what is your argument to convince a Dem to vote GOP

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Jun 30, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    have at it.....bring forth your best convincing argument to convince a Dem to vote Republican.

Should have added the following before the sarcastic, vindictive comments pop up.

I see a lot of personal attacks, hateful/vindictive comments on this board directed towards posters other political parties/point of view. Great to get your jollies and rally your base. But does little to do what really matters. Namely attract people to your point of view. Here's your chance to put forth your best arguments. And if you have been posting personal attacks towards people of different point of view. Why should those you've been attacking in such a way trust your argument?
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Depends on their age. Old demos are like old dogs or Oldgators...uncoachable.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    funny how the first two responses to my threads regarding convincing others to join their political party have come from cons who immediately do what they can to repel others from coming to their point of view by making personal attacks on person of opposing point of view..

My argument to convince GOP and others to vote Dem is in the other thread. It is truly sad that cons just can't seem to refrain from personal attacks
  4. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Seems to me that demos should be axing themselves the same question:

President Democratic

Senate Democratic 55-45

House of Representatives Republican 234-201

Governor Republican 30-19-1

Majority in Upper Legislative Chamber Republican 30(c)-18-2(f)

Majority in Lower Legislative Chamber Republican 28-21

It seems democrats are trying to give Pubs advice when in actuality Pubs control everything but Presidency and Senate. And if a black guy ain't running on the democratic ticket in 2016....uh oh. Perhaps you guys will nominate a transvestite that the media can rally around.
  5. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    old, many of us read comments by you and others and who are so smitten with Obama and the status quo, it would be the last thing any of us do to vote democratic.

Why would we vote for a party who is clearly for larger, more intrusive government, whose constituents are clearly addicted to government welfare and want more, whose leaders are not supportive of our military (pay lip service but deep down despise), whose leaders are charitable with our money but not their own. I can go on and on.

WHAT ONE DOES THUNDERS SO LOUDLY I CANNOT HEAR WHAT THEY SAY.

Is there a democratic politician out there that I admire? I'd have to think real hard on that one. I'm sure there is but none come to mind. Lets see... Corrine Brown...uh no. Bill Nelson...uh no. Mayor of Jax-Alvin Brown...we were hopeful but he has been a disappointment. Debbie Wasserman Schultz...paleeease. Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi---god awful. Obama...a freaking joke.
  6. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    your us vs them attitude is truly sad. Most libs/Dems are willing to work with those who we might not like, might not admire, might not even personally respect. But we will put aside our own egos for the good of the country.

You cited economics---myself and many Americans are better off now than at the end of 8 years of GOP policy during GWB admin. I don't believe in handouts, etc so in many ways I am more con than lib in that area. But I also view the individual person as a person and don't look on a corporation as 'a' person with the rights of a person. I view corporations as groups of people. That corporations can do either great good or great harm. But that like individual people who get too much power, corporations tend to do great harm if they aren't held accountable. We believe individual people can do great good or great harm. And who a person does great harm we seek that that person is held accountable. I see ultra cons on this board as having an attitude that corporations are good, not harmful, and that corporations won't suffer from same human vices as govt. I differ.

In regard to military. For some reason on election Day more voters in military voted for Dems than GOP.

In regard to your citing the GOP majority in the house. please note that it GOP has a gerrymander mandate in the house and not a popular mandate. More people voted Dem in House of Rep elections nationally than voted for GOP reps. Due to the govs you mentioned (as well as state legislatures) gerrymandering congressional districts the GOP has a gerrymandered mandate in the U.S. House of Reps. I'm not crying foul over GOP having a gerrymandered mandate---that's politics as well as the will of voters in those states when they gave means to GOP to gerrymander the districts. But be honest, House of Rep majority of GOP is not truly reflective of the majority of voters nationally.
  7. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    Second amendment that protects the first and all other rights.
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +487
    Of course the dems will work with pubs. Their only frustration is that pubs slow down their spending. But pubs are all about the spending and power as well. Just not to the degree of dems...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Where would I even start? OMG. I just about spit up my coffee. Why should I even bother? And your comment about the military...not even close.
  10. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    Repubs believe in personal responsibility as oppossed to dems that believe in universal responsibility. One means you take care of your self. The other means you either take care of everyone else or you let everyone else take care of you.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    thank you for correcting me about the military vote.

you mocked the rest of my psot so here are the 3 other matter in my other post that you seem to have issue with.

are you trying to say GOP had more popular vote nationally in House of Rep elections--GOP had fewer votes. The GOP majority in the House is due to gerrymandering.

are you saying I'm not better off financially than during GWB admin? I assure you my wife and I are. We did not suffer in GWB admin but we are better off now by a bit. We don't make reckless investments or take out loans. So we did not get burned as badly as many did in the GWB years.

are you saying that GOP does more sincere and effective job at working with others of differing point of view and be willing to compromise for the common good? Why not check with who the independents and moderates are working with. The Gang of 8....are members of both parties. It sure seems their efforts are more often getting shot down by the GOP House than getting shot down by Obama/Dems
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,933
    First I would ask them why they vote dem- once I had an understanding of their politics and their reasoning then and only then could I mount an argument to try and change their mind- but politics can be very strange- I have a good friend who is extremely conservative on almost every issue yet he still votes dem
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    Had a buddy who read the NY Times while listening to Rush. Too many think you must follow all tenets to be one way or the other.
  14. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Your
    "Repubs believe in personal responsibility as oppossed to dems that believe in universal responsibility. One means you take care of your self. The other means you either take care of everyone else or you let everyone else take care of you."

Is not true of myself and a lot of Dems.

I happen to believe strongly in personal responsibility(see my posts in threads dealing with food stamps, inner cities, poverty, etc). I also believe in taking care of others FOR the good of people and the country. I don't view it as an either one or the other. I believe it should be both. Where I draw the line in helping others is that they must be doing what they can for themselves and only then if they are still hurting should help from others kick in. I differ greatly from ultra libs and from ultra cons on this . What you described in my opinion is the stance of ultra cons vs ultra libs.

The 'you have to choose one or the other' is a trait of both children as well as people with the us vs them attitude. Mature people as well as those who strive to work together with others tend to know that in many instances you can have both if you are willing to make it work.

Growing up my older brother told me to pick between two things I wanted and that I could have only one. My parents saw what was happening and said...'If you really want both and you can only get one now you should work to make it possible for you to have both)

I believe in having my cake and eating it too....

And that me being personally responsible for myself and to help others is to my benefit...as well as theirs ...as well as my community...as well as America

That responsibility to both self and others is what America's pioneers did, Boy Scouts are taught to do, military do, Church's do, other religions do, etc. It seems the only entity you don't want to be involved in that is our govt. Yet I read how many of you want our govt to be more like religion and practice Christian principles. At the heart of Christianity are many principles and selflessness is certainly regarded higher than selfishness.

In America's early years as colonies then as a nation a person took care of himself. But is a new person arrived in town the able bodied people would all join the newcomer to build his home. If a person's home burned down that person did not re build it by himself. the folks of his community automatically and selflessly showed up to help rebuild that house. As towns got a bit bigger and things like schoolhouses, churches, etc were needed folks still were willing to hep and many towns had informal govts with a main person in that town who coordinated efforts for such building of buildings to be an organizer. Might I daresay...a community organizer. It was only after things started getting bigger and bigger in terms of town and city size that for profit entities became more prevalent as there was money to be made. And that is good as things were built that needed major outlays of money and resources. But at the same time the community spirit started to fade away in America. I happen to believe that it all shouldn't be left to either corporations OR govt coordinating community efforts. I believe that corporations and govt(community spirit) both are important and not having one or the other would be detrimental.
  15. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +7,933
    and it is great you feel that way old and I applaud you-my issue comes when you think(and I do not necessarily mean you directly but the libs in general) think you have the right to decide what I do for others and how much money is fair for me to make and how I should be forced to give it to others who do not earn it
  16. mkpulley1

mkpulley1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    To me its not about one or the other. The answer is ALWAYS in the middle. Many or most of oldgator's post on here I totally disagree with, however listening to the synopsis of his belief system I agree with most of it. Funny how we can greatly detest one another on hot topic issues but we can have similar belief systems. People will never agree on all things, the only way this country will work is to have more than a two party system, put the country first , not party's , this will only be achieved through term limits.
  17. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I thin a beter way to look at it---is that we each...you, me, others vote on the matter. That we vote for representatives who will hopefully do what is the most good for everyone with little or no negatives. Or that the negatives be equally shared.

It appears that you want a chinese menu....
    that you only pay for what you want and none of the other items. But how likely is a country to survive that method. Think about it

What is better way(in my opinion) is that we are at a pot luck dinner. We are each responsible for contributing a meal. As a result of providing a pot luck item each person who brings in a pot luck meal for others to partake of gets to partake of any or all items at that buffet table. Of course there will be some who eat more than others but I have rarely seen a pot luck dinner in which each person went away hungry and had the opportunity to benefit from the wider assortment of foods than he would have had at regular restaurant. To prevent person's from abusing the potluck dinner have servers provide a portion from whatever food pot a person wants to try.
    Right now govt is really screwed up in regard to servers. But is that reason to dump govt? or is it a matter of getting servers who don't cheat in favor of one group or another.
  18. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +7,933
    Old- contribute to your hearts content- my problem is that dems want to tell me who to contribute to and how much to contribute
  19. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Old, I've said before that most of your views "tilt" towards the conservative side. I'm sure you'd agree that the Democratic Party IS the party of entitlement. While the Great Society attempted to address the problems of black matriarchal society, unfortunately it has resulted in a dependent culture that has spread and become a cancer on society (not just black). Pay someone NOT to work and they don't. Where's the incentive when you are receiving subsidized housing, food stamps, AFDC and free health care? When you are paid not to marry the father of your children.

LBJ is quoted after passing the GS he'd have the black society voting Democratic until the year 2000. Obviously he didn't go far enough. We've spent trillions and trillions on poverty and the problem not only hasn't been solved it's gotten worse. Instead of being a "hand up" it's become a "hand out" and the Democratic Party derives it's power from growing government.

Would you agree that part of the Dem strategy is "Don't vote for Pubs. They'll take your stuff away?"

The Bible teaches that we are to help the orphans and widows (the unfortunate). Pubs are not heartless and agree. But the Apostle Paul continued to work during his Missions (he was a tent maker) to give an example to Christians telling them "If you don't work, you don't eat."

Would you not agree that millions and millions work the system. Perhaps it's time to require community service for those who receive entitlements who are not physically or mentally handicapped.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    From a libertarian the question I always ask:

Why are you(liberals) entitled to the fruits of my hard work/labor?
    • Like Like x 1