What is the Primary purpose of the Ten Commandments?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatormb, May 6, 2014.

1. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Given the obvious rejection of Christ by Soho and Richmond what would your advice to them be in the spirit of "love thy neighbor"? Currently are they "condemned" or not?

Do you care?
  2. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    I would say that you have incorrectly interpreted Romans 8:2. Yes, Jesus blood has "freed" the Christian from the ultimate penalty of sin, but it does not stop the Christian from having to suffer a penalty for sin. If the Christian were no longer under the Law, then nothing would be a sin for them. Just because that one verse seems to state otherwise does not mean it is so. Look at the rest of Pauls' teachings, especially Corinthians (both books). A Christian is still subject to the Law for sin, but will no longer suffer the ultimate penalty of hell. That does not mean that they will not be held accountable for the sins they commit.

I refer you to Revelations, where John states that Jesus will judge the Christian for the crowns (in other words, rewards) they will be bestowed in Heaven. I don't have my Bible handy right now, or I could also find verses that would establish that the Christian will still receive a punishment for any sin that is committed, even if the sin is forgiven. Again, Paul and Timothy both spoke on this subject.
  3. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    That is not considered His 2nd coming by any Judeo-Christian religion, as even Jesus stated that He would return and would be coming to judge, not to redeem.
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Then every Judeo-Christian religion is wrong on that particular point. Even skeptics recognize that Jesus and his disciples prophesied his return in their lifetimes. I infer from scripture and history that he did.
  5. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Jesus never stated that He would return in the apostles lifetime. He specifically stated that "no man knows" when He will return, so they need to live as if it would be within their lifetime.
  6. richmondgator81

richmondgator81 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    If he didn't care, would you judge him for it?
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Clear as day in this and many other passages: Matt 16:27-28

Bear in mind that in the same sermon in which he said "the day nor the hour" ... he expected them to know the season! He told THEM to flee to the hills when they saw the Romans encircling the city.
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +474
    Many things that God said not to do was to protect us from harm. Even adultery can be harmful even if you don't believe in God.
    Jesus never stated when he would return.
  9. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Do I disagree? I don't disagree with the fact there were blood sacrifices in the Temple that were considered to be "sin offerings." These sacrifices did not remove sin. They fulfilled an act of penance for the penitent. The blood was not necessary to remove the sin for the penitent to be forgiven. The verses previously cited in the "what Jews believe" link made that very plain.

If you have individual verses you think refer to the necessity of "the blood of Christ for the cleansing of sin," bring them up for discussion.

A ransom is paid to remove a person from being held against his or her will. Just as the first Passover lambs were slaughtered and became a ransom to free the Hebrews from their bondage in Egypt, Jesus was slaughtered to enact a ransom to free those who believe in what he taught - believe in him - and accordingly faithfully follow to be freed from the bondage of sin.

It will no doubt come across as a bit trite, but I ask you, "the only way" to what? The Father? No, I think God can be apprehended by sincere seekers in religious traditions other than Christianity. John's gospels is an esoteric treatment of the life of Christ and as such I don't think it should be taken as literally as most evangelicals do. But you knew that already and this is ground that's been covered before. At least 4 times, maybe even 5 or 6.

Even for those who understand John's gospel to be more about the anointing Jesus held as the Christ, than about Jesus the man, this makes sense. Because of his messianic anointing Jesus was able to unflinchingly and unselfishly share of himself. He was charismatic and blessed all those who were able to *hear* him and follow. This is also still true today. What he taught about being unselfish, dieing to self, putting others before self, caring for the oppressed and the needy, etc., are universally true and as such are not exclusively Christian. Embracing these universal principles opens the practitioner to a renewed life of spiritual wholeness. That practitioner comes to God - the Father.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,248

For those not familiar with the passage or are too lazy to look it up:

Matthew 16:27-28
    New King James Version (NKJV)

27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    See above post. He couldn't have been more clear. Bible-believers couldn't be more blind on this particular point. C.S. Kewis say it and called it embarrassing, an overreaction on his part. I infer from scripture and history that he returned in the manner in which he intended, entirely consistent with both the symbolism in scripture and with the way God had chastened nations in the past.
  12. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,248
    I always wondered about that passage when I was young. Of course I had never heard of Preterism then either.
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +474
    You just read but you don't understand. Have you ever talked with anyone who has spent 10 times as much time on the Bible as you have watching Gator football? I actually have and many of my questions I had 2 decades ago that questioned certain passages made sense once I was able to sit down with a study group. You can't just read the Bible - you have to want it. I wanted answers, such as who were the race of people outside of the Garden of Eden after Adam and Eve were cast out?

The passage you are alluding to is a glimpse of Heaven, a taste of what's to come. Mark 9:1 is a bit better in getting to the point and it's all about what is going to come.

Here's a great explanation:

After 6 days, Jesus took Peter, James and John, He led them up on this high mountain apart by themselves, and He was transfigured before them. His clothes became shining exceeding white like snow such as no launder on earth could whiten them and Elijah appeared to them with Moses and they were talking to Jesus.
    Now follow this: Jesus was glorified. Moses was there, who represents those who died and are resurrected. Elijah was there, representing those who are translated without seeing death. God the Father comes in a cloud and says, 'This is my Beloved Son.' What they had was a miniature microcosm, a picture of the Second Coming. Jesus said I'm going to give you a snapshot, before you die, of my Kingdom coming. And that's what happened on that mountain right after He made that statement.

That experience, it's called the Mount of Transfiguration experience, was the fulfillment of that. Moses represents the Law, Elijah represents the Prophets, and they were both there to endorse Christ in His Ministry, meaning the Word of God was supporting His Ministry.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I had never heard of it until, as an asst pastor, I was commissioned some years ago to stem the rising "Left Behind" hysteria in the church. In cobbling together what I anticipated would be a dispassionate overview of Revelation ... I got more than I bargained for.
  15. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Thank you for your response.

I don't disagree we all "suffer" penalties for our sins. Sin carries within itself the seeds of its own destruction and we all eventually reap what we sow.
  16. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Why do you want to know?
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    It is so ingrained, the idea of a still-future coming that you and other Bible-believers have Jesus saying, in effect, that some of the men standing with him would still be living SIX DAYS LATER for his transfiguration. Can you see how silly that looks ? And do you have any idea how many passages of scripture have him returning to the generation to which he spoke ?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Thanks for your concern. To keep you on the "straight and narrow," ;) - "he," is a she. :p
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Thanks for pointing out why I occasionally bring out the differences between Lacuna's beliefs and orthodox Christianity. SHE has tremendous communication skills that, I believe, mislead those who MAY (doubtful on Too Hot) be searching.

I believe the consequences of unbelief is condemnation for eternity. The bible makes that very clear. Jesus spoke of Hell more than the rest of the figures in the Bible put together. That makes sense since only He would be familiar with it. He is the authority. When sending the apostles out to spread the word he warned them they would suffer. BUT, he said, fear not those who can kill the body but fear the one who can kill the body and torment the soul in Hell forever.

Let it put it this way. Suppose your neighbor's was on fire at 2 a.m. and you noticed it. Would you warn them? Would you call, beat on the door, call 911? Of course you would. What would you think of the neighbor who didn't?
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  20. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Richmond, with regards to judgment there is a lot of misunderstanding. If you are cheating on your wife, beating your wife, stealing from your employer, call I call you on it? If I do am I judging you? Of course not. What you are doing is wrong and you know it no matter how you may try to justify it.

Now what I am called not to do is, if you are a professing Christian, judge your relationship with God. That is His job. Christians ARE called to be the salt of the earth. The expression comes from curing meat. Without salt it will rot.