What is Foley seeing that we aren't??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorgrl, Nov 30, 2013.

1. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...upports-will-muschamp-20131130,0,6154928.post

"I have total confidence in coach Muschamp," Foley said. "I've made that very, very clear. You know, gotta fix some things and you know when you have seasons like this, that's what you do. You evaluate, you analyze and you fix things. You don't panic.

"Obviously, it's not acceptable. It's not who we are. It's not what we're about. We're confident we can fix it."

After just witnessing AU beat Bama in the HC's 1st year, Im even more depressed. That's what a good coach does. And I wouldn't have minded seeing him in our O and B.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,090
    Retirement
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    I'll even take Petrino :eek:at this point
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Boring Boring x 1
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    the balance sheet
  5. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Foley is seeing $8 million dollars down the drain and his ego bruised. He'll be stubborn to the bitter end.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 350Z33

350Z33 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Too much money to replace him when there isn't much coaching talent available this season...especially with other programs (Texas, Nebraska, and maybe USCw) looking to hire.

Also looks at the season compared to last year and sees lots of losses in starters that probably contributed more to losses than the coaching decisions themselves. Of course that played a part as well, but some bad luck and losses of key players gets this as the result.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,021
    He's seeing himself as infallible. Firing WM would mean he made a mistake in two out of his three hires (and his loyalty towards WM really adds strength to the Machen/Meyer connection), and if that's the case, he's no longer infallible. But if he sticks with him, and WM wins eight next year, then he looks prophetic.

And they'll win at least seven. Maybe even eight. And that's the new normal. But Jeremy's hire did not fail, and that's what is important to him.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Boring Boring x 1
  8. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +273
    Foley took the easy way out. He and Will will get paid good money for poor performance and some on here think that is acceptable. We can't change dumb, cheap moves, but we can bitch. Foley's folly.

I can't wait for the Big Change! As recruits think about Florida's dismal performances on offense, Will is going to take his time. This is where an inexperience coach is a liability. Foley thinks this will work.

Top recruits looking at our inability to coach, seeing Auburn, FSU, Miami rebounding, LSU cranking it up, we don't have a chance. You think we are going to get a Kelvin Benjamin, NOT! Urban is laughing, saying same ole Jeremy, doesn't have a clue. I think I will recruit every recruit Florida is going after, what an easy sell. Play for championships or play Will who doesn't understand an aggressive offense. So when the recruiting ranking come out, don't believe what they will feed you. You can't take the stripes off a tiger.

Hopefully Will has enough sense to get someone with Florida connections. We get another outsider will put us on the slow rebound if at all. Losing to FSU, Ga., Ala., Missouri, LSU, South Carolina next year will be tough to swallow. After his last two hires, I am not feeling good about Will at the helm.
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +567
    I think there's stuff going on behind the scenes that maybe we'll find out about later. Maybe in regards to the OC relationship with either Muschamp and/or the team. It may be that there's a power struggle between Pease and the other offensive coaches as well.

I have to believe that Foley sees how the defensive players are still playing hard for Muschamp and must believe the players themselves still believe in Muschamp. And it's telling to me that the new recruits don't appear to have given up on him either.

I have a feeling that what we'll see as far as changes is going to be far less than most of us would like. I have a feeling the Pease will be let go and Joker Phillips will take over as OC next season. I don't think it makes sense for Foley to bring in a completely new offensive system or staff, plus this would likely minimize negative effects on the recruiting class.

I think he gives Muschamp and the rest of the coaching staff, minus probably Pease and maybe a position coach or 2, next season to show dramatic results or they will all be gone next year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Foley likes being seen as a patient cerebral AD who loves praise from sports talking heads. How he can stick with WM and so quickly fire RZ is amazing. IMO he owes RZ an apology for as bad as RZ was, WM is worse.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    Yeah, sounds about right. Could happen. But I imagine the right coach available after a mediocre 2014 season means they all go.
  12. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Foley's ego is in the way. Us unbiased fans can see the truth about WM.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Incriminating photographs perhaps?
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,663
    This is not about Foley "thinking" this is going to work, it's about "hoping against hope" it's going to work out.

This is all about THE MONEY. Foley knows he hired Muschamp and gave him a real nice, sizeable, multi-million dollar buy-out clause to fire him, so firing him would attach Foley to that multi-million dollar pay-out and he doesn't want that.

This is all about the money and Foley's ego.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    Well, I think the BullGators would pay that buy-out without a problem.

I think it's Foley's ego that cannot be bought out.

Letting Zook go was easier bc he was Foley's third choice at best.

Muschamp was his first choice and he didn't even interview anyone else. His ego cannot fathom that his first and only choice is such a dud and needs to be canned.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  16. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    The AD, who knows infinitely more about what's going on than we do, is just on an ego trip. What a moron. He couldn't possibly have information that would lead him to conclude WM is a good HC. Us unbiased fans would tell him if that were the case :rolleyes:
    • Boring Boring x 1
  17. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,021
    Just out of curiosity, what would that information be? What things could JF see that we don't that would give him this insight? I'm serious with that question -- what information about WM's coaching ability could there be that we don't see in wins and losses?

The only thing I can think of is that JF forced the Pease hire, and WM really doesn't have anything to do with the offense, so JF doesn't think it fair to old WM responsible for it. That's the only explanation for JF's unbridled support I can see.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,663
    That's just it though, his EGO is all about admitting it will cost UF a multi-million dollar buy-out. He doesn't want his name attached to something he did so spur-of-the-moment that would make him look bad to his own peers inside the UAA.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    In hindsight how bad does that look for Foley now? The whole "I made 1 call" quote sounded like a genius full of confidence at the time. Now, its highly questionable. Maybe don't mail it in like that next time, k?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    I couldn't tell you, the same way all the people claiming ego trip can't confirm that to be the case.