What is your argument to convince a Repubilcan to vote Dem

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Jun 30, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    have at it.....bring forth your best convincing argument to convince a Republican to vote Democrat

I should have posted this in here before the first sarcastic response to the thread

I see a lot of personal attacks, hateful/vindictive comments on this board directed towards posters other political parties/point of view. Great to get your jollies and rally your base. But does little to do what really matters. Namely attract people to your point of view. Here's your chance to put forth your best arguments. And if you have been posting personal attacks towards people of different point of view. Why should those you've been attacking in such a way trust your argument?

It is easy to see that posters of other point of view will attempt to post vindictive sarcastic comments. That though really takes away from the likelihood of convincing others to your point of view.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    easy---work less, get lots of free government stuff
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Part of my argument to convince Reps, Libertarians, Tea Party, independents to switch to Dem is that our party strives to refrain from the personal attacks at those of differing points of view that typify the GOP, Tea Party, Libertarian actions towards those with different point of view. Democrat party has drifted from the ultla lib end of the Dem in recent years in regard to being willing to respect others points of view and work with those of differing points of view towards solutions that are bst for our country and acceptable, even liked by majority of Americans...be they Dem, GOP, Libertarian, Tea Party, independent, etc

Despite what others might say, economically we as a country are already better off than we were when GWB left office following 8 years of GOP dominance in Congress and GWB. This despite efforts by obstructionists in congress. Obama got positive things done within the means at the disposal of any POTUS---bully pulpit and exec orders. I myself truly wish that opposition was not obstructionist. But that they would be willing to work towards solutions that include equal amounts of compromise from both sides. The obstructionist credo of 'my way or the highway' has resulted in a country feeling like road kill from all the 'gotcha politics' by pols when we as Americans desire that Washington politicians stop their BS power games for the good of the country.

It takes both sides to work together.

I would like to see GOP, Tea Party, etc vote Dem. But more than that I would like to see them stay in their party and vote for politicians in their own party who believe in working together instead of working against.
  4. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    This and have your neighbor pay for your free chit.

Essentially, this has become the national democratic message.

And..."The rich need to pay their fair share."

And the lemmings lap it up because they do not think It will affect them. We all saw the you tube videos after Obama was elected. He's going to pay my mortgage and my groceries and give me health care and pay for my birth control and pay for my babies if I forget and pay for my Obama phone. Interviewer: And where is the money coming from? Voter- "His stash".
  5. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Go have a lobotomy...
  6. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Please read the first part of your statement regarding personal attacks. Do you not read. Every opponent Obama has ever run against got raked over the coals personally...including Hillary. Do you not remember the attacks against Palin in 08. The demo machine descended on Alaska and interviewed her grade school teachers trying to dig up dirt.

Do not insult the intelligence of those of us who are not wearing Obama knee pads.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    We are better off $16 trillion in debt and counting? And the party that enables this at a higher rate is the better party...

You can't make this stuff up...
  8. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +669
    Economy and the change in the party to be for multi-national corporations instead of Americans as a whole.
  9. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    You do of course realize that you and our President fail miserably in this area. Democrats seem to talk a good game until someone disagrees with them. Their idea of compromise seems very one sided. Democrats seem all about division. If you disagree with a Democrat you must be a racist or part of the one percent or any number of devisive labels you and other Democrats like to label those that disagree with your point of view. Very ironic yet again that you would start a thread like this.
  10. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    ^^^^^this^^^^^
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    please re-read my post. I did not say, as you are trying to insinuate that Dems don't lower themselves to doing personal attacks. We tend to 'strive' not to. That means we see personal attacks as wrong and don't want to resort to such tactics ourselves. We are also honest enough to admit that our parry does do such things and that we must 'strive' to not do it. In other words turn the other cheek when GOP does it to Dems. But turning but choosing to, and carrying thru with wearing gloves while other side is sucker punching with brass knuckles is hard to do without lowering oneself to using brass knuckles.

Your accusing me of saying Dems don't do such things is just the sort of low road, low character attack that typifies so many ultras(both lib as well as con)

In terms of conduct regarding personal attacks that is just the reason why I desire moderates and independents to join the DEM party. So that dem party can be less heavily handed influenced by ultra libs who readily use such tactics. But to attract moderates/independents we as a party have changed our platform in recent years and mostly/lived by that platform and that is why moderates/independents chose Obama over Romney.

It is sad so many cons are unable to present arguments to attract people to their party. Or if they do present their platform they can't leave it at that without resorting to personal attacks.

Why don't you post what should attract Dems, libertarians, etc to vote GOP in the other thread. Is it because GOP just isn't that attractive to people of even slightly differing point of view due to the vindictiveness of so many in GOP towards those with even slight different point of view..You seem to be hell bent on repelling people from coming to your side. But that's your choice.
  12. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Here you go old. You will not like this:

Republican Party stands for:

Our Constitution
    Judges who follow the above
    Bill of Rights
    Sanctity of Human Life
    Marriage between Man and a Woman
    Smaller, less intrusive Government
    Low Taxes
    Strong Military
    Reducing Debt
    Balanced Budget
    Reform and preserve SS and Medicare
    Equal Opportunity for all
    Freedom
    Free Speech
  13. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    I read your post and I have read many other of your posts which is why I posted what I posted. Not certain how to break this to you but you do not post anything like you are trying to represent yourself and your party on this thread. You are one of the most devisive and labelling posters we have.
  14. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    So I should avoid making comments like "circle jerk" when people post views that differ from mine?
  15. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,847
    • Like Like x 1
  16. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    [​IMG]
  17. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    'strive' means making effort to do something, not that perfection has bbeen achieved in regrds to the goal. I recognize that such tactics are wrong. Adn that I do fall into doing such things at times. but I do make consicous effort to not cross the line and to not use it as a primary tool in discussions. At least that I am willing to look at myself as well as others. It appears that majority of bashers tend to look at others and not themselves.

Downeast--hate to break it to you--

Democratic Party stands for:

Our Constitution
    Judges who follow the above
    Bill of Rights
    Sanctity of Human Life
    Marriage between Man and a Woman
    Smaller, less intrusive Government
    Low Taxes
    Strong Military
    Reducing Debt
    Balanced Budget
    Reform and preserve SS and Medicare
    Equal Opportunity for all
    Freedom
    Free Speech

Both parties claim to same sort of thing but differ in where it draws the line. What determines where line is drawn(moderates in the party or ultras, etc)
    Dems believe in marriage between man and woman. Also believes same social rights should apply to gay and lesbian marriages. That people are free to abide by their religion's stance for their own marriage. But that religions should not dictate what constitutes marriage to people of other religions or no religion. Evidently in this area GOP stands for freedom for some but not gays/lesbians.

There are other differences despite both parties claim to same general stance on platform issues.

I happen to beleive platform issues are an area the two parties can and should compromise. That these things are platform issues, etc but not in the spiritual sense 'principles'(principles subeing such things as honesty, faith, justice, service, love, hope, integrity, etc). Spiritual principles should not be compromised. But in dealing with social issues, etc the platform issues are certainly areas in which compromise can be achieved.
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,848
    It won't change anything, and you can vote as often as you like.
  19. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    My fiance is a democrat and god have mercy on her soul, but her dad is a radical left winger and we argue all the time. We were discussing the voter ID law stuff and she brought up the democrats number one tool, Racism. I asked her how it was racist and she couldn't provide any substance to the argument except the Democrats playbook play number one that it stops the poor and black folks from voting.

I asked her why is it that you and your dad always bring up that the Republicans are racist? she said "well they don't cater to the minorities"

I brought up that its most likely never the republicans that bring up race in political discussions, yet the Democrats always do. For instance last night we were talking about nothing to do with race and sure enough she brought up race.

Why is it that the democrats always want to bring up race? Are they ashamed of the old past? or are they upset that the KKK was started by democrats?

any time the republicans put anyone foward that isn't white the democrat chicago machine rolls them over for touching someone on the head and saying that they're about as tall as thier wife and get the guy punted for sexual harrasment yet they idolize a guy in Clinton who cheated on his wife while in office and lied about it. Or they idolize a tool that cheated on his wife and fathered a bastard child while his wife is going through cancer treatments.

Seems like the democrats try to preach morallity until it comes to them and what they want to do, then its "we know whats best for you and the rich need to pay more"
  20. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    The problem is that a strong military isn't cheap and we've spent more than we bring in on it so something has to give.

the last two presidents have been a disaster for this country. in Bush's second term the democrat grandstanding started, they wanted the economy to bad for everyone to pin it on Bush to seal their win. The Republicans acted like children and grandstanded since the beginning. However they were trying to stop things that the country didnt want like ACA, but the Dems decided that they knew best and forced it down our throats. If they didn't get their way they would use exec. orders to do it. screw due process the dems said.

then they couldn't agree on a budget so the dems instead of cutting things that would matter they decided to cut things that would hurt the american population so they can try to pin it on the Republicans.