clearly see his name.
  8. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,143
    I stopped going there years ago when it was revealed they were contributing to the deaths and maiming of Nicaraguan lobster divers, however in recent years they have made significant efforts and led movements to stop diving for lobsters altogether as a matter of health and social justice. Whether they did it because of the bad press or a good heart is anyone's guess. I'm just glad they're doing it. Their owners Darden (also own Olive Garden) are on the surface at least making a big push for sustainable seafood, which I support wholeheartedly and again, not sure if they are doing it out of altruism or just smart business sense (there can be no seafood restaurant if there is no seafood left), but I'm just glad they're doing it.

However, Darden (along with some other seafood industry giants) also controls the Global Aquaculture Alliance which rubber stamps the quality and origin of most of the seafood served at Red Lobster. So there is really no telling if that endless shrimp dinner came from pristine Atlantic waters or some filthy Asian factory fish farm. So eating there is a complete roll of the dice.

As for this incident, corporate policy can always have exceptions under special circumstances. And since it wasn't the employee who even broke the policy - it was her dad by proxy - I would think there could have been an exemption in this case without any negative impact to the company's discipline structure.
  9. FLIPCUP

FLIPCUP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    Scout has her at 4 stars.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I do not like red lobster...their sea food is disgusting... but the waitress broke store policy. She was insulted...big deal. Throw it away and move on with your life. What were we all taught as kids..two wrongs do not make a right. The customer was wrong....what the waitress did was wrong. She got caught and faces the consequences. Suck it up and move on.
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,022
    Anecdotal racism in this one case is well overblown. I go the Red Lobster all the time and I will continue to do so in the future. I want to know where the anger and disgust is when News agencies post that black violence against whites (real physical racism) is happening 8 times more often than the other way around.

This is one person (waitress) trying to involve the entire country (posting it on the web) because of what one A-hole did that was stupid, hateful and wrong. I would fire her if I were Red Lobster.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Yes you're correct, but I think the gist of the article was that the recipient of a racial attack was the one being punished. It is the belief that their action will hurt business despite the fact that they're suspending her with pay.
  13. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    How do they know she was not a horrible waitress who was arrogant herself? I have has waitresses I wanted to call lots of names before because of how they acted.
  14. gator1986

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I don't get how it is a racial attack? Did the letters pop off the paper and punch her?
  15. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    As a mature adult I think you would have just put a zero on the line marked "tip," or you would have asked to speak to the manager.
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,022
    I was just getting ready to edit my post to add that, 86. This is what I think probably prompted that dude to write such nonsense on the receipt in the first place. I've been angry at servers before too, but I'd never ever write something like that on a receipt.
  17. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    That would be defined as a hate crime.
  18. gator1986

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Very true, but how things have panned out over this last year I do not think anyone will be getting managers any time soon. I believe the race wars, very unfortunately, have just began.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gator1986

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Yea I do not agree at all with this guy doing this, but something had to of happened.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,672
    Work for Darden and you will find out how they feel about their employees. They will throw them under a bus in a New York Second. I don't eat at any of their restaurants. And no, I never worked for them but I do have firsthand experience of what they will do with long-term employees when it comes to backing them or some customer with a chitty attitude.
    • Like Like x 2